“Decent value”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #69 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the Jupiter Hotel for four nights. It was my husband's second time staying and had warned me to make sure we requested a "chill side" room. These rooms are away from the bar patio which was pretty quiet. The room itself I was suprised at how small it was, but the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The customer service at the front desk was also good. Note that there is $9 a night parking fee... almost the entire time were able to park in the secure garage which I appreciated, though one night we were stuck in the unsecure dark gravel lot which made me a little nervous. No problems though. Also, a good central location for wondering around Portland. I would still probably search for an airbnb place to stay first, but this would be my lower priced hotel go-to.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear woodgrainlove,

Thank you to yourself and your husband for the continued business and support of the Jupiter Hotel. It truly is the best feedback for us to hear that guests come back time and time again. I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us including our service and parking amenities. Please contact myself directly next time you are planning a trip to Portland as I would love to personally thank you and see to the details of your next reservation.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I recently stayed in the Jupiter from the 28th to the 30th of December 2012 . I would say if you want to party and not sleep this is your option, the hotel has a cool different design but it is really noisy. At first I thought it was the noise from the lounge, but to my surprise the noise came from the room below. The shower goes from hot to cold every 40 seconds. The staff is friendly, but that's it. I have always looked for cool trendy hotels, but this was extremely noisy and I couldn't rest as I wished.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Isauro23
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Isauro23,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We understand that we have an atmosphere that while trendy, is not for everyone. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to sleep during your stay and that noise from other rooms was the cause of the disturbance. We try to manage an individual experience for all our guests and sometimes the experiences sought by one guest overlap another guest's experience in a less than agreeable way. We are always here 24/7 to make sure that times like these are mitigated for your continued pleasure and we certainly welcome guests to speak up about issues so that we have the opportunity to rectify the situation. I am not sure if you contacted us regarding the noise, however I will say that you would find more tranquility with a stay on our "Chill side", where rooms are away from the lounge. Please contact me directly if you are in Portland again, as I would love to personally see to the details of a stay that I am confident would give you a better experience.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This review is written by somebody who travels fairly regularly and stays in everything from boutique to luxury hotels.

We checked in to the Jupiter hotel in the afternoon and immediately realized why friends recommended the hotel; the staff was helpful and welcoming.

When we got back to our suite in the evening we checked the room for signs of bed bugs as we always do. We found BED BUG skin shells on the mattress. We immediately called the manager who swiftly walked into the room and wiped the bugs shells away. He said it was unlikely they were bed bugs, in other words we were wrong, without explaining what they were or why they were on the mattress. He even witnessed them on the mattress. He gave us a quick ultimatum to either change rooms or check out without a sincere apology. When I visited the front desk 15 minutes later he had already left without checking what we were going to do. Because it was late we decided to take a look at another room. We were then put in a smaller room with a bed that was almost on the floor, and had hairs on the sheets. When we checked this mattress it was an old blue thin mattress that would have been found as the goodwill, it was gross. We told the front desk we expected to be put in a room as large and as nice as the other, and they moved up to another room after the request. Ultimately, we were so put off from the bed bug shells that we checked out and went to the Hilton (which is cheaper and much more accommodating).

Although the front desk staff were apologetic, the manager was completely dismissing. It was enough to have us leave the hotel. We will need to dry all of our belongings to ensure we don't have bed bugs as well, and needless to say feel like our brief stay was a complete inconvenience.
Further, the hotel charged my card for the room and the deposit, after we had checked out. I left a message with the same manager's voicemail to call me immediately as I was already disappointed with the hotel. He didn't phone me the next morning as the staff said, so I called him again later that morning and still couldn't reach him. Later that afternoon he called me back and had nothing more to say than the charge will be refunded. No apology or anything.

This hotel is a total joke, the front desk staff should have the assistant manager's job. If bed bugs are a priority to avoid in your travels stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Book at the Hilton, it was cheaper and nicer
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Jill A
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Jill A,

We here at the Jupiter Hotel are hotel people, 365 days a year our lives are dedicated to the experiences that we can provide our guests through clean, fun rooms and great service. There is nothing that we haven't seen between all of our collective experience in this industry and one thing we all know is we are not experts. We leave bed bugs and the detection of them to the experts, which is why we have a company that inspects at random every month a sampling of our guest rooms using state of the art equipment including pooches. We pride ourselves on the fact that we have never had any room with an infestation and anytime we have a report from a guest we always have them come out to inspect the room. While myself and our Assistant General Manager are not sure what was on the bed that you found, I am sorry that you felt he was short with you as I can attest to his desire to and success at making our guests feel appreciated, understood and taken care of. His goal was to make sure you were most comfortable with the situation whether that was for you to move to another room or to check out of the hotel, not to give you an ultimatum. It sounds as if you have had problems in the past with other hotels and infestations and I can understand the proclivity to be over cautious when staying somewhere, but I assure you, just like all of our guests; here at the Jupiter Hotel you are in good hands- both those of our staff and management team as well as the comfort and cleanliness of our rooms. The charges placed on your account were returned to you as soon as we realized that you did not stay the night in the other rooms you moved to.
In the end, I am sorry that you did not have the experience that you wanted and I hope that you have luck finding comfort in future travels that you have. We would welcome you back with opens arms should you ever want to stay with us again.

