“GREAT PRICE oceanfront with fireplace , kitchen and flatscreen!”
Review of Surfside Resort

Surfside Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rockaway Beach
“GREAT PRICE oceanfront with fireplace , kitchen and flatscreen!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This motel has an indoor pool, and couldn't get any closer to the ocean. The view is great, the rooms are clean, flatscreen tv and dvd, full kitchen. I love the fireplace. You are getting everything you would get somewhere else and more, but the prices are much better here. The only thing that reflects the affordable rates is the bedding. Only two pillows, and those motel comforters that are thin, scratchy, and unattractive. I brought some extra bedding, though, and I figure I saved at least 70 dollars staying here compared to my other usual coast spots. We had a perfect stay and plan to come back soon!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank bazinga80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Nice clean resort right on the beach. The Kitchen was fully stocked it had eveything we needed from the stockpot to cook our crab, wire whip to make gravy, coffee filters they even had ice cube trays in the freezer. The beds were comfortable also. The staff at the front office was really nice. They had movies and games at the front office.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front. I would definately stay here again!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank pfoxmn
Taylorsville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed for two nights during a business trip. This place is fabulous for a secluded beach get-away, but not so much for business or luxury-minded guests. Overall, it was fine -- I would definitely stay here again.

First, the good.... The location is great! It's right on the beach, with a stunning coastline jutting out to the right, and the twin rocks just down the coast to your left. The room I had (209, I think) was a corner room with an ocean-front balcony, very large, with a full kitchen - including a dishwasher. Beach access was very easy, just down a short flight of stairs. The older couple staffing the front desk are friendly and hospitable -- like visiting favorite grandparents. The rate was quite reasonable: about $101 per night (with a 15% internet coupon), which was slightly lower than all other beach-front properties in Rockaway Beach at the time of my stay.

But there are some downsides. There are no elevators, which I've learned is actually common for such properties, and not a big deal for me (but might be for others). The balconies have floor-to-roof privacy walls only for a foot or two out on each side -- which is great for an unobstructed view up and down the coast, but not so great for privacy or feeling secure, as guests could theoretically easily hop from one balcony to another over the railings. (It was not an issue when I was there, as my building seemed to be mostly empty, but may be an issue during high-occupancy times.) There is no on-site restaurant. The closest restaurants/bars are about a 20-minute walk or 5-minute drive into the main strip of Rockaway Beach.

For business guests, don't count on the free wifi. It worked fine my first day, but went out my second day. When I called to inquire, the front desk lady politely replied, "Oh yes, someone else called to report a problem." Period. No offer to fix it. When I pressed, she graciously explained that, "only the owner could fix it," and he was never there. I asked if she could contact the owner; there was silence on the line, then an offer to call maintenance to come in and turn it off and back on. (This was a weekday, early afternoon -- not a weekend or evening -- they had to CALL maintenance to come in?) I agreed that might help, because there were no other options offered. I don't know if maintenance tried or not; the wifi didn't work during the rest of my stay, and I didn't try to get help again. To be fair, I was too relaxed, enjoying my book on the deck.

There are other minor good and bad things, which may seem picky, but some readers may appreciate knowing. (I admit that I travel frequently on business, and am accustomed to business hotels, but I also travel with my kids/family, often in less-expensive accommodations, so I think my perspective is grounded.) The 1980's wicker sofa with old, worn-out cushions was not welcoming; I did not sit on it during my stay. Not a problem for me, as I enjoyed reading on the plastic chair on the balcony, but a family should not expect plush couch/chairs. The dishwasher worked fine, and dishwasher soap was provided -- bonus. A sink rag and towel were also provided, fresh and clean, but the sponge "scrubbie" was obviously well-used and nasty. A pack of sponges costs so little -- why is it not replaced with each new guest? The coffee maker was completely disgusting: a 1990's or earlier model, with coffee stains from at least a decade of use. It would cost maybe $10 - $20 to replace the coffee maker, so I don't understand why such a small thing (with such a big impact) is not upgraded every year or so, in a room that's $100+ in the off-season. Finally, the fireplace is gas, with a switch, and looked lovely when I first lit it. But within minutes, the flame went out, and I was left wondering if the gas was still running into my room? I just turned it off - as it was quite warm during my stay - and did not remember to mention this to the front desk staff.

Still, overall, this is a nice beach-front property -- big rooms, full kitchens, ocean-front balconies, easy beach access -- perfect for a beach get-away! And the staff is extremely pleasant and hospitable. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend this property to others for a beach get-away.

Room Tip: Ocean-front rooms with decks have fabulous views! (But no elevators)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Christi B
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed September 22, 2012

we returned here again, and the stay was fabulous as usual. the staff are always so friendly, the place is clean and relaxing, and the pool refreshing. we will always come annually for our coast vacation.

Room Tip: ocean front to view the sea from your balcony
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Teresa M
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Oceanfront Views from the hotel is what makes this place so great and the rates are usually 1/2 the price as everyone else around. The actual resort itself is kind of old and the beds aren't the most comfortable. But it's clean and the resort also has an indoor pool, so if it's too cold to swim in the ocean, we just enjoy the time on the beach and still take the kids swimming at the pool. The staff are always friendly and the private beach entrance makes this place a win-win to get away together as family with little kids. We have stayed here 2 or 3 times and always come back here anytime we want to get away to the coast - especially when out-of-state family come to visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Susan S
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I usually over plan family trips to the Oregon coast but decided to wing it the third week of August. No reservations and no real plan on where to stay. Landed in Rockaway and the first hotel heading South was Surfside. By no means a resort. A two BR ocean front room was available so we looked at the room before committing to stay. First impression was underwhelming. Very dated and not on the high end of clean. One of those places where the less I touch the better. Was getting late and the room view was great so we stayed. Nothing eventful except the ants that swarmed our food in the kitchen area and the grumpy woman at the front desk (actually, she was amusing). Easy walk to the beach, wonderful ocean view but can't recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pdxvtxer
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were only here for two days, but I would have stayed here a week. It was a good size for two people and had a wonderful view of the ocean. The beach was delightful to walk.

This isn't a luxury place by any means, but the bed, living room area, and kitchette were clean and comfortable. The hotel is in a great place not more than 10 minutes to delicious restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a direct view of the beach. We stayed on the first floor, but it was really like being on th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Sea Haven Motel
Sea Haven Motel
#2 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!