“Enormous sweet onion rings calling me back!”

Harbor Light Family Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Reedsport
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Springfield, Oregon
“Enormous sweet onion rings calling me back!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Although I've been through Reedsport a number of times over the years, I am seldom there during mealtime. But, leaving Bandon a little later than we usually do, it was almost lunch by the time we reached Reedsport and decided to stop at the Harbor Light Family Restaurant. The small dining room was really full but we managed to get the last table that wasn't reserved.

I noticed there was a large selection of sandwiches and seafood entrees on the menu as well as BBQ chicken and ribs and even chicken and seafood pot pies. A glass case was filled with tempting handmade desserts, too, including marionberry and apple crisps, bread pudding, peanut butter cup pie drizzled with chocolate and a freshly baked carrot cake stuffed with raisins.

The entire back wall was a chalk board with lists of local Oregon wines and microbrews available.

I really wished I had been more hungry with so many delicious choices. But, I decided on just a hamburger with onion rings as I had a long drive ahead to reach home. When my hamburger arrived, I found it had a very generous patty that was juicy without being greasy. The bun had also been lightly toasted. The onion rings were so large they took up almost two thirds of the plate. They were obviously made from freshly sliced onion and the batter was so light and crisp it was like eating tempura. The onion rings were so filling I could only eat half of my hamburger since it too was brimming with freshly sliced tomatoes, onions, and lettuce. The waitress brought me a large box so I could take everything that was left with me.

I'm definitely looking forward to my next visit!

Oregon Coast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,680 helpful votes
“A favourite of ours”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Since we first visited this restaurant in 2011, we have returned many, many times! We've learned to come at odd hours, particularly in summer or on weekends as they are always busy.

This time, we saw some changes. The menus were new! They are kind of large and a little awkward to use as it's not the largest seating area inside. (Smaller ones with several pages might have made more sense, to be honest.) The blackboard at the back now has beer and wine listed.

We arrived quite early on a summer Sunday and were seated immediately. I had the smoked chicken and my husband had the smoked ribs. Both were honestly "smoked", not just baked and smothered in BBQ sauce. Both were good and of course we had leftovers to take home :-)

Service was good as always.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank half-Brit
seattle, washington
“Chicken pot pie worth the wait”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were hungry and passing through Reedsport. So happy to have found this restaurant! The service was efficient without being impersonal. We were told when we ordered that it would take a little longer to bake the chicken pot pie because it is made to order, and the time passed quickly. The pie had lots of dark chicken meat, potatoes, the usual vegetables, and a puff pastry top. This had obviously been made from scratch. Despite being located on Rte 101 and obviously an easy place for travelers such as ourselves to stop in never to be seen again, there were also locals. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The dining area is small, and it is easy to hold a conversation with the table next to you if you are so inclined. The desserts displayed in the counter case looked wonderful, but we had no room left to give them a taste. I'll remember this place for future travel.

Lightwater Uk
“Excellent restaurant”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel receptionist and arrived shortly after 7pm on Saturday night. This was lucky as by 7.45 there was a considerable wait for tables. The menu is good and covers most tastes, we had the Elk burger and chicken pot pie, both of which were great. The service is spot on, very attentive without being overdone, with good quality food and value, it's not hard to see why this the place to eat in town, but remember it is small and very popular, so get there early.

West Linn
“Good food in a friendly spot”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I've eaten at Harbor Light many times over quite a few years and have always enjoyed it. I was reminded of the place during a camping/sightseeing trip we took with some friends just this week. We had dinner there and then breakfast a few days later. It's not stuffy gourmet food, and it's also not gigantic plates of carbs and fats. Harbor Light serves up good, fresh seafood, tasty and nicely prepared vegetables, and offers a nice array of beer and wine. They also have meats (including elk and wild boar), very good desserts, and breakfasts from the traditional to the more unusual.

If you're traveling in the dunes area on the Oregon coast this place is worth a visit any time of the day. By the way, in my view the prettiest drive from the Willamette Valley to the coast is along highway 38/138. If you're coming from the south all of highway 38 is a fine drive. And south of Reedsport is the Dallenbeck Dunes wayside, which is a fine place to stop and hike on the biggest dunes in Oregon, with no machines to run you over.