“Gigantic rock!”

Crater Lake 3-Day Tour from Portland
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Redmond
“Gigantic rock!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

You might just see the pics of rocks and decide not to go there. But I'm telling you are about to make wrong decision! You better go there otherwise you know nothing about central oregon.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Eugene, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Bucket List”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My favorite hike anywhere in the world and a must for any bucket list! It can get slippery though, so good tread on your hikers really helps. Beautiful views!

Visited January 2013
Portland, Oregon
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Must get back here to hike”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Unfortunately I only stopped by to take a peek. From the vista points around the park you can see the trail to the "misery ridge" hike. I have to say, I will definitely be coming back for the hike since it promises a 360 degree view of all our Oregon mountain peaks!

Central Oregon
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Beautiful Hike and Vistas”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Ok, I'm biased towards Central Oregon anyway, but this is one of our favorite spots to visit. Allow about 3-4 hours to hike around the base and up and over the "Misery Ridge" trail. Take Misery Ridge to the top and enjoy the surrounding view! Must have sturdy shoes, water, sunblock, (maybe even a small snack), and be in relatively good shape. We see 'tweens on the trail all the time, but unless you are up to holding or carrying your small children, leave them with a baby sitter. There are a few spots where small kids may not appreciate how far of a drop-off there is; danger does exist! Watch the rock climbers too. Jogging strollers would be ok around the base trail, but no way on the Misery Ridge.

$5 day use parking fee (ticket is $110, so get the parking pass, plus it goes back to the park and its upkeep).

Washington
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Smith Rock State Park - intense hike but worth it!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you enjoy scenic views of deep river canyons or rock climbing, Smith Rock State Park is the place for you!

We went in the middle of July and made the mistake of getting out there about 9:00. Looking back I would have been there at first light so that we were climbing in the cooler hours of the morning. However, with that said, I wouldn't change the experience we had. The hike up the stairs, over 200 of them on a trail called Misery Ridge (aptly named), through switch-back corners and over dusty trails, I would do again just to be able to see the jaw dropping views of the lush green valleys, the mountain ranges and the multi-colored rock formations.

We enjoyed watching the rock climbers scale the straight edged cliffs while hanging on by just a rope! We witnessed eagles gliding over us while searching for fish in the river that hugs the canyon as well as fawn frolicking in the meadow near the river.

If you take the trail to the left then you are able to see Monkey Face rock as you walk along the backside of Smith Rock but be prepared to walk down all of the stairs. I'm certainly glad that we did the stairs first because by the end of the 3.18 mile hike in the hot weather I was glad that the terrain was fairly level because I was feeling the heat. I saw many people with small children who were not wearing the right shoes or carrying lots of water with them. Please, please, please take a Camelback or backpack with you that holds water because you will definately need it!

If you pay attention to the trail when you going down the backside (and you can still see Monkey Face) watch for the little cave you can climb into. It makes a great place to take a picture of Monkey Face because the rock frames Monkey Face.

The view at the top of Smith Rock will leave you speechless as well as breathless. Don't miss it!