“Favorite Coffee Shop!”

Simple Local Coffee
Ranked #87 of 263 Coffee & Tea in Portland
Reviewed August 24, 2016

Might be my very favorite coffee shop bar none. Daughter and I arrived fairly early on a Monday morning and the line was fairly long. Worth the wait!

I had an amazing specialty coffee drink made with home made syrup. We ordered three pastries to share for just the two of us. All three were great! The marionberry muffin was a standout!

As we were leaving (and the line had died down) we spoke with the woman manning the counter and making all the drinks. She and her husband are the owners. She takes the morning shift because he gets up in the middle of the night and makes all the pastries fresh for day. He is a talented baker!

If I lived in Portland it would be hard to keep me away from here!

Date of visit: July 2016

Reviewed March 10, 2016

So I'm walking with my wife around the Pearl district, and have a hankering for a coffee and to use the restroom. I walk in, and there is no one behind the counter. I go upstairs looking for the restroom and I'm enthusiastically confronted (don't know how else to put it) by a young woman who asks if she can help. I told her I was looking for the restroom, and she points through the door to the corridor and says "The Customer Restroom is through there" and sends me on my way. I told her "I'll order a coffee on my way out" and went to the restroom.

I go through the door, down the corridor and am confronted by a combination lock door knob. Now she HAD to have known a code is required, so I go downstairs and said "Can I have the code to the restroom" and she snarkily responds "What can I get you" and I said " The restroom code" and she repeats her self.

I look her in the eye, tell her I am a man of my word, but I am offended by her attitude and left. She tells me their restrooms are for paying customers only, public restrooms are a block down the road at the river rock".

Wow. Who trained you in customer service? I know there are tons of street people in Portland, and Meth addiction is rampant. But I'm wearing a patagonia jacket and designer jeans, for pity sakes… who do you take me for?

Word to the owner: find better employees and train them that your customers actually have value.

Word to travelers: Avoid this place until they change their ways.

Postlogue: We met a TON of really nice, friendly and helpful people on our trip to Portland. This was an off-the-charts bad experience, and perhaps this woman is just out of sorts. But there is no reason to treat anyone this way, and I would NEVER go back to a place that was so offensive to ANY of their customers, not just me.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed February 19, 2016

Simple Local's brewed coffee and espresso-based drinks are excellent, and nicely showcase local roaster Sterling's fine coffee. Service is warm and friendly, and the attractive room has tables as well as counter seats, which make it a great place to meet friends or business acquaintances. Tasty pastries, baked in-house, are available and pair very well with the shop's coffees.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed January 11, 2016

This little coffee house has a great funky/bluesy vibe with some of the best pastries that you will find in Portland.

Date of visit: January 2016

Been to Simple Local Coffee? Share your experiences!