“Best Fish and Chips in Central Oregon!”
Review of McBain's British Fish n Chips - CLOSED

McBain's British Fish n Chips
Cuisines: Seafood
Oregon
“Best Fish and Chips in Central Oregon!”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We visited McBain's for the first time after hearing quite a bit about it and are so glad we did! Great ambiance of Scotland - with 2 hi -def screens showing a Scottish travelogue and beautifully framed scenes of Scotland on the walls. I really liked that having visited Scotland myself.
But it's the food that really stood out. They had Halibut Cheeks for the special of the day with choice of salad and house-cut fries. We both got the special with coleslaw. We knew going in that fish and chips is always deep fat fried, but these were really light and barely greasy at all, cooked perfectly. The halibut cheeks were the best I've had since Alaska. The coleslaw was lightly dressed, not dripping with mayo, so I really liked that, too. And the house-cut fries were TOO good!

They have a nice selection of local brews on tap, as well. I will definitely be going whenever I'm in the area and highly recommend it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank akdjh

Klamath Falls, Oregon
“Good Fish and British Decor”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The restaurant is located in a strip mall next to Fred Meyer in Redmond. Casual atmosphere with irish music (i guess) playing and large pictures of Great Britain, Scotland and Ireland on the walls. Good beer on tap and authentic english/irish beers bottles and cans.
The fish and chips were good and my wife loved the oysters. Cole slaw was very good with a hint of heat. Horseradish. We split a meal and had plenty for 2 people. There are a lot of ways to order. You can order a standard meal and add other items and there are more sides on a whiteboard to choose from. We would go back again.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank RYGolfGuy
Sisters, Oregon
“Light on atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

McBain's is a small restaurant across from Fred Meyer. Very clean, simple tables and seating. Nothing fancy or upscale. So the atmosphere is OK, but I didn't feel like I went to Great Britain. It was nice and quiet inside, which was really nice for just relaxing and having conversation without lots of noise. The staff was very friendly, very personable. We had fish and chips and oysters. Both were very good. They don't have a dessert menu yet, but are considering one. But the reality is if they had dessert we were so full we probably would have had to pass. Their beverages were very fairly priced. A glass of wine was $4.00, beers around the same. I would go back, especially for the oysters. If I lived in Redmond I would probably do take out as well.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Jim&Jane
Wine Country, north of San Francisco
“Hooray”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hooray; McBains is Back and Here to Stay

For those who frequented McBain’s British Fish “n” Chips last year from their food trailer that was parked near Walgreens on Hwy 97 and Veterans Way, may not know he is back but in a permanent location near Baldy’s Barbeque between Veterans and the West side of Fred Meyer. He is open Tuesdays thru Saturday, 11am to 8pm, and Sundays, 12 noon to 8pm. Along with his superb fish ‘n’ Chips, Oysters, and shrimp, he now serves local beer and wine. Everything is very tasty without the grease. Even though the fries were the larger cut type they were crispy and not limp or soggy. You can’t stop eating them. I like to dip my chips in the tartar sauce. Alistair McBain is the real deal. Born in the Scottish Highlands, his thick accent comes with your not so wee fish. The fish servings are above average when compared to other places. Don’t be surprised if the owner wanders out to greet you as he does on occasion. The price is fair, especially for the quality and quantity you receive. Staff is attentive and friendly. Some outside tables are also available for when the weather is nice.

Thank You McBain and Staff for making Redmond, Oregon your permanent home.

• Visited June 2013