“A repeated customer.”

Ranked #106 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Seaside, Oregon, United States
“A repeated customer.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have always stayed at the RoadWay Inn, actually I had been a regular customer for over 13 years. While employed in Seaside I would drive into Portland as soon as I was finished working on my Friday to spend quality time with my Oh so precious children who attended school in Gresham, then later moving on to college.I always felt very welcome there , it was like a second home to me , and it was nice being on a first name basis . I became a grandmother on Aug. 24,2012.Yeah !!! I drove to Portland the following day and when I entered the lobby it just didn't feel the same. I waited ,and waited , and waited , observing that one of the two employees kept slowly going around to the side to eat .Every person that came in after me recieved customer service , I did not. Then I was told that they had only one room left, that's it & they really could care less. I couldn't believe the price ,Ive never paid that there, I mean it's not top of the line. As the hungry employee walked away he said will fix you up and nodded to the other employee saying ( take good care of her )The amount was still over 100.00 . No room ,no smiles & poor customer service . The 2 young men that night had a better than thou attitude. 2 weeks before was a bad experience as well .I won't stay there again. Sad, but I found a place where the staff enjoys people & check-out is at noon .Everything happens for a reason.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 9019Nana
GMor179, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I am very sorry to read this review. We value our customers and especially our repeat customers. I am not positive why our employees would act the way they did that evening and can ensure you this review will be a big discussion at our next staff meeting. That is unacceptable behavior and the two men who were on shift that evening have both been spoken with and reminded the importance of great customer service. I hope you will give us another shot in the future so you can see the issues have been rectified.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife, daughter & myself stayed here on Sept. 7-8 while visiting the Portland area. We paid $45 per night which was a great bargain for the room & stay he had. The room itself was a first floor room and very clean and featured a flat screen TV and internet. There was no fridge, micro or iron & board, but for the price, you had to sacrifice something.

The beds were very comfortable and the air conditioner worked very well. The bathroom was clean and adequate. We got a good night sleep each night. The small continental breakfast was in the office and was very limited to coffee, juice, toast, bagels, muffins and fruit. There was really no place to sit because it was in the office and you are better served to take your food & drink back to your room. They do offer a hot breakfast for $5 per person if you want that. They also have an outdoor pool and fitness room, although we didn't use them.

The staff was friendly and helpful and offered to give us directions or food recommendations for the many eateries in this area of Portland...and trust me their are lots of places to eat in Portland. The only negative about our stay was that of the two ice machines, one was broke and the other was always empty. The hotel is in a great location if you want to visit downtown, the Mt. Hood/Columbia Gorge Area or the Portland Intl. Airport.

We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again or recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your Great Stay, we hope you will visit us in the future.
Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently stayed here with my Grandpa during a trip to the Pacific Northwest. We stayed here on our first night (when we flew into Portland) and our last night (before we flew out the next day).

Room Quality:
Our first room was on the first floor. It had been remodeled and was an absolute steal for the price. The room had a new flat screen TV, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was decorated quite nicely. The room had been cleaned well and I looked forward to returning to this hotel a few days letter.

However, the second stay wasn't quite as enjoyable. The room hadn't yet been remodeled, although it was definitely in dire need of some TLC. The flooring, counter tops, etc. all showed lots of wear and the water temperature was backward at the sink (hot was cold, cold was hot). The shower spigot literally hit me mid-chest. I am 6'2" and I felt like an NBA Center trying to take a shower in there.

I will say that the second room did have a new flat screen TV and the room was clean enough. For the price, the room wasn't bad, but they definitely need to finish the remodel of the hotel.

Airport Shuttle: I was very impressed with the airport shuttle. The shuttle was prompt and the drivers were courteous.

There was no "continental breakfast," but the hotel did provide free juice, bagels, muffins, coffee, etc. This was an unexpected surprise that saved me from buying 2 mornings worth of breakfasts.

Overall, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel if you are looking for a cheap hotel in the Portland area. Portland can be a bit pricey when it comes to lodging, and if you aren't spending a lot of time in your room, this place will do the trick.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the remodeled rooms!
1 Thank Inquisitive_Wayfarer
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel two seperate times. We are so pleased to see you had an overall good experience. We do have some rooms that have been completely remodeled and some that still need to be however like you said all of our rooms are very clean and comfortable. We hope you will choose us again next time you visit Portland.
Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here previously but was thoroughly surprised with the property's renovation, to include adjoining Quality Inn. Understand there was a change in the properties ownership, and pleased to witness the makeover of these adjoining properties. Would definitely stay here again! My only complaint was that the scheduled airport shuttle did not run as noted every half an hour to the airport.

