“Generally a Good Place to Stay”

Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House
Ranked #1 of 1 Prospect B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed for two nights earlier this month at the hotel. The staff was very helpful and pleasant and really knew a lot about the area.. The meals were fairly good, although the breakfasts were very heavy. My one complaint was that the air conditioning was turned off at night and the room was very hot. We could not open the windows because there were no screens.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 17, 2010

We reached Prospect Inn at around 2:30- 3 am after visiting Portland during the day. The hotel staff made all arrangements for us to get into our rooms with minimum delay.
The rooms and bathrooms were nice and clean.
The best part of the stay for me is the bed . It is just like the bed I had in my hometown.
For all you who like a firm mattress , this is the best mattress you will get to sleep in!

There is a running stream which flows near by the Inn, and this makes the setting perfect for people looking for a get away from the busy city life.
Definitely recomend folks to stay at Prospect Inn, because we all deserve a good time during our vacation.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ram1_10
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Upon arrival everything appeared to be great! The town is small and the front-desk staff were polite and helpful. We had dinner at the dinner house which was good. The trouble came after we checked out. Four days after returning home I get a letter in the mail stating that they were charging us $100.00 for smoking in the room, this was unacceptable because all three of the people in my party are non-smokers. But apparently the maids found ashes and cigarette butts in our room. When I asked where these were found in the room, the man I spoke to on the phone said he didn't know and that he couldn't tell me. He also said the smell was so strong they had to change the sheets and curtains. I stayed one night and yes the room smelled a little weird (like most motels do) when we first arrived, but no where near how he described it. I don't mind paying fees when I actually cause damage or any other issues arrive, after all, I paid an extra $15 to have my dog there, why didn't I just sneak her in? Especially if I was planning a smoke out in my room wouldn't i have gone outside where I saw an ashtray and deck chairs? What really gets me is when I'm held accountable for something I did not do and that I KNOW did not occur.

The women staff at the front desk and the dinner house were great, but if you stay here watch out for extra fees after the maids come to clean your room. I would not stay here again...even more so since they didn't even try to hear me out when I called them after receiving the letter.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank piddlepuddle
SOInnKeeper, General Manager at Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2010

This reviewer is reacting to charges for smoking in our rooms! ALL of our rooms are non-smoking. They are labeled as such on the doors and in the rooms. Our online reservations system that she used to book her room states that all rooms are non-smoking. Smoking in a room will incur a fee of $100.00. She had to accept these terms to book a room.
Upon departure our housekeeping staff found the room “Reeks of Smoke” as reported by the Housekeeper (they are housekeepers – NOT maids) responsible for that room on her paperwork and to our Head of Housekeeping. Cigarette butts were stashed in an open plastic bottle soaking in water. This mini-suite two bedroom unit had to have all curtains taken down and cleaned, all the linens washed and cleaned including the bedspreads, plus the carpet shampooed to remove the smoke odor. Additionally we had to run a special electrical machine to remove the remaining smell. Our housekeeping staff actually incurred more than $100 in expenses to clean the room back to our NON-Smoking standards. However as our policy states violating the policy will incur charges of $100; we only charged her the $100.
When Miss Piddle Puddle (her screen name) called I clearly identified myself as the Manager, by name. I listened to her story in full and told her I didn’t know who in her party smoked; but someone CLEARLY had smoked in the room. She tried to say that the room was that way when she checked in! I pointed out that she would not have accepted the room in that condition and she backed down from that story. Then her story changed to NOBODY smoked.
She was told we could not identify who in her party smoked; but as she had made the reservation and signed the agreement accepting the responsibility to pay for any damage her group created she was the one being charged.
She stated that she was as a member of law enforcement and I should not charge her or she would have to talk to her friends and associates about us. I am not sure what her involvement with law enforcement has to do with the damages her party caused, except as an attempt to coerce me to drop the charges in fear of repercussions.
Later we received an email from someone reportedly the father of Miss Piddle Puddle’s partner, who reiterated that they “didn’t do it” and again the subject of her involvement in law enforcement was brought up with insinuations of actions they would take.

NONE of this has anything to do with the quality of the stay. They had a great time as she has stated.

Trip Advisor is not a place to vent your grief for getting charged for violating standard policies on smoking and being charged appropriately as she agreed to do. If she truly felt this was an inappropriate charge, then a simple contact to her credit card company would be the correct course of action. They would investigate it, and decide the correct fees or not as presented via the evidence.
Miss Piddle Puddle’s party smoked in the room, that we are sure. Now that they have been charged for the damages, they are claiming they didn’t do it (most smoking violators say we “didn’t do it”). They are trying to intimidate us with the ‘law enforcement’ claims, and are USING Trip Advisor as leverage.
We are a Non-Smoking establishment. We have to keep our rooms smoke free. Why would we make it up that they smoked? We have much better things to do with our time than claim a guest smoked for a measly $100.

