“Very good hotel in an excellent neighborhood”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 141 Hotels in Portland
New York City, New York
“Very good hotel in an excellent neighborhood”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The hotel was a delightful surprise. Full refrigerator, stove, and sink along with the utensils. New York Times at your day on weekdays. The streetcar passes the front of the building. Close to the famous food carts where I had most of my tasty meals.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank gilbertrobichaud
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. The food carts are amazing and I'm sure you found a few favorites! I've eaten a few meals there myself! I hope you were also able to join us for our complimentary wine tasting each evening. We choose a variety of local and regional Oregon and Washington wines to sample each evening. We would love to have you return so we can share more of Portland with you. Thank you for being our guest!
Have a wonderful summer!
Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2014

stayed here for 4 days the rooms were great the hotel staff were excellent it's in a great location for just about everything
would recommend this hotel and would be willing to stay here again
the only thing which I would recommend is that they put in a ramp or some form into the foyer, although it only has a few steps to front desk with heavy luggage it was a bit of a struggle getting it up and down the stairs on entering and leaving

Room Tip: rooms were fine we had the second floor (as I do not like to be too high off the ground) overlookin...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jessica d
Thank you for visiting us all the way from Australia! I hope you enjoyed Portland as much as we enjoyed having you as our guest. I would like to apologize for any struggles you had getting your luggage into the lobby. We do have a bellman on duty to assist our guests with luggage as well as a second entrance with a short elevator ride to the hotel lobby. I'm sure either of these options will be more helpful to you next time. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Safe travels,
Brisbane
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Our first trip to Portland was made even more enjoyable by our stay here. Staff were one of the most helpful and friendly we have encountered. The afternoon wine buffet was a bonus as was having kitchen facilities in our room. Location was great being close to transport and shopping and with plenty of eating and drinking options. Have already recommended a trip to Portland to friends and a stay at the Mark Spencer.

1 Thank ctacs
Thank you so much for your endorsement. We love welcoming "friends of friends", especially when they mention our previous guests. Our staff loves to help with sightseeing, restaurants, shopping (yes, it is tax free!) and information on city and regional festivals, theatres and museums. We hope you will visit Portland again soon and would love to have you return to The Mark Spencer. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you again!
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This was our first trip to Portland, we had heard many great things about the city and the area. The Mark Spencer was everything that we hoped it would be. The location is incredible 2 blocks from the Pearl District, 4 blocks from The Met (light rail), 1-2 blocks from the streetcar depending on which way you are going. The staff was very nice and attentive. I highly recommend The Mark Spencer to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king bed suite, on the NorthEast corner. I don't see how there could be a bad roo...
1 Thank Dave M
I always love to hear from guests who have visited Portland for the first time. I'm happy you enjoyed our city and The Mark Spencer Hotel. Our staff loves to chat with our guests and guide them to all the places on their "Portland" list. We do have the best location to use as a home base while exploring the city. If you find yourself returning to our beautiful city, I would personally love to "Welcome You Back" - it would be our pleasure to have you as our guest once again.
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We overnighted here on our road trip. Feels like the hotel is a refurbishment/conversion of old apartments. The rooms are spacious with very private bathrooms( am I alone in thinking this is a huge plus?) nice little kitchenette and super friendly/ helpful staff. The elevators are a bit small to negotiate with a lot of luggage but not a real problem.i never went but the family reported a lovely breakfast too. Very good location close to lots of good restaurants, bookstores and delis. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I have no idea about the swimming pool or kiddies activities but could not delete my rating !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Debbief27
Thank you for including us on your road trip! It's always nice to find a comfortable bed at the end of a long day of traveling and we're happy you found us! I'm sure all the nearby restaurants presented an abundance of choices for you. Did you find your favorite? We truly appreciate your choosing to stay with us and wish you safe travels!

Warm Regards,

Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This property was everything we wanted plus more!
The staff was terrific- Brian and Laura on the desk gave us great directions to attractions- Michael
added great advice on food and entertainment. The location is in a beautiful neighborhood close to Jimmy Mac's Jazz club, Powell Books, Gerding Theater and bus stations.
Our king suite was lovely with refrigerator and stove, plus the breakfast, cookies and coffee mid afternoon and wine and cheese at 5- what a bargain! Great comfy bed too.
This place rocks- we will never stay anywhere else in Portland.
Bravo to all!

Room Tip: King suite is lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the compliments to our staff! They are well acquainted with our beautiful city and love helping you get the most from your visit to Portland. I hope you were able to visit the famous food carts while you were here. A true collection of delicious and creative fare! I would like to personally thank you for being our guest. It was our pleasure and we hope to see you again soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The reason for this review is our delight with the amazing staff and management during our recent stay. My husband and I stayed at the Mark Spencer on our wedding night, almost 15 years ago. We stayed again this weekend, with our kids this time, as a "stay-cation". My husband emailed ahead, unbeknownst to me, asking if the hotel could provide a little something that is NOT part of their regular package offerings, as a surprise to me. And there on the (very comfy) bed was a silver tray, with a half-size bottle of a local port wine, a box of JaCiva's truffles, and two champagne flutes. The staff were very helpful, and also provided a few goodies for the kids. None of which showed up on the bill! We'll definitely stay again, after the renovations are done!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Happy Anniversary! It was an honor to have you return to The Mark Spencer after 15 years. I'm happy you enjoyed your "stay-cation" with us. My staff had fun getting things together for you and your family. I hope you will return on a future anniversary so we may show you the beautiful renovations to our guestrooms and public areas - you'll be amazed! It was truly our pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. We look forward to seeing you again!
Warm Regards,