“Do Not Stay at this Hotel”

Best Western Salbasgeon Inn & Suites of Reedsport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Reedsport
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Do not stay at this hotel!!!

I am so pissed that they changed my rate at check out!!!

I had booked a special wedding rate in Feb. 2007 for my stay for three nights in August. When I check out they had increased the night rate by $19 a night. No one would do anything to change it. I was accused of lying!!! Terrible people here. I have never ever had a dispute with a quoted price over the decades of staying at hotels.

I will say the Best Western International office believed me and gave me a gift card to cover the difference in price. I did not have written confirmation. Big mistake. Only a confirmation number that they changed!! My mother had her reservation and written confirmation. After much discussion they did change hers, but not mine.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank patannel

Reviewed August 15, 2007

Unfortunately, this is the only game in town if you want a relatively clean place to stay. But for $132/night? We should have stayed up in Florence. The staff is very nice. But the rooms are musty, the two chairs in the corner look like they have not been cleaned in a long time, the pool towels can't wrap around a human being, and you have to walk through the main lobby to get to the pool. The excercize room off the pool is also locked so if you are lucky enough to make your way through the lobby in swimwear without being noticed... you have to return to the front desk to get a key for the work out room. Weird. All in all, not impressed. Had I spent $75/night I would have been much happier.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mikebarrett101
Reviewed February 10, 2007

My husband learned on short notice that he needed to be in the Reedsport area for a few days for work, and I decided to go with him. After checking out the lodging on Trip Advisor, I decided to book the Salbasgeon. We stayed for three nights during the workweek in February.

The staff was very accommodating, giving us a good rate within my husband's per diem and allowing me to stay for no additional cost. They accommodated our wishes for a large room with micro-fridge (not all rooms have them). Midweek in February they had very few lodgers and were willing to give us exactly what we wanted for no additional charge.

Our room, 230, was very close to Highway 101, and traffic was fairly noisy. I would recommend getting a room in the back, away from the main road. The room was extremely clean and quite large, with a separate living area and two televisions (fairly snowy cable but lots of channels).

Breakfast is a bit skimpy but passable. It's served from 6:30 to 9:30 each morning. Offerings include frozen-type waffles, packaged oatmeal, two choices of cold cereal, pastries, bagels, and really good hot cocoa as well as the usual juices, coffee, milk, tea, etc.

There is a nice-looking indoor pool and hottub, but we didn't use them.

While Salbasgeon Inn is probably the nicest lodging in Reedsport, one can also check out the nearby communities of Florence (19 miles north) and Coos Bay/North Bend (22 or so miles south).

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank sherry4803
Reviewed June 1, 2006

My wife and I stayed in Reedsport recently as we travelled up the Oregon Coast. Though we had visited the area many times in the past, we had never stayed in town before but, thanks to a number of soild reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to give the Salbasgeon Inn a try. We probably shouldn't have been so gullible. Though the front desk staff was courteous and our room was certainly decorated pleasantly enough, the parking lot was so poorly laid out that it was impossible to park close to our room. Since the entrances were all outside, we found ourselves dragging our suitcases through puddles of water and up outside stairs, a fact that was hardly condusive to getting our stay off to a good start. The bathroom was microscopic (or maybe even a little smaller) and the breakfast the following morning was simply pathetic, without a doubt the most meager meal that we got during our entire two-week trip. It may be, as some other reviewers have previously noted, that the Salbasgeon is the best motel in Reedsport. If that's so, travellers, unless they are determined to hike the Oregon Dunes, might be better served to drive a few miles farther north to Newport or even Lincoln City.

Reviewed February 19, 2006

My main complaint was that the hot water was not as hot as I like it during the morning hours.

Staff was helpful and friendly. When I realized I had forgot to pack my cord for the high speed internet access, the desk clerk gave me one to use.

Some of the dune buggy people staying there were a bit noisy both at night and in the morning.

Room was pleasant - just no electric outlet near the high speed internet connection port.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank SSMatriarch
A TripAdvisor Member
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed January 5, 2006

I enjoyed the friendly staff and lovely rooms. The rooms were so clean! The pool was heated and indoors so the kids loved it. I would stay at this hotel again in the future and suggest you do as well. 5 stars.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2005

Friendly staff, clean room, ample space. Great pool/Jacuzzi as well! Not many places for dinner in the immediate area, but Winchester Bay only 10 miles away or so for good seafood options. Would hope they will offer free wireless connectivity at some point. :-) Traveling from Portland earlier in the day, and a great place to stop. Would stay if in the area again -

2  Thank J&MDAV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reedsport
Best Western Pier Point Inn
Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay
Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay
#2 of 7 in Coos Bay
Best Western Holiday Hotel

Been to Best Western Salbasgeon Inn & Suites of Reedsport? Share your experiences!