“Ehhhh”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ames, Iowa
“Ehhhh”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was initially miffed by my stay because I was not granted the group/conference discount just because I somehow booked outside the allotted dates (I do not know how considering I navigated to the reservation webpage via the conference webpage). I was surprised (not in a good way) by the quality, given that the hotel is a Hilton...

The Wi-Fi was unreliable and expensive for room-access ($12.95/day PER DEVICE!!). Also, the hotel gift shop was absurdly over-priced even by hotel gift shop-standards. I got sick while I was away and needed to purchase medicine ($8 for NyQuil, $13 for Tylenol Cold & Flu) and juice ($4 for Vitamin Water). The hotel bar/cafe was not at all impressive--it looked like the interior of a workplace cafeteria and it closed early.

The service was very good--the front desk reception were attentive and friendly and the concierge was very helpful. The staff also allowed me to check out 90 minutes late without any additional charge. Unfortunately, the people could not entirely compensate for the less than impressive facilities and resources. The location was fairly good as well, but there were several other nearby places to stay so I don't think that should be considered too heavily.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay, I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience with staff members and value at our hotel. Your review provides feedback that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and better meet guest expectations. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hospitality we stand for should you return to Portland in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our overall experience was good, but there were some room condition issues that left us disappointed. The front desk staff was pleasant during check in and check out, and the concierge was exceptionally helpful. I felt the price of valet parking was a bit much, but the convenience was great. Our room was nice, clean, and very modern with some nice touches. Our disappointment came when we attempted to use the tub drain, and sink drain. Neither worked properly and that seems like quite the oversite by the housekeeping/maintenance staff. Our stay was pleasant, and the location is fabulous. We would definately return, but we will probably check the drains upon arrival.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EricJ5876
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stays at our hotel. I am pleased to read you have had a pleasant experiences and I will let our team know that they helped you have positive stays in Portland. I am sorry to read some room conditions left you disappointed and we shared your experience with our engineering team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

It's in a great location. The room is a typical Hilton room (comfortable bed) with the usual amenities. However, if wifi is important to you, I'd reconsider staying here. The connection kept dropping, and I finally had to give up on what I was working on. It's a very weak signal, and it didn't get better at any point during my stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MoeMom
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and appreciate the many positive things you mentioned about our hotel. I apologize for the issue of the internet. We are working with AT&T to improve the service to all our guest rooms. We value your business and hope to have the opportunity create a more perfect experience for you.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Review is of the Executive Tower.

Rooms: Rooms are clean. Nothing too special to report but they do the job.

Location: This property is in the center of downtown. Transportation around town and to/from the airport is accessible via the light rail which is steps outside the property.

Hhonors Breakfast: Upgrade to full buffet is a small fee (~$5).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. It’s good to read that you enjoyed your stay. We value your business and hope to serve you again.
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed March 7, 2013

First off all, the parking is all valet and once they park your car you have to call them and have them retrieve any forgotten items. Not a good set up especially for a family with children who are bound to forget something. The parking fee was $32 a night!
The front desk staff were very snotty and not nice during check-in. The rooms are small and cramped but the beds were comfortable.
The wifi is $12.95 PER night PER device. With teenage boys and their ipods and my laptop we would have been paying $38.25 per night for Internet. NOT! We just did without.
The pool and fitness center is nice and girl at the desk there was very nice as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your detailed review of our property as we value all of our guests’ comments. I am disappointed to learn and apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We will take your comments into consideration and use them to help us improve our guest experience. I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again in the future to give us the opportunity to create a more pleasant experience for you.
Mission Viejo
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I took my daughter to Portland and we were in a room that had an OK view but was hoping for a better option considering it was her first time. The tower is hard to get to and it seems a bit dated. The beds in this 2 single bed room were not Hilton standard in terms of comfort and my back was hurting the next morning. I might stay here again if I am on the other side of the hotel which seems to be more modern.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry to read that your stay with us was not as you had anticipated. We hope you will consider staying again to give us the opportunity to recreate a more pleasant experience for you.
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I got this hotel through Priceline for three nights. I'm always had good experiences with hotel that I got through Priceline, but not this time. Prior to check-in, the couple in line ahead of me, requested a King bed and were told they had several King rooms available. I was checking in around 9:30 pm. So I decided to ask for a King room. The staff member pulled up my reservation and stated that my reservation was through Hotels.com...then said they had no King rooms available. I was like okay.The second night I asked if any King rooms were available, I was told yes a standard King room was available but I would have to pay an upgrade fee.

There was one other instance that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. There was a conference taking place at the hotel. I went to the front desk to ask a simple question about printing out my boarding pass (which was a free service offered by the hotel) and before he answered my question, he asked if I was here for the conference. I said no. He response was "Oh...well..." I was a guest at the hotel, what did it matter if I was there for the conference or not? I will say that I could be looking at it based on what had happened earlier with the King room and that he meant nothing by it.

I was pleased with the hotel's location. There were a good number of stores and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ravens67
AnthonyRico, Manager at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.