“Quaint and comfortable hotel”
Review of Hotel Prairie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prairie City
Hotel Prairie
Ranked #1 of 3 Prairie City B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I ended up having to get a room in Prairie City because the hotels in John Day didn't have any availability. I was a bit skeptical, but was very pleasantly surprised! The room had very high ceilings and a great fan - they had installed an air conditioner in the window because they were having a bit of trouble with their system. I appreciated it because it was quite warm. It cooled the room off nicely and I only needed the ceiling fan at night. Traffic outside is audible, but it is a pretty quiet town. I found the community kitchen a nice touch and was able to put my lunch supplies in the fridge, which was a great help. The bed was comfy and the decor simple, but classy. I wish I would have had more time to hang out in the lobby or out on the back porch. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor - not sure what the upstairs rooms are like!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I ended up staying here unexpectedly while traveling through Oregon recently, and I am so glad I found this place. WOW, what a great place.

Super friendly and helpful staff, very clean and well maintained. The whole place has been recently renovated, but has kept the historic charm. My room had a good sized bathroom, was small but good sized and I had a great night's sleep.

There is coffee set up in kitchen for the morning, as well as a honor snack bar. Really nice, and peaceful back patio/garden for guests as well. The lobby has two seating areas set up for guests to enjoy as well.

I would love, love, love to stay here again for more than one night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Donna M, Owner at Hotel Prairie, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic praise! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and would love to welcome you back. Then you can enjoy our breakfast room, meeting, and wine/beer bar areas that are nearing renovation completion!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a very nice restored historic hotel. The lobby is great and the rooms have good air conditioning and heat. This is an historic hotel so it does't have the sound-proofing of modern ones, but that pales in comparison to the atmosphere, value, cleanliness, and friendly staff of the Hotel.They had no problem with me taking my bicycle through the lobby and into my room. That counts for a lot! This is a great place, you need to go there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Donna M, Owner at Hotel Prairie, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

As our sign out front says, "Two Wheels Spoken Here"!! We try to anticipate our cyclists' needs and are pleased you enjoyed our facilities. We hope to see you again. Enjoy your summer!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We spent two nights in this restored old hotel. If you like Bed & Breakfasts, you'll probably like this place (except you don't get a breakfast). At a B & B you want ambiance, special decor, a unique setting. There may not be all the amenities of a chain hotel, like air conditioning. I can recommend this place for its decor, history and uniqueness, it's location in scenic rural Oregon.

The Prairie is tastefully decorated with antiques, old photographs, leather furniture. The guest kitchen has microwave, fridge, table and chairs, and a coffee maker filled to brew in the morning. A gathering room downstairs holds a gas stove for winter nights. The town is small, but the few businesses near the hotel looked inviting and well stocked. Breakfast can be had at Chuck's Diner, and we had a lovely lunch there. The surrounding mountains and countryside are a scenic delight.

Now the problems. Unfortunately, if you want breakfast on Monday, Chuck's is closed, and just about every business on the street is closed, as well. Some won't be open till Wednesday.

If you book a room upstairs, be prepared to climb 28 steps. No lift. Our Queen beds were comfortable but very high. We had no table, no chair, only small bedside tables. An antique dresser was topped with the TV, so little space for our things. The drawers didn't feel smooth enough to risk putting clothing in. The dresser drawers in the bathroom were not clean. No hangers and no closet, only some wall hooks. Our stuff ended up jumbled on the carpet.

We were surprised to find our beds unmade when we came back the first day. This policy was not mentioned when we checked in.

Finally, the place is noisy, not because there is noise on the street, but because of its construction. All the doors are solid fire doors, designed to close by themselves with a resounding thump. You hear anyone going in or out, no matter how quiet they try to be. The hinges on our door also squealed. And the walls between rooms are thin. The first night, I could hear the cadences of a normal conversation between two women going on in the room next to ours and was unable to sleep for hours. The second night we turned on the bathroom fan for some white noise, and had no other guests on our floor.

I really wanted to recommend this place, but I wouldn't want to be here without very good ear plugs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank justducky13
Donna M, Owner at Hotel Prairie, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for your review; we are happy that you enjoyed our ambiance, guest kitchen, and lobby space. As you say, construction in old buildings (1910 in our case) is not noise-proof. We are sorry you did not sleep well your first night. We take guest concerns seriously and are looking into resolving issues you mentioned. You may have noticed remodel work next door? You will be happy to know that upon completion, we will be serving breakfast and dinner when others are closed. We hope you visit again.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We won the Grantski Auction package that included a night at the Hotel Prairie, breakfast or lunch at a nearby diner, and a certificate to spend across the street at the antique/jewelry store. The night we spent at the Hotel Prairie was so relaxing and enjoyable. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The people are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GaryZ5
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I've stayed at the Hotel Prairie a number of times over the past 2 years. It is always clean and welcoming. The hotel has a lot of charm and character. Rooms and beds are very comfortable. Staff are terrific and very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a small kitchen with a fridge and microwave which is a great asset for frequent travelers. The hotel offers a Massage service- the massage therapist is phenomenal! I highly recommend this as a place to stay. Prairie City and nearby John Day, Oregon are very charming and a relaxing get away off the beaten path.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Meredith N
Reviewed October 9, 2012

A stay at the Hotel Prairie is like stepping back in time to the rural old west, but with the comforts of a modern hotel. This beautifully restored historic hotel has very comfy beds, nicely appointed and simple decor, and a lovely lobby/living room with leather counches that are perfect for sharing some wine with friends after a long day of driving or sightseeing in the area. I drove 6 hours from Portland on scenic winding roads through grasslands, canyons and high desert sagebrush to Prairie City, located between the Strawberry Mountains and several roadless areas just east of John Day. There is amazing wildlife viewing, birding and fishing within an hour of Prairie City in the Malheur National Forest. I enjoyed the friendly staff at the hotel, and the owners, Greg and Donna, created many special touches that truly made guests feel at home and showcased the history of the town and the region. It is worth the long drive to get there!.

Room Tip: Some rooms have private baths and some have shared baths
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Krystyna W

Been to Hotel Prairie? Share your experiences!