“Looking for a non-maintained fire trap? Stay here!!”
Review of Union Creek Resort

Union Creek Resort
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our cabin, #19 may be the worst of the lot. The bathroom floor tile was caved-in and crushed. It looked like someone cleaned fish in the bathroom sink with a bowie knife- it was all gouged up. The shower enclosure was coming off the wall, and the black mold all around the tub had been caulked over with clear silicone. Any other repairs or maintenance that were evident were done with duct tape. The roof had three different tarps on top to keep out the rain. There was at least 1/2 inch of dried pine needles on the roof and around the base of the cabin. Any errant cigarette butt or lightining and the cabin would have be up in flames instantly. We left a day early and didn't even bother arguing for our money back- thats how demoralizing the stay was for my entire family. We didn't even try the restaurant or ice cream shop because I didn't want to give the place any more business than necessary.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NerdDaddy

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was a fabulous ending to our National Park Tour. We had been on the road for two weeks. Some stays were good, some were not. We landied our feet at the Union Creek....Lucky us. Cabin #3 was just what the doctor ordered. No phone, no T.V., quiet and charming. Beckies across the street has home cooking and great pies. The staff was great. We have been all over the world and stayed @ 5 star hotels. Union Creek has no fancy perks...Just God's backyard. We loved it. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kathleen m
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Nice place to stay. We were lucky to get a cabin that had been remodeled. The one that our friends got hadn't been and it smelled bad. Becki's was the best!! We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there. Nice and close to Crater Lake which was Amazing!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CMoge
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed here about 25 years ago and had fond memories of the cabin and Beckie's cafe across the street. I usually visit Crater Lake each year in September but wanted a quick getaway earlier this year so flew to Medford and thought Union Creek Resort would be great. Hmmm- do they have new owners? My cabin was okay (#6, sounds like the best one) but no carpeting and I would expect more for $140. Very dark but that is how they were originally built Mostly, there is something wrong here with the management and staff. A friend bought me a gift certificate in advance (a surprise) for my stay by calling, so I could use it in the store. All was okay with that until I tried to use the remainder of it when the owner was at the desk, I had to ask if he was the owner as his manner was so gruff and unfriendly I couldn't believe it, he acted suspicious of the certificate, as if it were written on plain paper rather than an official Union Creek Resort paper, which it was. Wow, what a grouch. Perhaps business is bad, but maybe he should get a clue that he might be the reason why? His staff of young people appear to be frightened, clueless and tense, the atmosphere is not as it appears on the website. It is not welcoming, not professional, clearly struggling. The area is stunning of course, and the 30 minute beautiful drive up to Crater Lake, plus the raging Rogue River across the road make this location wonderful. But the cabins need some care- yes they are "historical" and very old but they suffer from neglect and it smacks of greed to charge so much without putting in more effort. My large kitchen had an almost gone roll of paper towels and few dishes. I had to pay for the DVD player. No supervision of eho is put in which cabin- a very large group (10?) of young people were housed next to me in a larger cabin and built a large bonfire outside, staying up very late, extremely noisy. Yes it is typical but there were too many of them in one cabin and there was no one around to enforce night quiet time. And this was in early June before real tourist season begins! Just not gracious hospitality! I wonder if the owner is aware of the Internet and in this economy how bad reviews can effect your business? If not, this place won't have much more history, and since it is an institution, that would be a tremendous loss. This "resort" has seen better days, and with some effort and good use of money, it could be lovely. Too bad.

Room Tip: If you stay as a couple, get room #6 with the king bed, but only if you really need to stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Epiphany1953
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Cabins were old and musty.. and just downright dirty looking. We had our dog with us and they charged us $15 extra for the dog! I took one look and told them we couldn't stay here, no refund, but we left anyway. Don't waste your money on this place.

Room Tip: Travel south about 30 minutes, there is a pet friendly hotel on the river called the Edgewater, rive...
Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emc7156
Reviewed May 16, 2012

It depends a great deal on which accommodation you get or choose here I understand. Some of the cabins have been remodeled. We stayed in one of the Forest Service (we were told) cabins (#14) that the management isn't allowed to upgrade (we were told) and it was old and funky but clean and not very comfortable. To be fair, we were staying in a large cabin designed for large groups. Nonetheless, the front step was scattered and pretty hazardous stones, the furnishings were old and very worn and the flooring was split and the sub floor showed through. All of this would have been tolerable except for the price charged- a bargain we were told at $125.00 for the night's stay. If you were part of a large group of people ready to have fun on vacation all of this would have been more palatable and perhaps even amusing at the regular price of $235.00 night. Even then the coffee maker that didn't work; the burned out or inoperable lights over the sink in the full bathroom and the list of chores that one had to accomplish upon leaving or face additional charges were not consistent with the title 'resort'. Those included: washing any dishes used, stripping the beds, starting the washer with a load of used towels and taking out the trash. That sort of thing is more consistent with staying at your aunt's house on the coast for FREE!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ready2go14
Reviewed March 24, 2012

My boyfriend, daughter and I stayed in cabin 9, after buying one nights' stay on LivingSocial. The staff and owners were pleasant and accommodating; they had our cabin warmed when we got there (weather in the 30s), and the location was prime for visiting Crater Lake.
The cabin was new with pine walls and floor, cozy with a twin and double bed. This was our type of place and I viewed the room online before booking- which I highly recommend if you have never stated in a true cabin. Great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Sass1037

Been to Union Creek Resort? Share your experiences!