Miss Piddle Puddle, your group did smoke in our room. Own up to it and move on! Don’t try and cheat the poor motel owner who is just trying to run their establishment the best they can and keep it up to the standards folks expect.

Reviewed June 19, 2010

We stayed in motel part (dbl room w/kitchenette) but were allowed to tour rooms in house. The motel rooms are small and beds need updating. Restaurant had good food with exception of bread with horrid topping. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Hotel also has small restaurant next door for more moderate prices (huge cinnamon rolls big as plate). Great easy to moderate hiking trails nearby. Giant Redwood and horses on premise.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

This guest enjoyed our small town charm and the pleasant surroundings. When the motel was built they figured that most visitors would spend the majority of their time enjoying the outdoors in the Rogue River National Forest and at Crater Lake National Park. The decided to not overbuild the property and cover up the park like grounds with extensive buildings. They kept the motel units efficient and thereby allow more of the beauty of nature to be maintained.
We were surprised that this guest didn’t like our Fresh Baked Bread! Most diners rave about how great it is and request more (which is gladly supplied). Apparently not every one is a fan of Garlic, even when it is a light topping on the fresh baked bread!
I am glad they enjoyed their meal and the food at our local café!

Reviewed June 10, 2010

Came here on the recommendation of my daughter. It is a quirky place, tucked away in a quint little town from which you can explore Crater lakes and the great waterfalls of the Rogue River area. The Hotel has real old world charm. It looks delightful. The rooms are all beautifully and individually finished with quilt throws and nice finishing touches. We stayed in the main hotel so cannot comment on the motel units. Ours was the Boothby Room. It was a little small with no where to put suit cases. The bed had an excellent mattress but then that had been put on a really old squeaky iron bed spread. Every time one of us turned over in the night, it woke the other up with the squeaking. Maybe you could change the base springs please or oil them!! We loved the whole ambience of the place. A delightful covered porch and stick furniture esp the swinging seat. Very helpful, and very polite staff. An excellent breakfast and a restaurant with a good choice of foods, well cooked and presented and a nice collection of wines. Would recommend it to anyone coming through this way.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

This guest wrote a lovely review but gave it an unusual title! There is no indication of what they are referring to so I am not sure what they thought was "pricey".
We have a lovely B&B that is priced on the low side compared to any other Southern Oregon B&B. When you consider our close proximity (just 28 miles) to Crater Lake National Park we are a good deal. Our Nationally Registered Historic Hotel has a tremendous amount of charm and authenticity.
Our Dinner House meals are a Prix Fixe menu where EVERYTHING is include for a single price. Dinner starts with a wild green salad, fresh baked bread, entrée of choice and dessert of the day (alamode if you like). Entrees run from $23 to $35 depending on your choice. Our Signature Prime Rib (we have been told it is the best in Southern Oregon!) as a Regular cut (approximately 14oz.) runs just $30 – for the entire meal. Most meals are under $25! All that is left is appetizers and a nice selection of one of our wonderful local Oregon Wines and Beers. Most think it is a great value!

Reviewed June 2, 2010

This was our third stay at the historic Prospect Hotel, located in a quiet hamlet in Oregon, close to the beautiful Rogue River, and about a 20-minute drive from Crater Lake. It is a great place to stay, away from the Crater Lake crowds, with a restaurant serving wonderful, home-made breakfasts and dinners, prepared by the owners, Fred & Karen Wickman. Fred and Karen are also a wealth of information about local hiking and other outdoor activities. We always stay in the historic hotel rooms, but there are also 14 motel rooms in back of the historic hotel. All of the historic rooms are exceptionally clean and cozy, with lots of personal touches. Special events, such as wine tastings, Thanksgiving, and other events are also a treat.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We got to the hotel and the people who owned it were not even there for check in time. The owner claimed to be out shopping and did not arrive for several hours after 3pm. The room smelled so bad it made me sick. We had to air out the room (which didnt get rid of the stench). The site claims that the motel rooms are modern, but I do not think anything was updated since it was built in the 1980's ( that includes all furniture). The beds were extremely uncomfortable and the room was only supplied with dinky little pillows with no extras. The toliet broke in the middle of the night. When we checked out the next day there was no one there once again. The owner was to lazy to come from her house to check us out and told us to leave the keys in the phone box. Out of the 10 hotels we stayed at during our two week vacation this was the absolute worse. I would never stay again and highly recomend that you find another place to stay while in the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank thegreatescape_77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prospect
19 mi away
#1 of 4 in Prospect
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 in Crater Lake National Park

Been to Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House? Share your experiences!