“Great escape”

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Reedsport
More attraction details
Owner description: A forty-mile recreational area along the coast of Oregon consisting of thirty lakes, dunes, campgrounds and hiking trails.
Boxford, Massachusetts
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great escape”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Very nice dunes with great water views. The dunes did not look all that high but thought differently when we started climbing. We went in May and it was very windy and cool. Bring a windbreaker. The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and walking along the beach. The only downside was that much of the area is open to dune buggies. We would have walked further had they not been there.

1 Thank Boxford01921

Seattle
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Wildlife found nowhere else on earth!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A natural wonder located on the Central Oregon Coast right off Hwy 101, has the fun, adventure, and unique wildlife. Cougar, Bear, Bob Cats, and a bird watchers paradise with many one-of-a-kind species of birds. Some live only in the Sand Dunes National Recreation Area because the water within the dunes is filtered through the sands and that is what makes it so pure. These unique species live here for the need of that pure water.
If you love adventure you can rent or be driven in a dune buggy that will take you for a fun ride throughout this marvelous back country. Camping, Fishing, Crabbing, hiking, and a life time of memories. Stop at the interpretive center at the northern end of the area just off Hwy 101 at the small coastal town of Reedsport. Its all 5 stars and I would give this beautiful place a ten if I could.

1 Thank William F
Long Beach, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“You need some experience but it can be fun”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This place really can challenge your abilities. I took a dune too steep for my experience level and rolled my ATV on myself and had to have help getting it off me. So make sure you go with someone that knows the dunes and knows your level of experience so you do not get surprised. Going during the week is best because there are not many people there. The little kids were happy riding on the fairly flat stuff.

1 Thank Sailing_Sweetie
Freeland, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome sights”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We visited the Dunes in the early morning; no crowds, no traffic. The Dunes took our breath away and this was also our first sight of the Pacific Ocean. Glorious!

Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Washington
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Such an amazing place!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My family and I have been here numerous times our most recent trip was June 2012. We spent several days in the Dunes playing and exploring in our Land Rover. If you are adventures and explore long enough you can find places of complete solitude. We found a place 20 miles off paved road that we camped at for 4 days in that time we saw only 2 other people. There are miles of dunes and trails to explore. my favorite area is near Florence.

Visited June 2012