“Great Hotel for Bicyclists”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Prairie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prairie City
Hotel Prairie
Ranked #1 of 3 Prairie City B&B and Inns
Eugene, Oregon
“Great Hotel for Bicyclists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a very nice restored historic hotel. The lobby is great and the rooms have good air conditioning and heat. This is an historic hotel so it does't have the sound-proofing of modern ones, but that pales in comparison to the atmosphere, value, cleanliness, and friendly staff of the Hotel.They had no problem with me taking my bicycle through the lobby and into my room. That counts for a lot! This is a great place, you need to go there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Donna M, Owner at Hotel Prairie, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
As our sign out front says, "Two Wheels Spoken Here"!! We try to anticipate our cyclists' needs and are pleased you enjoyed our facilities. We hope to see you again. Enjoy your summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We spent two nights in this restored old hotel. If you like Bed & Breakfasts, you'll probably like this place (except you don't get a breakfast). At a B & B you want ambiance, special decor, a unique setting. There may not be all the amenities of a chain hotel, like air conditioning. I can recommend this place for its decor, history and uniqueness, it's location in scenic rural Oregon.

The Prairie is tastefully decorated with antiques, old photographs, leather furniture. The guest kitchen has microwave, fridge, table and chairs, and a coffee maker filled to brew in the morning. A gathering room downstairs holds a gas stove for winter nights. The town is small, but the few businesses near the hotel looked inviting and well stocked. Breakfast can be had at Chuck's Diner, and we had a lovely lunch there. The surrounding mountains and countryside are a scenic delight.

Now the problems. Unfortunately, if you want breakfast on Monday, Chuck's is closed, and just about every business on the street is closed, as well. Some won't be open till Wednesday.

If you book a room upstairs, be prepared to climb 28 steps. No lift. Our Queen beds were comfortable but very high. We had no table, no chair, only small bedside tables. An antique dresser was topped with the TV, so little space for our things. The drawers didn't feel smooth enough to risk putting clothing in. The dresser drawers in the bathroom were not clean. No hangers and no closet, only some wall hooks. Our stuff ended up jumbled on the carpet.

We were surprised to find our beds unmade when we came back the first day. This policy was not mentioned when we checked in.

Finally, the place is noisy, not because there is noise on the street, but because of its construction. All the doors are solid fire doors, designed to close by themselves with a resounding thump. You hear anyone going in or out, no matter how quiet they try to be. The hinges on our door also squealed. And the walls between rooms are thin. The first night, I could hear the cadences of a normal conversation between two women going on in the room next to ours and was unable to sleep for hours. The second night we turned on the bathroom fan for some white noise, and had no other guests on our floor.

I really wanted to recommend this place, but I wouldn't want to be here without very good ear plugs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank justducky13
Donna M, Owner at Hotel Prairie, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your review; we are happy that you enjoyed our ambiance, guest kitchen, and lobby space. As you say, construction in old buildings (1910 in our case) is not noise-proof. We are sorry you did not sleep well your first night. We take guest concerns seriously and are looking into resolving issues you mentioned. You may have noticed remodel work next door? You will be happy to know that upon completion, we will be serving breakfast and dinner when others are closed. We hope you visit again.
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The night of May 7th, 2013 (the eve before my birthday and our wedding anniversary), we took a quick overnight getaway to Prairie City, Oregon. We stayed at the Hotel Prairie which was built in 1905, and reopened/refurbished in 2008.

Early May is still off-season for them, but nearing their opening of tourist season about Memorial Day. So there was my husband and I on the second floor, and one other guest on the main floor.

We called ahead to see if they had room and they did (they have 9 rooms in operation at this time). The one we stayed in is where the top left corner room above the Prairie City sign on the building...can you see it? They said for us to just "call" when we got to town.

We hadn't realized that during off-season, the front desk attendant is "on-call" and not actually present and working in the hotel. There is a phone outside the hotel, so we called the number and she said "I'll be right down". We thought she was upstairs or something. Nope...a few minutes later, she pulled up. She checked us in, showed us the downstairs common kitchen area (for morning coffee), asked if we wanted extra pillows (which I did), and told us where our room was. Then she left again. So the hotel was literally ours with the exception of the other guest. The lobby doors were locked from the outside, and we had our keys.

So if you are high maintenance, don't go here during "off season". It felt a tiny bit odd to be rattling around an ancient hotel on your own with no staff present, but they locked up all the important bits, and we spent some time wandering the halls looking at the historic photos that are all over. It was SOOOO quiet, that we felt the need to whisper to maintain it. It was really quite nice. We're not high maintenance. Of course, the same number that we called to get in, is the number to call if you have any needs or concerns, so it's not like you're truly cut to drift.

