“Best in Redmond” 5 of 5 bubbles

Diego's Spirit Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 134 Restaurants in Redmond
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Redmond, Oregon
“Best in Redmond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Diego's is a great find. The food is fantastic. We've had the following and were all excellent. Carne Asada Burrito, carnitas burrito, tostada and seafood chile relleno. The black beans and rice are also very tasty. Salsa is great. To top it off the service has always been top notch and the prices are very reasonable.

2 Thank Lora H

Eugene, OR
“Good Mex and Brews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The two item special with ymmy black beans and rice. Salsa was a bit on the hot side. Chile relleno, tostada, enchilada and burrito
were all good but not great.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank KWAJT
vancouver, wa
“A Surprise Find in Redmond Or”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Diego's has an upbeat atmosphere and is right on the main street. We vacation in Central Oregon frequently and have eaten here seven times in the last year. Food is always excellent as is the service. It is not a typical Mexican restaurant . The menu though leaning toward Mexican has many other types of entrees, each presented well, and portions are large. ( Might consider having a salad or soup and splitting an entree.) The Osso Busco ( sp?) is rich, filling.The seafood and chicken salads are full of the seafood or chicken. We took guests last week and they ordered steak, seafood pasta, burritos, dinner salads. I had pork carnitas ravioli swimming in a creamy sauce, lovely. None left hungry, and all were pleasantly surprised at the quality of their dinner. We like sitting outside in good weather, quieter. They take reservations for only groups of six or more. You can't go wrong dining here, but go early on a weekend if you are in a small group, ]wait time can be long.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank scooter44_9
Los Angeles, California
“Yummy! Where am I?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Delicious Diego burrito! Salsa spicy, but irresistable. Nice outdoor seating.... This place is a keeper!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Soysauced
Olympia, Washington
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I've rated at least half a dozen restaurants "excellent" since the new "is this one of the best ever meals..." question began popping up on TA, and each time I've thought, "sure this was an excellent meal or excellent dining experience, but not even close to BEST EVER..."

Well, our meal at Diego's WAS one of the best I've ever enjoyed. I can't recall a meal where I so looked forward to every bite, and my wife felt the same. I had the seafood chile relleno, and Pat had a shrimp over rice dish. Both were outstanding.

In addition to tourist travel in Mexico, I spent a month in the NE of the country as the guest of Mexican Rotarians, so I have been exposed to enough Mexican cuisine to know it is very local and eclectic. From my experience I doubt Diego's is offering authentic Mexican anything. What it does offer is inspired, brilliant fare using many Mexican ingredients and techniques, but not in any way limited to one culture or one method of preparation or presentation. If I'm wrong about this I hope someone will tell me where in Mexico I need to go to enjoy food this wonderful on a consistent basis. I recall the menu offered penne and raviolis, which don't seem to me to be Mexican.

I had the leftovers from my wife's rice/shrimp entree for breakfast, and it reminded me more of the Pakistani biryani's I used to reheat for breakfast in my traveling days than anything Mexican... tasty and terrific irrespective of "origin."

The place was full when we arrived at 7:45 on a Tuesday, but they promised a table within ten minutes and we were called in less than that. Our drink orders were taken promptly and arrived in good time. The food took longer, but I'm thinking that is because a lot of the prep work is done after you order. It couldn't taste that fresh any other way, is my guess. In Tampico the Mexicans were justifiably proud of their seafood places, but nothing I ate there came close to Diego's.

The noise I read about exists, just the way a bustling Italian restaurant will be "energy" loud, but it was easy to converse in normal tones at our table, and like any good Italian place there is no concern for privacy because noise level keeps your conversation at your table.

We liked it enough we altered plans and returned the next day for lunch. Not as spectacular, but still excellent. The beans, rice, and coleslaw alone seemed good enough to me I could relish a meal of them without the wonderful crab & shrimp enchilada I ordered. The lunch menu had close to a dozen burgers options, I noticed, confirming this is an eatery without portfolio, in addition to being a great Mexican restaurant.

I'll organize any future trips to Central Oregon around a meal here, I'm sure.

3 Thank SkykomishBob