Room Tip: Consider booking at their adjoining Quality Inn property, if you enjoy a hearty breakfast, otherwise...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We are so glad to see you enjoyed our newly renovated hotels. Our ownership takes great pride in our hotels and we are so glad to see the guest are noticing that. We hope you will choose the Rodeway Inn again.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Need a place to stay for one night that had a shuttle. The Rodeway inn was great, speedy check in, great shuttle driver, and a clean room. Bed had very new mattresses and TV was an LG Flat Screen. I heard no noises from other rooms or outside traffic noise. Pool was nice and the right temperature for a morning swim. Also, the Light Rail system (MAX station) is located right beside the hotel and was extremely convenient for me to travel to Portland in morning. Breakfast in the morning was all i needed some toast and yogurt. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ann0077
We are so happy to see you were so impressed. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and hope you will come see us again in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were surprised by how nice the Rodeway Inn was, considering it is a lower priced motel in the Choice Hotel chain. We did not hear any noise from outside even though the doors open to the outside, and since we were close to the airport, we were surprised. The rooms are basic cinder block, which means quiet, but the managers have attractively painted the rooms with a paint texture that disguises the blocks. (We're not sure how, but some parts of the wall were left unpainted.) The sink is your basic laminate with plenty of space to put your toiletries, and there is no hair dryer in the room. The shower area is decent sized and clean. What was the most pleasant surprise was the quality of the bed. We had a king bed with a pillow top mattress. I slept wonderfully. In the morning we walked over to the office for the continental breakfast, which was pretty meager. We stayed here on the first and last nights of our vacation. When we checked in the first time, no one told us if we paid $5/person, we could walk down the hall to the breakfast room the Quality Inn used (the Quality Inn and Rodeway are side-by-side, sharing the same office) where a much better hot breakfast was served. We would have liked that. On our last night stay, the clerk told us about the breakfast, but because we had to catch such an early flight, we couldn't partake of the option.
The hotel is close to the light rail as the light rail passes behind the building, making it an easy travel to and from the airport. We took the light rail once, and had the hotel get us to the airport once. The van driver was friendly and loaded our luggage for us.
Overall, a clean and comfy place to stay. We will stay here again when we fly into Portland.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Rodeway Inn for two seperate stays. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed both stays. I apologize for no one sharing the breakfast upgrade with you on your first trip and will utilize your review as a training tool for our front desk staff. We hope to see you again in the future.
Savannah, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Airport Rodeway on the tail-end of a vacation. We booked here because it was rated as such a good deal by Tripadvisor. We were really pleasantly surprised by the room! We had a king bed room, and the bed was really comfortable. The room was extremely clean, but the carpets had just been shampooed so it was a little damp. Initially there was a "wet swimming suit" kind of smell, but that went away as the carpet dried. The towels were clean and fluffy and the (big!) flat screen tv worked nicely. The room was a great size too. The bathroom had some signs of wear and use, but again it was very clean. Our flight home was at 6 am the next morning so we wanted a place with an airport shuttle. My husband returned the rental car the night before, and called for the shuttle which promptly came and picked him up. We signed up for the 4:30 am shuttle the next morning along with 2 other couples, one of whom didn't show up. Instead of just leaving when they weren't there the driver checked on them and found they had switched their shuttle time, which I thought was courteous and professional (especially at 4:30 am!). The trip took about 10 minutes. The layout is kind of weird with the Quality Inn right next door, and you check in at the same place. And in fact we weren't really sure if we were actually staying in a Rodeway room or a Quality Inn room, but either way, the room was great. We paid about $45 for the night with a State Farm discount. Well worth it!! We'd definetely stay here again if we needed a place coming in or going out of Portland. In fact it was cleaner, larger and better appointed than some of the rooms that we paid twice as much for while on vacation!

• Stayed July 2012
We are so pleased to see you were pleasantly surprised. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review I will be very pleased to share it with my staff. We hope to see you again in the future.