“Nicer Urban Hotel but pricey”

Hilton Portland Downtown
Ranked #37 of 140 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Cruz, California
“Nicer Urban Hotel but pricey”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am not a fan of downtown hotels--I prefer staying in places that are quaint, out of the way and less corporate. That said, we had an good stay at this Hilton. We were finishing up a vacation and needed a place close to the airport the night before we left and this suited our needs within our price range. This is not an ideal place to stay with kids but the pool definitely made it a winner. The fitness center looked pretty appealing too. The rooms are small and the beds are small as well. We could also hear the elevators dinging all night. After staying in places where Wifi and other amenities were provided gratis, it was a little irritating to spend so much for an average room and then be charged for all the little extras. It wouldn't keep me from recommending the place but I don't think I would stay there for more than a night or two, at most.

Be aware that there are two buildings that are diagonally across an intersection. We thought we'd pulled into the hotel only to be told at check in that we'd have to walk across to the other building--and there is no sky bridge, so dealing with 2 tired kids, luggage at night in the rain was an adventure. Not a big deal, but just make note that it's a long trip if you forgot something in the car and need to "pop down" to the garage to get it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay but apologize for the trouble you experienced with the noise from the elevators. We strive to assure that our guests’ needs are accommodated, especially sleep quality. We hope you and your family have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Executive Towers offers nothing fancy. This is not a boutique or stylish hotel. Just good food, good bed, clean room, good location and fair pricing. The restaurant was a surprise. No need to go looking around town for a well prepared and tasty meal - and a good variety of standard American fare. This is where the airline personnel stay. They should know. I stayed here two weeks. Could not have been more pleased by the attentive and professional staff.

Room Tip: Get the 20th floor for a little more space - and if on business, this room comes with a very big des...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our fellow travelers. We hope you have an opportunity to visit us again soon and enjoy our restaurants and team members.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was there last night for business. Great location and easy to get around. It is an easy train ride over to the Rose Garden Arena for a Trail Blazers game.

The room I had was very small but I had only asked for the base room. I think next time I will pay more for a larger room. The floor that I was on looked like it needed some improvement but I understand they are currently working on different sections of the hotel.

Room service for a late dinner and breakfast was very good. The service from everyone - very friendly and that means a great deal to me.

Room Tip: Don't just go with the basic room. Upgrade for the space.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing a review with us. I’m delighted to read you had a pleasant stay, and that you enjoyed our team and their hospitality. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope you will have an opportunity to visit again
minneapolis, mn
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for a VERY brief trip to Portland where my wife was attending a conference. The hotel is conveniently located a block off of the light rail which we really liked. Hopped on the train at the airport and 40 minutes later we were checking in. We had a corner room with two walls of windows overlooking downtown and the river in the distance. Great view and a nice, clean room with comfortable beds. Only downsides I could find is no free Wi-Fi that I could find and the in room fees were pretty steep and charged per piece of equipment. With two smartphones and two laptops, that could have gotten pricey. Thankfully there was a coffee shop across the street with free wifi. Otherwise, location was great, lobby bar was fine, and the exercise room was one of the best I've found in a hotel lately.

Room Tip: As for a corner room!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m happy to hear you had a delightful stay and you enjoyed the views from your room. We also provide complementary Wifi for our guests in our lobby and restaurants for your convenience. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope you will have an opportunity to visit again.
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I traveled to Portland for business and stayed a night at the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower. The room was comfortable, quiet and clean, and staff (front desk, fitness center, concierge, gift shop and conference center) were all very friendly and helpful. The fitness center had a nice variety of workout equipment. But the lack of free Wi-Fi was a HUGE negative. If I had been traveling with family, this inconvenience would have made me consider one of the other downtown hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I am happy you chose us for your business trip and enjoyed your stay. We provide complimentary Wi-Fi to our guests in our lobbies and restaurants. We also have room packages that include internet during our guests stay. We hope you have an opportunity to visit us again.
Eugene, United States
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great location for walking in downtown Portland. Close to great shopping and fantastic restaurants. Don't bother with the room service though. While they're fast, the food is pretty marginal and not what you would expect from a higher end hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had read through the reviews for this hotel and was expecting a less than stellar experience. I was particularly concerned since they allow pets, that there would be fleas, filth and noise from animals.

This hotel has two buildings or towers- call it as you like. It is confusing to know which building you are staying in. However, both buildings have check in desks and can get you checked in and help you deal with parking. The executive tower seems to have ample parking while the other tower did not. The bonus with using the parking at the hotel is, obviously, in and out privileges, which the other parking lots around the hotel did not have.

We checked in, in one building and had to walk down the street and cross over to the executive tower where our room was. Overall it was not too inconvenient but I can see where this would be annoying to some and a hardship for guests that are not physically up to dragging their luggage about.

Our room was very clean, the mattress' in good shape, the bathroom was spotless, and overall the soundproofing was decent. We could not hear street noise from the traffic below and other than one incident I could not hear hotel guests in the hall. There was one inebriated guest who felt the need to announce her drunken return loudly outside our door but I could not hear her once she entered her room adjacent to ours.

A note to those with feather allergies: this hotel uses feather pillows and feather comforters. However, I found that the comforter had a thick enough duvet cover that I did not have any adverse reactions. Additionally, I contacted housekeeping and they brought additional non feather pillows up in about twenty minutes (the request was made during the afternoon). The housekeeping staff also offered to change out the feather comforter for us to accommodate our allergies.

I will state that the hallways had an odd odor but that the odor did not penetrate the rooms. Perhaps there was a pet accident in the hall? Whatever it was I picked up on it as soon as we exited the elevators.

The executive tower has a workout facility that is located right off the elevators. The workout area was clean and spotless when I used it. It consisted of bikes, ellipticals, and treadmills- all the equipment seemed to be i-phone/i-pod compatible. Some yoga equipment was also available for use.

The pool is just off the workout room; one must walk through the workout room to separate doors that open into the pool area. It is so small; I don't think it is even lap pool sized. My poor daughter who loves to swim just about froze trying to use the pool. The water is freezing cold!!! Perhaps they feel they don't have to heat the pool since it is indoors but that water needs to be warmed to be enjoyable. The interior of the pool area was not that inviting. It appeared to clean but the overall set-up of the pool area leaves something to be desired.

We ate dinner at Gustav’s (5035 NE Sandy Blvd.) which you would have to drive to get to. I highly recommend the cheese fondue and smoked bier sausage. You could make a meal of that with the arugula salad and be full. If you want a complete Bavarian dining experience try the Rheinlander- which is at the same address- reservations recommended.

We did eat the buffet breakfast in the hotel. The price was high but the staff is willing to make you what you like if they don't have it out. Their words when we were looking over the food choices. The breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, yogurt, breads, fruits and oatmeal. Standard hotel fare for breakfast.

Honestly, there are not that many breakfast restaurants open on a Sunday morning where this hotel is located. Had we walked clear over to the Pearl district we might have found something but much of downtown Portland is very seedy and not very pleasant to walk through. Parking is challenging at best when driving around downtown and it is a city of no left turns much like San Francisco.

If I had to visit Portland again and needed to be in the downtown area I would stay here again. The location is very central and the overall hotel experience was positive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hypathia
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your detailed review for our fellow travelers. We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit with us.