“Good location and very friendly service”

Hilton Portland Downtown
Ranked #37 of 140 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Good location and very friendly service”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was there last night for business. Great location and easy to get around. It is an easy train ride over to the Rose Garden Arena for a Trail Blazers game.

The room I had was very small but I had only asked for the base room. I think next time I will pay more for a larger room. The floor that I was on looked like it needed some improvement but I understand they are currently working on different sections of the hotel.

Room service for a late dinner and breakfast was very good. The service from everyone - very friendly and that means a great deal to me.

Room Tip: Don't just go with the basic room. Upgrade for the space.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing a review with us. I’m delighted to read you had a pleasant stay, and that you enjoyed our team and their hospitality. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope you will have an opportunity to visit again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
minneapolis, mn
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for a VERY brief trip to Portland where my wife was attending a conference. The hotel is conveniently located a block off of the light rail which we really liked. Hopped on the train at the airport and 40 minutes later we were checking in. We had a corner room with two walls of windows overlooking downtown and the river in the distance. Great view and a nice, clean room with comfortable beds. Only downsides I could find is no free Wi-Fi that I could find and the in room fees were pretty steep and charged per piece of equipment. With two smartphones and two laptops, that could have gotten pricey. Thankfully there was a coffee shop across the street with free wifi. Otherwise, location was great, lobby bar was fine, and the exercise room was one of the best I've found in a hotel lately.

Room Tip: As for a corner room!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m happy to hear you had a delightful stay and you enjoyed the views from your room. We also provide complementary Wifi for our guests in our lobby and restaurants for your convenience. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope you will have an opportunity to visit again.
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I traveled to Portland for business and stayed a night at the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower. The room was comfortable, quiet and clean, and staff (front desk, fitness center, concierge, gift shop and conference center) were all very friendly and helpful. The fitness center had a nice variety of workout equipment. But the lack of free Wi-Fi was a HUGE negative. If I had been traveling with family, this inconvenience would have made me consider one of the other downtown hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I am happy you chose us for your business trip and enjoyed your stay. We provide complimentary Wi-Fi to our guests in our lobbies and restaurants. We also have room packages that include internet during our guests stay. We hope you have an opportunity to visit us again.
Eugene, United States
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great location for walking in downtown Portland. Close to great shopping and fantastic restaurants. Don't bother with the room service though. While they're fast, the food is pretty marginal and not what you would expect from a higher end hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had read through the reviews for this hotel and was expecting a less than stellar experience. I was particularly concerned since they allow pets, that there would be fleas, filth and noise from animals.

This hotel has two buildings or towers- call it as you like. It is confusing to know which building you are staying in. However, both buildings have check in desks and can get you checked in and help you deal with parking. The executive tower seems to have ample parking while the other tower did not. The bonus with using the parking at the hotel is, obviously, in and out privileges, which the other parking lots around the hotel did not have.

We checked in, in one building and had to walk down the street and cross over to the executive tower where our room was. Overall it was not too inconvenient but I can see where this would be annoying to some and a hardship for guests that are not physically up to dragging their luggage about.

Our room was very clean, the mattress' in good shape, the bathroom was spotless, and overall the soundproofing was decent. We could not hear street noise from the traffic below and other than one incident I could not hear hotel guests in the hall. There was one inebriated guest who felt the need to announce her drunken return loudly outside our door but I could not hear her once she entered her room adjacent to ours.

A note to those with feather allergies: this hotel uses feather pillows and feather comforters. However, I found that the comforter had a thick enough duvet cover that I did not have any adverse reactions. Additionally, I contacted housekeeping and they brought additional non feather pillows up in about twenty minutes (the request was made during the afternoon). The housekeeping staff also offered to change out the feather comforter for us to accommodate our allergies.

I will state that the hallways had an odd odor but that the odor did not penetrate the rooms. Perhaps there was a pet accident in the hall? Whatever it was I picked up on it as soon as we exited the elevators.

The executive tower has a workout facility that is located right off the elevators. The workout area was clean and spotless when I used it. It consisted of bikes, ellipticals, and treadmills- all the equipment seemed to be i-phone/i-pod compatible. Some yoga equipment was also available for use.

The pool is just off the workout room; one must walk through the workout room to separate doors that open into the pool area. It is so small; I don't think it is even lap pool sized. My poor daughter who loves to swim just about froze trying to use the pool. The water is freezing cold!!! Perhaps they feel they don't have to heat the pool since it is indoors but that water needs to be warmed to be enjoyable. The interior of the pool area was not that inviting. It appeared to clean but the overall set-up of the pool area leaves something to be desired.

We ate dinner at Gustav’s (5035 NE Sandy Blvd.) which you would have to drive to get to. I highly recommend the cheese fondue and smoked bier sausage. You could make a meal of that with the arugula salad and be full. If you want a complete Bavarian dining experience try the Rheinlander- which is at the same address- reservations recommended.

We did eat the buffet breakfast in the hotel. The price was high but the staff is willing to make you what you like if they don't have it out. Their words when we were looking over the food choices. The breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, yogurt, breads, fruits and oatmeal. Standard hotel fare for breakfast.

Honestly, there are not that many breakfast restaurants open on a Sunday morning where this hotel is located. Had we walked clear over to the Pearl district we might have found something but much of downtown Portland is very seedy and not very pleasant to walk through. Parking is challenging at best when driving around downtown and it is a city of no left turns much like San Francisco.

If I had to visit Portland again and needed to be in the downtown area I would stay here again. The location is very central and the overall hotel experience was positive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hypathia
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your detailed review for our fellow travelers. We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My second home for a time while I'm working in Portland, Hilton Exec Tower has been very lovely. There is rarely a problem, and when there is they are quick to respond. Their staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you home on your next visit!
Hood River, Oregon
Reviewed March 30, 2013

As has been stated numerous times, you pay the price and then get hit with expensive parking and internet...which does not work well anyway in your room. They tell you parking is more elsewhere (it's not) and they don't tell you about the free wifi in the lobby. The toilet did not work in our first room. We said we would stay put when they promised they would fix it while we were out for dinner, but it was not done and we had to move at 10pm, only to find the door lock did not work on the second room. We were given vochers for complimentary buffet breakfast for our trouble, good, but when we got there we were told we could not have the hot food, eggs, bacon, etc. This is not what I expect from a Hilton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges. I apologize if the charges were not clear when you booked the room and we will do a better job of providing the best amenities for at an affordable price for our guests. I sincerely apologize with the inconveniences in both of your guest rooms and will be sure that this is addressed with our maintenance team. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we will use your review as guidance as we work to improve our services. Thank you for your review.