Our room was small. I believe we paid about $96 for the night. I would estimate the room to be about 10x13. It contained a queen bed, two night stands with lamps, a small chair, and the suitcase rack. The bathroom was quite large and had a tub shower (some rooms only have a shower). There was a single long window, a large ceiling fan and a temp control on the wall. Given that it was a very warm, humid day with lightening and thunder storms, we opened the window and watched the sky.

Be sure to ask about closing times for local eateries and shops. Tiny towns, especially during off peak times, "roll up the sidewalks early". The grocery store closed at 7. I'm not sure how late the couple of open eateries stayed open. The Oxbow next door wasn't open. We went to eat at Maria's, the Mexican Restaurant (I'll review that later).

The gal who checked us in said they get rave reviews about the comfort of their beds. While I can't say I was kept awake all night, I can't rave about our bed. We were in room 5, upstairs. I'm sure that when brand spanking new, the beds were awesome. But ours had a major "body impression" in the middle that we kept rolling into. If you could sleep near the edge of your own side, it was still both pillow-top soft, and firm at the same time. But we gravitate towards snuggling and that left us in a bit of a hole. That's honestly the same issue we've had with our own bed, so beds are just a chore in general these days. They don't make them to last and they don't make them to not get body impressions. That's not really the hotel's fault.

The place is clean, and warm and cozy and the paint job is really nice and everything is kept up great. We were comfy and we ADORED the quiet. It almost seemed odd when the occasional car would pass. We could have done without the neighboring gas station beginning renovation construction noise before 7 a.m., but most ordinances allow such work to begin by 7 so what are ya gonna do? They have to do it sometime, I guess.

Check out time was 11, so I took a leisurely bath (why don't they make bath tubs that fit tall people?) and we walked to breakfast at Chuck's Little Diner (I'll review that later as well). We loaded up after breakfast, and just walked around town taking photos.

As an aside, for those of you who read my blog, you know I'm pretty sensitive to spirit activity. I was a little concerned that this might be loaded with spirits, given its age. HOWEVER, of the photos we took indoors, we only saw a single orb in the photos, AND, I felt completely at peace. I had a migraine when we arrived, and after going to bed, I was aware several times during the night of a female spirit who came to "cover me". Not literally, of course, but the impression was that she was checking in on me, "mothering" me, and wanted to be sure I was comfortable. My impression was, she may have been one of the original owners, of which there are several photos of her in the hotel, and a painting she did in the office.

Enjoy the photos (which I'm not sure why they are uploading in a different and jumbled order from how they are arranged on my computer...sorry about that...they aren't as orderly as I would like).

Bottom line....I would stay here again, and although it seemed unconventional not to have someone on duty, I may actually like it.

Room Tip: Only reserve an upstairs room if you are a good climber. It is one heck of a staircase, and there i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
John Day, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We won the Grantski Auction package that included a night at the Hotel Prairie, breakfast or lunch at a nearby diner, and a certificate to spend across the street at the antique/jewelry store. The night we spent at the Hotel Prairie was so relaxing and enjoyable. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The people are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GaryZ5
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I've stayed at the Hotel Prairie a number of times over the past 2 years. It is always clean and welcoming. The hotel has a lot of charm and character. Rooms and beds are very comfortable. Staff are terrific and very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a small kitchen with a fridge and microwave which is a great asset for frequent travelers. The hotel offers a Massage service- the massage therapist is phenomenal! I highly recommend this as a place to stay. Prairie City and nearby John Day, Oregon are very charming and a relaxing get away off the beaten path.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Meredith N
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

A stay at the Hotel Prairie is like stepping back in time to the rural old west, but with the comforts of a modern hotel. This beautifully restored historic hotel has very comfy beds, nicely appointed and simple decor, and a lovely lobby/living room with leather counches that are perfect for sharing some wine with friends after a long day of driving or sightseeing in the area. I drove 6 hours from Portland on scenic winding roads through grasslands, canyons and high desert sagebrush to Prairie City, located between the Strawberry Mountains and several roadless areas just east of John Day. There is amazing wildlife viewing, birding and fishing within an hour of Prairie City in the Malheur National Forest. I enjoyed the friendly staff at the hotel, and the owners, Greg and Donna, created many special touches that truly made guests feel at home and showcased the history of the town and the region. It is worth the long drive to get there!.

Room Tip: Some rooms have private baths and some have shared baths
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Krystyna W
Coos Bay, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We visited Prairie City to do some genealogy and visit the John Day Fossil Beds.
We found the Hotel to be relaxing and comfortable, a generously roomy room, all with a sense of history. Historical pictures line the walls, and local craft products are to be found in the welcoming lobby. My husband and I remarked several times how happy we were to be returning to the Hotel Prairie each evening. So uplifting compared to staying in a chain motel. We stayed three nights in the suite with kitchen.

Room Tip: We liked the suite with kitchen
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OregonTopaz

Been to Hotel Prairie? Share your experiences!