“Worst service EVER”

Beckie's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Prospect
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This was one of the most memorable occasion of our trip only because it was the worst experience we had in our 8 day getaway. To begin, it's the only restaurant for miles around so if you are staying in Union Creek you are pretty much trapped. For this reason, we gave Beckie's two opportunities. The first day we were seated immediately but after waiting for 30 minutes without so much as a greeting we left. On the way out the door we mentioned that we might be back when they were less busy (although our waitress only had 4 tables) we were informed that we were lucky that we were sat so quickly and would not have that opportunity if we returned.
When we returned the next day we waited with hordes of hungry travelers out in the heat while tables sat empty and uncleaned inside. Most people that were waiting ended up walking across the street to a Conestoga wagon that was serving barbecue (I HIGHLY recommend the brisket!!). When we were finally seated we had the same slow service. With the exception of the huckleberry pie, the food was less than average.
My recommendation is if you are hungry and want Beckie's pie you should order a pie to go, walk across the street and eat barbecue, go on a hike and when you get back your pie MIGHT be ready. The pie is good but not worth $6 a slice or $42 per pie and the coffee is definitely not worth $2 for 3 ounces (I'm not exaggerating.) We heard other travelers try to give helpful feedback to their waitress who was uninterested and simply said, "well, that's just the way we do things here."

1  Thank TxRedbird

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stoped at Beckie's on the way back from Pendleton and Crater Lake. My friend says she always stops here and the pies are out of the world. We arrived a little before 6 which was a good thing because the restaurant got very full and there was a wait. There are only two waitresses working, so with the rush they got overloaded. Took our order promptly but never checked back with us. I ordered a salad with chicken and my friend a hamburger. Both were very good. But I had to flag down the busboy for more salad dressing. Then we ordered the pies -- several selections. I got the banana pie. Very good but a bit too much meringue on top for my taste. But the filling and crust were excellent. A very cute location and well worth the stop when in the area.

1  Thank kes1639
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Ate there most days while exploring Crater Lake and area. Breakfasts are huge, order one pancake they are the size of a platter. Eggs come with about a pound of shoestring hash browns, toast, and the sausage patty must weigh 6 ounces, the ham steak also huge and tasty. We had so much left over we reheated it for evening dinner. Homemade pies are a specialty, the huckleberry were a little too tart but the other pies were wonderful. We ordered sandwiches to go to take with us in the park, as the concession prices are outrageous. They have a variety of breads including multigrain and sourdough. They come with homemade chips seasoned with paprika, very tasty. I brought my own English Breakfast tea bags and they brought me the set up, small carafe of hot water, mug and cream at no charge which was very nice of them. Service friendly, efficient and fast.
Other than Beckie's the closest other place was in Prospect about 15 miles south so considering their monopoly they could really take advantage of that but they don't.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

Whether heading to or coming from Crater Lake, down 62, be sure to stop at Beckie's, across from Union Creek lodging. This little wayside cafe is a throwback to another era -- offering terrific home-cooked food at reasonable prices in a clean, quaint atmosphere, complete with plaid valances, wooden tables, chairs, and booths, and lodge-like paned windows. (If you don't see available parking in the front, check around back on the south side.)

During our stop, diners consisted of local hunters and fishermen/women, cyclists, hikers, and plenty of tourists young and old. Our wait on a weekday at lunch was maybe 10 minutes. Service was provided with a smile. While the place was bustling, no one seemed rushed.

The grilled cheese was, well, lovingly cheesy, on extra-buttery grilled bread. Fries were thin and crisp, not greasy. Chicken "fingers" were thick and wide. Neighboring diners' burgers were amazingly large. Couldn't help but notice that everyone finished their plates.

The pies - oh, the pies! - are a must. Huckleberry, strawberry, and peach are available in season. A plethora of others are available at all times. The chocolate pie slice was humonogo-jumbo and had a good, stand-alone consistency, without the fake, overly sweetness of store-bought pie. And the pecan pie... I wasn't a fan before of anyone's pecan concoction, but Beckie's made a believer out of me. Sweet, soft, and gooey, made extra delish with vanilla ice cream on top.

This rates a 5 for cleanliness, charm, and plain ol' good mom 'n' pop food. Stop for a meal or just pie and coffee. You'll be warmly welcomed. Check out the photos on the walls of this little cafe "back in the day," pick up a jar of huckleberry jam, and pretend the world's 50 years younger.

1  Thank goseedo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

They make a very tasty burger here.Get there early for a full choice of pie, they will run out of some of them. Burgers were large and very tasty. Many other menu items too. Breakfast that I had was the bacon, egg, pancakes. Huge and very filling. Rustic and historic log cabin building with photos on the walls, fun to see how little they have changed. Great place to eat for a good price.