“The Portland experience”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #66 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed here with my husband during a long weekend trip to Portland, and I can not imagine staying anywhere else. This hotel is perfect for anyone wanting to really experience the feel of Portland. It's not a 5 star cushy chain hotel... it is a unique place with an excellent atmosphere. There is live music every night, and yes, it gets loud. We got a room on the "chill side", but it was as close as we could get to the music while still being on the chill side. The music didn't bother us at all because we were so exhausted from doing touristy things all day, plus the AC provided some white noise to drown the music out.
The rooms were just ok, but still very trendy. Nothing especially special about the furnishings, but each room has a nice mural on the wall. Some people complained about the beds. The were not anything special either, but they were clean and we got a good night's sleep each night, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. We didn't get a kitchenette, so all we had was a basic room with a bed, desk and bathroom. That was sufficient for us because we were there to see the city, not eat in our room. We also had free wi-fi in our room.
The service in the lobby was exceptional. Each time we had a question they were more than happy to help. They have free coffee each morning and there were apples out when we got there. There is also some art work on display in the lobby, which I believe is for sale.
There was plenty of room to hang out outside in the courtyard. There were chairs and tables set up, which we made use of a few times. There is an underground parking lot as well as a parking lot across the street. They charged us $9 a day for parking, which we didn't mind paying. I am sure you could find parking on the street for free, but we felt better leaving our car in the underground (locked) parking lot. I believe the hotel does offer specials where they give free parking.
The city center of Portland is a few short blocks away, crossing over a bridge. The walk took about 10-15 minutes, and also led us to see some more things in Portland that we would have overlooked. Voodoo donuts is also just a few blocks away.
All in all, I am glad we stayed here, and would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, ask for a room on the "chill" side.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abtisam1
aljupiter, Front Office Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear abtisam1,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your stay. I am very glad to hear that our exceptional service and overall atmosphere allowed you to fully enjoy your trip to Portland and that you will be coming back. We would love to have you back here again so next time your plans bring you to Portland give me a call and I can help personally you make a reservation.

There are newer reviews for Jupiter Hotel

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I am a single woman traveling alone and stayed at the Jupiter Hotel for 2 nights. I saw when shutting the door that there was no bolt or chain as a security lock. I generally use the security bolt or chain when I am in my room alone. Hoping it was a safe area, I stayed the two nights. I was getting ready the morning and just about to step into the shower when I heard a knock on my door. Being undressed, I didn't go to open the door. After two knocks on the door, the maid pushes the door open and I yell 'come back later'. Instead of backing out of the room, she stood there and said 'when?' Would you believe me if I said I didn't care when or if she came back. I had grabbed a towel to hold over me. I'm just lucky, I guess, it wasn't one of the maintenance men. I no longer felt safe there as I didn't know who all had a key to my room. I would not stay there again until a safety bolt or chain is added.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ali F

Dear Ali F,

I appreciate you taking the time to offer comments on your stay with us as we cannot continue to better ourselves as a hotel without them. While we do not have chain sliders on our doors our electronic door locks are security encoded and have an extra large deadbolt for maximum security as well our property is monitored by camera and security staff. We take the security of all our guests very seriously and in no way ever want anyone to have the illusion that they are not safe. I will address with our housekeeping staff the scenario you encountered so that we can better make sure to avoid that confusion in the future. My hope is that you will come back and stay with us in the future and experience how amazing a stay with us can be.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were a group of friends who stayed at Jupiter for three nights. A perfect place to stay if you're in Portland for the weekend. The rooms are clean, modern and includes only the basic stuff you will need for your stay (a comfy bed, a nice bathroom, a TV). Breakfast at Doug Fir is highly recommended. Will stay there again next time in Portland.

Room Tip: Some other reviewers have been complaining about noice, but we were not disturbed by any noice from...

