“Such an amazing place!”

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Reedsport
More attraction details
Owner description: A forty-mile recreational area along the coast of Oregon consisting of thirty lakes, dunes, campgrounds and hiking trails.
Vancouver, Washington
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Such an amazing place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My family and I have been here numerous times our most recent trip was June 2012. We spent several days in the Dunes playing and exploring in our Land Rover. If you are adventures and explore long enough you can find places of complete solitude. We found a place 20 miles off paved road that we camped at for 4 days in that time we saw only 2 other people. There are miles of dunes and trails to explore. my favorite area is near Florence.

Visited June 2012

Sutherlin, Oregon
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Not just for ATVs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We love the Oregon dunes beaches, especially after a storm. Great sand beachcombing, and most of the ATV folks never set foot on the beach. The Lighthouse is another great attraction and provides an excellent lookout point for whalewatching. It can be noisy with ATV traffic. You'll need a national parks pass to park, or I think its $5/day for daily parking in the beach parking lots. Pack a picnic or eat fresh catch at the marina.

Visited January 2013
Cheshire
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Always fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We go there often and My son is out riding on the dunes almost every weekend. Such a magical place. I've been going there since I was a child and I love it my kids get to enjoy it also.

Visited September 2012
West Linn
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“For hikers only”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I tried a dune buggy once and although I love vehicles I was completely bored by the whole thing. Noisy, smelly, and out of touch with the beauty of the place. Not for me, though I know that many like it and that's fine.
So this is about hiking in one of the few places in the dunes that's both large and reserved for foot traffic only, the North Eel area just south of Reedsport and not far from Tugman State Park. There's a USFS campground, North Eel, that's right at the edge of the dunes and just south of that is a day-use parking area. You can begin your hike at either place.
If you plan to hike far, or if it's hot, be sure to take a good supply of water. Always be prepared for cold winds and since this is Oregon it's not a bad idea to be prepared for rain. It's surprisingly easy to get lost on sand dunes so keep that in mind. If you intend to go to the ocean you'll be walking 2 1/2 miles on sand and perhaps wading through a long patch of cold water in the band of forest along the edge of the final dunes.
This is a beautiful place with some of the tallest dunes in Oregon, all a fine golden color. There are many small sand lakes hidden in the dunes, as well as small pine forests. You can find quicksand (none that will swallow you, at least to my knowledge) along the edges of some of these lakes. Your water dog will love these spots as will kids.
Keep an eye out for the tracks of raccoons, squirrels, birds, coyote, bobcats and the occasional bear or cougar. Soaring raptors are seen here all the time, as well as many species of songbirds and shore birds. Early and late are the times to go because that's when the light is best to highlight the beauty of the place.
If you do get lost keep in mind that on the north and the south edges of this area there's a stream that leads back to the highway. Just a thought.
The North Eel campground doesn't have hot water but it does have flush toilets and very nice campsites. I prefer it to the bigger and noisier state park across the road. But North Eel can fill up fast during high season in the summer. Once it warms up, due to the standing water, there are plenty of mosquitoes to torment you. And, as I said, be prepared for rain any time of the year.

Visited May 2012
8 Thank Mike L
Oregon
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great place for walking and hiking dunes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a coastal jewel. Pack a picnic and explore, just don't get lost. You can hike ocean front and dodge waves, or you can take a great exercise walk in the sandy dunes. In some places you can use the buggies, but I tend to like the quiet, so I use walking trails.

Visited September 2012