“It says they don't sell animals????”

The Sloth Center at Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Rainier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center and the Sloth Captive Husbandry Research Center are NOT "for public entertainment" facilities, we are a by tour only wildlife conservation center. All contact must be made either via our online reservations booking system (located on our website) or via email. We do not employ reception staff to take phone calls. The Sloth Captive Husbandry Research Center sustains the largest population of long-term captive adult sloths in the world. Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center is a tiny, intimate, highly specialized Conservation Center with a focus on research and advancement of captive husbandry and viable sustainability of captive populations of unique and endangered species. Because Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center & The Sloth Center works with predominately endangered and delicate species, it is NOT a for public entertainment "Zoo" and is only open with a tour-guide and according to the seasonal schedule on our "tours" webpage. The Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center works hand-in-hand to support the Sloth Captive Husbandry Research Center in it's passion for the betterment of sloth populations both in captivity and in the wild.The Sloth Captive Husbandry Research Center has made significant advancements in not only captive husbandry of sloth but also in captive sloth breeding and veterinary care.
Reviewed December 22, 2015 via mobile

I know for a fact they sell animals because I've bought from them. The park seems to be basically an exotic animal collectors property. It says conservation , but many animal collectors believe they are helping conserve wildlife. The place seems up kept at the least and the animals seem to be healthy. The lady I spoke with was not the kindest person I've met by any means. She doesn't really want anyone on her property ,but I can't imagine she could afford to feed all those animals if she didn't allow visitors to see her collection or sell off a few over bred species.

Date of experience: January 2015
"instructions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed December 4, 2015

This place is magical.
The animals are very well taken care of and the program is amazing. My friend and I got to spend a night with 11 sloths. We got to feed them (it's a lot of work ha), we got to pet them and observe their behavior. They are the cutest, most gentle and loving animals I have ever encountered.
The lady who runs the program is VERY knowledgable and LOVES every single animal in her care. She is outstanding and dedicated her whole life to safe and rescue animals.
If you get a chance this is a MUST-DO!!

Date of experience: November 2015
2  Thank JulieJK1218
Reviewed June 27, 2015

I happened upon this place through TripAdvisor, actually. I was looking for local restaurants, and found this, instead. (On the attractions page, not the restaurant page. That would be weird.) When I saw they had a carnivore encounter on my birthday, I threw all my money at the screen and started glee-squealing in tones only dogs can hear. Loudly.

There are quite a few rules visitors have to follow, as this is *not* a public zoo. (Or a public space at all -- the caretakers share with the public only if it's safe for the animals and the humans, for educational purposes only.) Wear long sleeves and long pants. Fill out a waiver. Make sure your shoes are closed-toe. No loud voices. Things that aren't just common sense, but insurance mandated for a private conservation facility. Perfectly reasonable requirements.

And once the encounter begins, you get to be face-to-face with creatures that are so beautiful that it seems unreal. Wolves, wild cats, binturongs. You're allowed to ask -- and encouraged to ask! -- questions, and your guide tells you things.

If I had a complaint -- and I don't -- it's only that it goes by too quickly. The time is over, and you're back to reality, changed from all you've learned and experienced.

I'll be going back again just as soon as I possibly can, and I'd recommend it highly for adults. (There were no children in my group, but I'm sure if your child is calm and well-behaved, it would be good for them, too.) Thank you, ZWCC, for making this the best birthday *ever*.

7  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed June 24, 2015

This is an amazing place helping animals and doing great research. That they are willing to have people come interact with the animals is incredible. It is not a petting zoo and not suitable for small children.
You are actually touching and being climbed on by wild animals. Wild animals that have been very well socialized. Or you get to help socialize the babies.

You have to love and respect the animals as much as the people here do. If you do, your visit will be amazing too.

2  Thank J B
See more reviews
Reviewed June 21, 2015 via mobile

This was a wonderful experience and I will never forget it! I did the sloth sleep-over and wolf camp-out. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Their main priority is the safety of the animals and visitors so read all of the instructions carefully and follow the rules to a "T", then you're in for a fantastic time. I recommend wearing several layers because it does get cold. My top layer had a hole in it so I could toss it out afterwards (this mad it easy since I was flying back the next night). Be sure to bring a camera! You're in for an adventure!

3  Thank EmilyKParola

Travelers who viewed The Sloth Center at Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center also viewed

Been to The Sloth Center at Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center? Share your experiences!