Dear Karin_B_10,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so glad to hear that we were the perfect hotel for your weekend trip! We try very hard to make everyone feel as if their stay has been tailored to fit their individual needs and it sounds like we accomplished that for you. We would be very happy to see you again when you make it to Portland again, feel free to contact me directly and I will personally make your reservation.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The asterisk is there because there was no event in the courtyard that night. I don't know how it would have gone if there had been any raucous event. Suffice it to say that families are not their target clientele, yet we felt satisfied with our stay. All in all, I was grateful to stay in such a tastefully outfitted, comfortable (awesome bed!), and conveniently located hotel. I will definitely come here again. Some people here have complained about the loud AC, but I actually appreciated it! The white noise helped my wife, baby, and I fall asleep with ease and perhaps drowned out any noise from neighbors. We never heard a peep!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JGuy4804

Dear JGuy4804,

Thank you for your patronage of the Jupiter Hotel and thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Hearing that your whole family was satisfied, comfortable and slept well, means we accomplished what we strive to do for all our guests. I look forward to having you stay with us in the future so that I might have the opportunity to thank you personally.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

So, I can't really review The Jupiter because I never saw much beyond the lobby. Upon arrival, right at check-in time, we were informed that our room type (the Deuce Bar Patio) had been oversold and we'd been relocated to the Eastside Lodge across the street.

What I find suspicious about all this is that I booked the room two months in advance and there was a large birthday party going on in the courtyard. I suspect, since my booking was made through an online travel agent, that mine was the first to go when the party guests started booking their rooms. I mean, it makes good business sense - the party guest rooms provide more of a profit margin than the OLTA bookings. Funny thing, though - see, I work for the OLTA that I booked my room through. I know what The Jupiter could have done differently - namely, calling the travel agency ahead of time to alert them of the overbooking and allowing me to make alternate arrangements as I saw fit. Instead, I was left with no choice but to accept the room at the Eastside Lodge.

The Eastside Lodge will garner its own review, but I will say that this choice a relo is a bit undesirable. None of the same amenities, charm or atmosphere of The Jupiter and, from what I can tell, the only thing comparable is the location and amount of beds in the room. Jupiter Hotel = fail.

The only thing saving this review from being a no-star disaster was the true remorse of the front desk clerk at The Jupiter and the comped future stay. We will meet again, Jupiter, so long as my reservation is good enough for you next time.

5  Thank strryeyedgrrl

Dear strryeyedgrrl,

It is never our wish to have to relocate any guest at anytime for any reason; so that you were relocated is unfortunate and I apologize. I completely agree that in a situation where we have advanced notice of an impending relocation all attempts should be made by us to alert the guest as early as possible and have secured an equivalent or better accommodation elsewhere. The specific incident which caused us to relocate you was regrettably one that left us with little time to proactively react and due to the cities high occupancy, we were unable to find another accommodation which I am sorry for. We value all of our guests despite how or where they reserve so I am sorry that you were under the impression that you were relocated because you booked through a Online Travel Agent however I can say that next time booking directly with us allows us to collect the contact information that we would have needed to give you a little more notice about the relocation situation. Again, my deepest apologies that you were relocated and could not stay with us, however my hope is that when you take advantage of the complimentary return offer we extended to you, you will have an experience leaving you wanting to come back each time you are in Portland.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

This old highway motel has been spiced up for the future. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a nice centre court where you can enjoy a drink or read a book. Bikes are for rent, which is a great way to explore the beautiful city of Portland. Next to it is a nice restaurant with a downstairs bar/concert hall. A perfect combination for a night out and you don’t need to go far after you’ve had enough to drink. Downtown is within walking distance; just take the Burnside Bridge straight into town. On your way you’ll pass a few concert halls. Portland is a modern, hip and music loving town and Jupiter is the (affordable) place to stay

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Carovh,

Thank you so much for staying with us and giving us your feedback. It never gets old hearing how much our guests enjoyed their stay and we are very lucky to have wonderful guests (such as yourself) who insist on sharing their thoughts and helping give future guests a view of their Jupiter experience. While our hotel's "vibe" is young and trendy we have always wanted it to be a fun experience for all ages and I'm glad it was for you. We would love to see you again the next time you are in Portland so please contact me directly and I can help you make a reservation.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Terrible experience, the owners sponsored and out of control late night highly amplified teen dance party by owner 50 feet outside my door. Owner and staff lied, were rude and totally unresponsive to guest requests for any consideration. I would never trust any people associated with this business. When I took the room I confirmed that there would be no event in the courtyard outside my room during my stay.
Very limited parking requires parking in questionable neighborhood blocks from the motel.

Room Tip: I would never recommend trusting this owner