Al Munguia

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Over priced and loud are the words I will use to describe the Jupiter Hotel.
We paid 150 for 1 night in what looked like a funky hip place. While it is funky and hip, you can hear conversations through the walls, ceiling and doors. The bed was on a platform the stuck out about a foot all around the mattress just high enough to hit you in the lower part of your shin if your not aware of it. Like when your coming back to bed from the bathroom and half awake. Being on the platform the top of the mattress is around 20 inch's from the floor(No boxspring). You have to push yourself up, after you examine your knees since their right in your face anyway.
I would go on but I want to put this behind me now.

I don't not recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ponch H

Dear Ponch H,

I am very sorry to hear that you had the experience you did. While our property is fun and hip, there is noise that does go on, and we acknowledge this. It sounds like you may have been on the bar patio side of the hotel and if so I can assure you that a stay on the chill side of the hotel might be more to your liking. I would love to get some details about your reservation so that I can look into the platform and shin issue as we are always trying to better ourselves for yourself and other future guests. Ultimately we want you to walk away from a stay with us feeling like you enjoyed yourself and my hope is that you will give us another shot to show you how much enjoyment you can have with a stay at the Jupiter.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I booked months ahead of time here for a work trip. I made a group booking and everything worked out great! The staff truly went above and beyond and helped me with all of my work needs. I wanted to provide donuts in the morning for the group, they called the famous local "Voodoo Donuts" for me in the morning and had coffee and these amazing treats all set up for us in the morning. The patio area served as a great meeting place and the staff made sure we had coffee refills whenever necessary. The room was soo comfortable and fun. Loved the chalk boards on the back of the door and the restaurant across the street. Made for a nice spot to unwind and grab a drink after a hard days work. Would recommend this for anyone, even the older travelers in my group enjoyed the upbeat vibe of this place.

Room Tip: If you want to party grab a room facing the restaurant if you want to sleep like a baby grab a quie...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear CherryM313,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share feedback on your experience. We pride ourselves on our ability to make your stay as easy as possible (by ordering breakfast noshes) and as memorable as possible (by going above and beyond). I'm glad that we thoroughly succeeded in both these for your stay and would love to do it anytime you come back to Portland.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Room and bathroom were small but fit our needs. Great restaurant, Doug Fir, right next door. Location was good, easy to walk to most places in Portland, especially if it is your first time like it was mine. I especially liked that there was parking!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Dear Keysmelanie,

I am glad that you enjoyed your first trip to Portland and that you enjoyed it with our family here at the Jupiter Hotel. Our hotel can certainly be a great home base location for embarking on the adventure that is Portland's East and West sides. I hope to see you staying with us again in the future soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We spent two nights at the Jupiter for a mini vaca from Seattle. The converted motel has a fun hip boutique feel. We loved the e o friendly bath amenities and the chalk board door. There was a fun book with suggested Portland activities and tours on the night stand. And the local wines on the desk were a nice touch.

The Doug Fir has great food. We got some fries to go our first night,and breakfast before we left, both delish. Our room was right above the lounge patio, we could hear everyone talking, but the room has complimentary ear plugs, so the noise wasn't a problem.

Itis still an old building, our door didn't fit the door frame,I could fit my finger between the door and the frame, and the bathroom was cold and didn't have any ventilation. We had some trouble with the cable, but with a little fiddling with the connection, we fixed it.

We are not picky people, so all the unique touches and good service outweighed any imperfections. Wifi is free too!

The location is not bad, walking distance from the Saturday market, but if you don't want to walk a mile, the #20 bus picks up a few blocks away and drops you off right byVoodoo.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper,ask for a room away from the lounge. also take advantage of your creative...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WanderlustyWoman

Dear WanderlustyWoman,

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing objective feedback to us and our future guests. I do agree that we have some inherent "unique" property features, but we are constantly trying to change and improve upon these. I would love to get some more information from you about the door as I have looked but cannot find a door with any clearance enough to fit a finger in, but would love to address that issue right away.

Again, we truly appreciate your business and hope that you come back to us each time you come to Portland. Please contact me directly for any future reservations.