“Prospect Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Prospect B&B and Inns
Trevose, Pennsylvania
“Prospect Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were on our way from California to Idaho, via Crater Lake Oregon. All the hotels were 50 miles or more out of our way. We found this hotel along our way. Nice clean accomodations. A little pricey. But they were very nice about our late check in time. We stay in the motel portion, so can't say much about the main building. Property looked well kept. Friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hiflyerbuz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Frankfurt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed in motel room #4 and although I was a little early I was still able to check in. The motel room was very basic but also very clean, there was nothing to complain about. Staff and owners were great and very helpful with tips and trips not just to but also around Crater Lake. The hotel itself is lovely decorated. I also enjoyed a very nice dinner (lemon dill roasted salmon) at the hotel restaurant. They also have a great wine list. It was a nice and quiet stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank sunsetd
loughborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We found the decor a little bit over the top. Everything seemed to clash, but nothing seemed very comfortable. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable either. You had to decide what you wanted for breakfast the evening before and what time you would be in the dining room. There was no tea and coffee in the rooms and we only found the cookies by accident. On a plus note the reception staff were helpful pointing out things to see on our way back up to crater lake.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dandjo
Milpitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stopped for dinner after spending the day at Crater Lake. Food was great. The owners came in and filled us in on the history of the hotel and other things to see and in the area. Very enjoyable experience. We plan on going back to stay in the hotel on another visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda M
Austin TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

The innkeepers at Prospect were so lovely and welcoming. Felt like I was in their home. Historic and charming. The wrap around porch was a definite draw for everyone -- from reading, just sitting to iPads. The food in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner was excellent. Sometimes dinner was a little slow and not a huge crowd, so not sure what was going on, but I guess I just needed to slow down a bit myself. The only negatives to this inn were the beds and secondly the walls. The walls were very thin and you could definitely hear murmurings of conversations, so quiet was imperative. The biggest negative for me were the beds. I think they had coils in the box springs. Very uncomfortable and need to be updated. This review was hard, because the environs were fabulous, food great and hospitality excellent. I'm just very picky about my sleep!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kayakutie
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading reviews here on TA. I knew what I was getting when I booked it. When we arrived after a long day of sightseeing we were very tired and just ready to lay down and rest before dinner. We were warmly greeted by the desk clerk and quickly checked in. We were the only ones there and the clerk suggested we take a different room as the one I chose had a shared bathroom. After she made her suggestion and we accepted we walked up to check it out. One drawback was the lack of TV's in the room. I really didn't think about that when I booked. My husband really wanted to be able to lay down and watch TV, as did I by that point. They were kind enough to let us switch to the motel behind the main building but keep our breakfast from the inn.

The motel, while newer than the inn, is still rather dated. The bed was rather hard but the room was clean and did the trick for one night. I wouldn't want to base my vacation out of that location but it was a clean place to spend the night and recharge for the next day.

I had originally booked dinner for 6:30 pm not being sure what time we would arrive. When we asked to change our dinner time to 5:30 the agreed and we were off to our room to get settled and got cleaned up.

When we arrived for dinner we were escorted to our seats. It was a bit cold in the dining area so I went and got my sweater. Service was prompt and everything we wanted was available. I had the rib eye and my husband had the prime rib. Every main course included a salad, dessert and appetizer. Everything was prepared as requested. By dessert I was to full to eat anymore but when they said the portion was pretty small I decided to try. We both opted for the brownie sundaes.

Note, we were the only people in the place for dinner. The cook was also the waitress. If there were more than a couple people in there, it might have been very slow as far as service goes.

Breakfast was included with our room and we proceeded to the dining room at our reserved time. Breakfast consisted of a bowl of fruit, banana nut pancakes and a soft boiled egg with juice and coffee. Pancakes were amazing. I didn't eat the egg as I'm not a fan of eggs. Service was prompt and courteous. She indicated that she was also our cook and server. Again, not an issue since we were in the dining room alone until just before we left but I can imagine if that place was full it would have been a slow process for all.

Over all it was ok. The staff makes the place. Everyone was friendly and eager to help. The history behind the place was interesting and it's nice to see that it was restored. I think the motel portion is a bit expensive for what you get but there's not much competition in the area. Be sure to read and understand about the property before you book so you are not surprised/disappointed.

Room Tip: Educate yourself before you book especially if you've never stayed in a B&B.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsCombs
Hutchinson, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed in room #4 of the motel (one that has been recommended by others). The room was clean and fairly spacious...a nice, basic room. We had dinner in the dining room, which we really enjoyed...the food was delicious and they have a nice wine list. Everything was just fine until we went to bed. I had read that the beds are "firm", which was a positive to me, as I have a bad back and usually think the firmer, the better. This bed was not firm, it was hard! It was like sleeping on concrete, except you could feel the metal springs...terribly uncomfortable. When the desk clerk asked me about our stay, I mentioned that the bed was way too firm and she laughed!
The staff was friendly...we did not meet the owners. I would like to give a higher rating, but the awful bed makes that impossible. Note--breakfast is not included with the motel rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tripplanr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prospect
Edgewater Inn
#1 of 3 in Shady Cove
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Crescent Lake

Been to Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House? Share your experiences!