“Service needs improving”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 26, 2014

After an 8 hour car drive we arrived at the entrance to the Mark Spencer Hotel. There is no private entrance only two on road designated parking spots which were filled. After driving around the hotel about six times we eventually gave up since there was no sign of the driver of either car or any employee from the hotel to give us instructions. We drove down the street to paid parking while I headed off to the front desk to check in. I have stayed in hundred of hotels over the years and have never been in a situation where I had to park my car in a paid parking lot in order to check in. The hotel should have valet parking or at least someone welcoming guests .

I overheard an employee later on tell a newly arrived guest that they could park their car in-front while they took their bags to their rooms. Really should this be an option during check in times with only two temporary spots. Like me there were other guests arriving waiting for the two spots to open up. The car behind me even received a parking ticket while he ran into the hotel to ask for instructions.

When we eventually made it to the desk there were three agents running around and not one took the time to tell the guests in line that they would be with them in a moment. No eye contact was made not good considering the welcome received.

The room was clean but the internet sketching considering one of my party was planning on working remotely. We asked for a late check out mainly because of the sketchy internet and not being able to complete a project which was on a deadline. However when we asked if we could leave the car in the garage for another 1 1/2 hours we were told this was not possible.

Really does a hotel guest want to hear an employee tell them that "we have already extended a late check out to you and now you want to use the garage for another 11/2 hours, sorry it is not possible".

So we left the hotel and the half empty garage to drop one of our party off at a Starbucks to use the internet while I parked on a side street for 1 1/2 hours waiting for her to finish. I did not feel comfortable parking my car on the street with our suitcases and shopping in it.

I would suggest that the management invest some time in training and giving the front desk staff authorization to make decisions, like extending parking to guests for another few hours. It would have made a big difference to us and maybe reinstated confidence in your hotel.

Having said that the location was excellent and the rooms very comfortable.

We stayed at another hotel prior to this were the staff were exceptional.

Would I recommend this hotel, absolutely not.... I arrived at the hotel feeling agitated and left feeling angry.

Room Tip: Request a room not overlooking the concrete wall.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Carrie A
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for any service issues you experienced as our guest. We do have several parking spots in front of the hotel, which is only a 15 minute zone to unload your luggage and check in. Unfortunately, our bellman was unavailable as he was helping another guest with their arrival. We had quite a few check-ins on the day you arrived and if you did not receive an immediate greeting from my front desk staff, I again, would like to apologize. We try to accommodate all of our guests requesting late check-outs from guestrooms and the parking garage, knowing that this simple request can be a big help to you. If you would like to phone me, I would love the opportunity to discuss these issues with you and revisit this with my staff.
Pam

Write a ReviewReviews (1,685)

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I visit Portland quit a bit and stay at various hotels. Recently I was in Portland and booked this hotel for a 3 night stay and I found it to be a very nice choice. Old fashion charm and best of all was it's location. Right in the heart of town with good restaurants and places to shop. The Mark Spencer also has parking. I liked the location of the hotel and the area. I do recommend staying here if you come to Portland. You will enjoy this property. I am sure!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

I'm so glad you found us! Our location is ideal for the traveler who wants to experience every corner of downtown Portland. Our city is remarkably easy to maneuver around and our staff is always available to recommend dining, shopping, theatre, etc. options for you. We hope to see you again soon! Thank you for choosing the Mark Spencer Hotel.
Have a wonderful summer.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This place has some history but our room smelled and our only window opened into a central channel above the atrium to give the rooms some light. Great location! The staff were good, as was the breakfast and happy hour!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. The Mark Spencer Hotel is a historic gem with a fascinating past as one might expect of a hotel over 100 years old. We are moving through a complete renovation process and as more of our guestrooms are being remodeled, they are transforming into beautiful guest spaces.
I'm happy you were able to join us for our evening wine tasting - hope you had a fresh baked cookie, too! If you find yourself in Portland again, we would love to have you as our guest to enjoy our new, beautiful rooms.
All the best!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Mark Spencer, an older hotel with renovated rooms, served our needs well during a three night stay in early June. Lower floor rooms were dark but quiet and spacious. Service was excellent. Price was competitive. Sound proofing was surprisingly good. Location was ideal for walking, access to the good and inexpensive public transportation system, and closeness to the entertaining Pearl District with its restaurants (don't miss Yama Sushi or Andina or Lovejoy Bakery), shops (especially Powell's Books), galleries, and ice cream parlors (like Cool Moon). Even Voodoo Donuts and Chinatown were nearby enough for a longish walk or short taxi or transportation trip. Only downtown and the riverside are a bit farther away. Many places to eat and have good coffee very close after a day of tourism (including Stumptown and Jake's Grill a few doors away and Cheryl's around the corner).

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor for more light.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

We love to hear about your Portland favorites! Everyone seems to find just the right place to call their own and Portland has many wonderful restaurants, shopping, theatres, etc. to choose from. Every city block is an adventure and I'm happy to hear you found some of Portland's best - Powell's Bookstore, VooDoo Donuts, Jake's, Cheryl's and Cool Moon.
I hope when you plan your next visit to Portland, you will allow us to be your host once again. Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed for a week last week and couldn't have had a better stay. The service was great, the staff incredibly friendly, location was close to great sites and restaurants and highways for driving. The breakfast was good but cappuccino machine in the lobby was even better! Loved it and would return without question. Beds very comfortable.
Mike

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your review. We love to hear when our guests have enjoyed certain things about the hotel. Our coffee machine is amazing and serves up delicious cappuccinos, lattes, mochas and, or course, regular coffee! We would love to have you back for another week soon. Have a wonderful summer!
All the best,

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The staff really made the difference in this great location downtown hotel. Spent a working weekend there and appreciate the help while I had incredible back spasms.

The room was surprisingly large and had a kitchen area. Appreciate the included breakfast.

Room Tip: Kenny and Zuke's Delicatessen is right across the street!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. I hope you had a successful working weekend with no more back spasms. We love Kenny & Zukes, too! It's a fun deli experience with delicious sandwiches! I hope your next visit to Portland will bring you back to The Mark Spencer Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.

Have a wonderful summer!

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

The Mark Spencer has very comfortable rooms, quiet and spacious. We'd have been even happier if the room had been ready for us at 3:30 p.m., and in fact we had to expostulate firmly even an hour later to get our room. But they certainly redeemed themselves by allowing us the next day to check out early with no penalty, when we decided to go home on the spur of the moment because the weather wasn't fun. The breakfast was quite adequate, and the cookies in the afternoon are a nice touch.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your time in reviewing The Mark Spencer. I'm so sorry you had to wait for your room. We typically have all rooms ready by our 4pm check-in time. We are always happy to accommodate our guests with early check-out, as well. Sometimes events arise that you didn't count on. We appreciate your choosing to stay with us and hope to see you again soon. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest!