“This Is How It's Done”

Ocean Garden Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 25 Restaurants in Reedsport
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Have you ever been so very tired you couldn't even concentrate to read the menu?
This happened to us last night. Our server, Vivian, just tuned in to that and brought us food. She happened to know we like their potstickers. Hot tea and iced water appeared. I told her "I guess I will get some Sweet and Sour Chicken", and then she began talking and asking questions.
"Do you like spicy?"
"Have you ever had our General Tso Chicken?"
She said she liked it even better than Sweet and Sour. I ordered it. As we waited for the potstickers, she brought us two bowls of their chicken soup. The broth was hot, nearly opaque with the wisps of tender egg, thickened. There were loads of tiny, tender noodles, some peas, carrot and bits of chicken. It had been 10 hours since we ate breakfast, so the soup was like therapy in a spoon. It was a caring gesture in our weary condition.
The potstickers were fat with their meaty filling, perfectly cooked so that they would absorb a bit of the dumpling dipping sauce. We were eating the last of them when the General Tso and rice were delivered.
They made it mild, because my husband likes mild. Vivian brought a small dish of the spicy additive for me to enjoy. The platter full of batter-covered chicken pieces were two-bites each, heaped up high, hot, sticky, crunchy, soft inside and delicious. ( My husband had only wanted french fries...He professes to not enjoy Chinese food, but so far Ocean Garden always pleases his palate.)
I was so happy to see him eat contentedly, and eat some more. We both loved the gooey sauce, plus he dipped some of his General Tso in the dumpling sauce. The chili sauce was very good, especially for those of us that love a flash of heat that quickly subsides to make room for next impressive bite.
The pleasure of dining at Ocean Garden only increases with each visit. This is the way it should be done. When a person goes to eat in an establishment that is a full service restaurant, they are putting themselves in their care, trusting for elements of the meal to be provided.
Notes:
Very clean and comfortable.

2  Thank Laura P

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Ocean Garden is great! You get a lot of food for the money. My family of four gets at least two meals out of a visit, unless we all share. I cannot over recommend this place. The food not only smells good but tastes good. If you eat in you get a never-ending pot of tea, or beverage of choice. The waitstaff are nice. It's just wonderful.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Its great tasting food and the prices are resonable. The staff was friendly. The new location is easy to get to.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

One of our favorite places to eat in Reedsport when we come to town. Its now a family tradition to get together at Ocean Garden and have a big family dinner together and this visit was no different except more of us got together and it was wonderful. Good food, good company, great atmosphere, we were all so happy. Everybody had something different plus we had plenty of appetizers, what a table full we had, We all had to have take away boxes for later snacking on, its always yummy later on when you get hungry again. I ordered the House Special Chow Mein and was not a bit disappointed, it was so delicious! It is still my desire to try a different dish every time we visit and so far they have all been winners. Looking forward to our next trip!

1  Thank Barbara L
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Reedsport is a small town, hit hard by changes in logging industry and hits taken by our national economy as well. Things get quiet early on for those accustomed to the speed of a bigger city, so if you are hungry for hamburgers after 9 o'clock at night, it may appear to be McDonald's or nothing.
My husband had that cheeseburger hungry-on, and he didn't want the golden arches, so I headed to the closest sit down restaurant with a lighted OPEN sign. The building canopy said burgers, but they said only pizza was available because the half of the establishment with wait service had just closed for the night. One of the employees suggested going to Ocean Garden because he thought they were open until 10 pm. He said they are a Chinese restaurant with American dishes also, including pretty good hamburgers.
Ocean Garden was one block over. The server-hostess said they were only open for takeout. I told her what happened and she sweetly let us come in. She brought us a pot of hot tea, ice water without asking and as soon as we sat. We ordered the potstickers, a bacon cheeseburger and regular cheeseburger. Your burger comes with fries. They have Pepsi products, cold mustard and ketchup brought out. It wasn't Vivian's first day on the job.
We loved the potstickers. My husband is picky and he always thinks he won't enjoy something that wasn't his idea, but he ate half of the meaty dumplings, dipping up plenty of the tasty potsticker sauce with every bite. My bet is that next time he will be the one ordering them!
Our burgers were hot, buns soft and fresh, bacon and cheese exactly centered, everything prepared to perfection. I put some of the potsticker sauce on my sandwich. (Yum. ) Ample amount of fries ( I couldn't finish mine. ) We were brought fortune cookies with our bill.

Ocean Garden has simple, classy decor. It is very clean, relaxed lighting, tables and booths and they didn't even have to let us in for dinner. But they served us well, and we were happy.
Families of the people working were arriving as we finished our meal. Many bowls of enticing foods were brought out for everyone to fill their plates and eat. Their mood was calm and everyone wore smiles as they caught up with one another. It made me remember how gratifying it feels to finally recover and be nourished at the end of my work day as my family and I had dinner.
This is a great place. The menu is full of delicious things I cannot wait to eat the next time. They took care of us like we were family that showed up hungry, and by doing so, this Ocean Garden restaurant will take care of their families. One bite, one sip, one kindness at a time.