“Slightly old fashioned hotel but lovely setting and overall experience”

Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House
Ranked #1 of 1 Prospect B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed in the Francis Pearson room which was nice if a little old fashioned.

The setting of the hotel is very nice and we really enjoyed sitting out on the verandah late into the evening.

There are some good walks to waterfalls nearby and we used it as a base for Crater Lake.

Room Tip: Francis Pearson is quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank warringtonmcfc

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed in the motel and the room we had was very clean and spacious. My entire family was excited to have two separate rooms after 5 nights of sharing a hotel room. Dinner was nice and a unique experience. Overpriced (See Kevin J review) but good. The woman at check in was super friendly and helpful as well as the restaurant manager. They were both eager to help us plan our day trip to Crater Lake. And I would love to thank them personally. The only problem we had was that our smoke alarm started beeping at 3:30am. We called the front desk and were told to take out the battery. This of course does not stop a hard wired alarm from beeping. So we disconnected it and cautiously went back to sleep knowing we no longer had a working alarm in an older motel. Upon check out I informed the woman at the desk (a different person from check in) and she simply said "that is housekeeping". ???? No apology or sympathy, nothing. She simply took our key and that was it. I was so exhausted that I didn't bother saying more and we went on with our great trip to Crater Lake. I recommend this stop but just check your batteries.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, it's exactly what I was expecting. It's not the Ritz!!, but it is a cute little place tucked away in the woods. We just found a peaceful place to sit and relax in the shady areas near our room. I wanted to play horse shoes, but we ran out of time. The only complaint I have was the "Elk Meatballs" for dinner. They were $32 which is more expensive than their porterhouse. Therefore, I was expecting something more than a porterhouse. 5 meatballs showed up on a plate, and they tasted no different than the meatballs from IKEA (which i read recently are made with horse meat..lol). Anyway, they didn't taste bad, just wasn't worth the money and I wished I had gone with my gut and got the porterhouse. My wife did and I enjoyed finishing her steak.

The manager of the restaurant was very nice and helpful regarding the local attractions. We didn't have much time the next day for crater lake, so she brought us a map and recommended a route heading to, around, and out of the lake. With her advice, we managed to see the natural bridge over the Rogue, the visitors center views of the lake, and we hiked the trail to the water for a quick swim. I wish we had more time at the lake, but managed to see and do alot with the few hours we had.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Loved this place! We had planned a trip to Crater Lake, but found the whole park is not dog friendly, so we booked here. Visited the lake in the early afternoon for a few hours. The lake is beautiful although it has a desolate kinda feel. Frankly, a couple of hours of looking at the lake was enough. Back to the Prospect Hotel - their motel section is dog friendly, which was the main reason we chose the spot. Prospect is about 30 miles down the hill from Crater Lake, and at this elevation, it is surrounded by trees and there's an easy walk to some beautiful waterfalls. The hotel/motel is very well cared for, there's a huge grassy area which is great to let your dogs run. There's a bbq pit, a fire-pit and a couple of horseshoe pits. The location is quiet, and was just perfect for our weekend getaway. I highly recommend considering this spot as your Crater Lake hq!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Discovered this property online and would like to highly recommend for anyone looking to stay in a quiet B & B. Very helpful staff, excellent breakfast. Rooms are small, but quiet and nice to have your own private bathroom. Very convenient to visiting Crater Lake.
Will definitely recommend to friends and would love to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stopped for the night nice clean room , had a wonderful supper . The staff were amazing for the short time we were there , I plan on going back soon . I was very impressed, ask my wife that's hard to do :).

Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband, niece & I stayed in the motel for 2 nights. It was very clean with comfortable beds. We loved the quiet, and the pretty grounds. The staff, from the receptionist to housekeeping, were welcoming, smiley, and so accommodating! We were in the area to visit Crater Lake & planned lots of hiking, & the staff made us wonderful sack lunches to carry along upon our request. It was such a great & delicious convenience! We were not especially impressed with our meal in the dinner house, but the service was good.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Deedaree
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prospect
19 mi away
#1 of 4 in Prospect
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 in Crater Lake National Park

Been to Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House? Share your experiences!