“Perfect”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This property was everything we wanted plus more!
The staff was terrific- Brian and Laura on the desk gave us great directions to attractions- Michael
added great advice on food and entertainment. The location is in a beautiful neighborhood close to Jimmy Mac's Jazz club, Powell Books, Gerding Theater and bus stations.
Our king suite was lovely with refrigerator and stove, plus the breakfast, cookies and coffee mid afternoon and wine and cheese at 5- what a bargain! Great comfy bed too.
This place rocks- we will never stay anywhere else in Portland.
Bravo to all!

Room Tip: King suite is lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you so much for the compliments to our staff! They are well acquainted with our beautiful city and love helping you get the most from your visit to Portland. I hope you were able to visit the famous food carts while you were here. A true collection of delicious and creative fare! I would like to personally thank you for being our guest. It was our pleasure and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Mark Spencer Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2014

The reason for this review is our delight with the amazing staff and management during our recent stay. My husband and I stayed at the Mark Spencer on our wedding night, almost 15 years ago. We stayed again this weekend, with our kids this time, as a "stay-cation". My husband emailed ahead, unbeknownst to me, asking if the hotel could provide a little something that is NOT part of their regular package offerings, as a surprise to me. And there on the (very comfy) bed was a silver tray, with a half-size bottle of a local port wine, a box of JaCiva's truffles, and two champagne flutes. The staff were very helpful, and also provided a few goodies for the kids. None of which showed up on the bill! We'll definitely stay again, after the renovations are done!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Happy Anniversary! It was an honor to have you return to The Mark Spencer after 15 years. I'm happy you enjoyed your "stay-cation" with us. My staff had fun getting things together for you and your family. I hope you will return on a future anniversary so we may show you the beautiful renovations to our guestrooms and public areas - you'll be amazed! It was truly our pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

The hotel is in a good hotel for city wandering .Close to everything.We "made an offer" on their website and got a very spacious one bedroom,siting room plus kitchenette for a reasonable price.The parking was also only $18 which is rare for a city hotel..They had a complimentary wine tasting which introduced us to Oregon wines and good continental breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

So happy you were able to join us for our evening wine reception! It's quite popular as it allows our guests to taste different wines from Oregon and Washington as well as mingle with other guests and staff. It's one of our favorite daily events too! I hope you found some fun Portland restaurants and shops that became your favorites as you wandered through town. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

The hotel is in a great location. Light rail, bars, restaurants, parks, food carts, and shops are all within a few minutes walk. We were in town for a half marathon and to watch the Timbers play and found no need for transportation other than our legs. If you want a place that is near it all and doesn't require you to have a car, The Mark Spencer definitely fits that description.

We stayed in a junior queen suite which, while older, was also a very well maintained and clean room. The bedding was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The furniture in the "suite" section of the room was older but also well maintained (no holes, stains, or signs of wear on the couch) If you are a person that needs to stay at something that looks shiny and new, this probably won't work for you. If you like to stay at something that has a bit of charm and is well maintained, this hotel is value for money.

Other things you may care about:
While a light rail runs in front of the hotel, I couldn't hear it from our room which was facing and just above the rail line (it occurred to me two days in that I should be hearing the light rail go by and I hadn't).
Free wifi
Free breakfast (standard continental fare)
Free coffee, latte, cappuccino, etc. throughout the day
Free wine and cheese reception
Very friendly and helpful staff

I would definitely stay here again the next time I am in Portland.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

A half marathon and the Timbers game? You were really on the go during your visit to Portland! I'm happy you found the beds to be comfortable - a nice ending to your busy days! As I read your review listing our complimentary amenities, I saw the one item that meant the most - our friendly and helpful staff. I will be sure to pass along your comments to them - it will make their day! Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Located in the heart of Portland, this older building is a great location. You can walk everywhere. The executive suite included a combo living room/kitchen. The staff was helpful. Breakfast was easy. Parking is available. A good value for the price especially in a big city.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

We get many comments on our location, but it's certainly worth mentioning again! Portland is such a walkable city with short city blocks, easy to use public transportation with shops and restaurants everywhere! And who doesn't love tax-free shopping? We would love to welcome you back again the next time you visit our beautiful city. Thank you for staying with us - it was our pleasure to be your host!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This old girl was typical of older renovated hotels but very clean and the a/c worked very well . You have to expect a smaller bathroom an older kitchenette and slow elevators . My only quibble was there was no signage for the ice machine but after a brief search I consulted the front desk to discover it was in the basement .
The doorman was very helpful in selecting restaurants .

1  Thank BillyV007

I enjoyed reading your comment about "the old girl" - she is definitely in the process of getting a refresh! Portland has so many beautiful older buildings and The Mark Spencer is proud to be in their company. As we move forward with renovations, we are conscious of keeping the beauty of the building intact. We have many exciting plans for her future and hope you will return to see the creative use of space that will be incorporated into the guestrooms and public areas. Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I make work trips out to Portland on a regular basis and Mark Spencer is my go-to hotel of choice. It's in a terrific location downtown (SW side, walking distance to my work, metro, Powells, plus a Whole Foods and lots of restaurants). I've never had anything but a positive experience there. There's a wonderful, home-y feel to the place. Staff are incredibly helpful, whether it's letting me store luggage or helping out when I forgot an important item (toothbrushes are important!). They offer a complimentary breakfast, plus have mini-kitchens in the spacious rooms. I really appreciate all the nice touches to make my stay feel like home. Plus, if you've got a pooch, they are dog-friendly. My organization is considering exclusively booking out-of-town staff here for any business trips.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Wow! We couldn't have asked for a nicer review or a better endorsement. The things you mentioned that you appreciate as a guest are important to us as well. We want to make your stay enjoyable and stress-free - right down to the fresh baked cookies in our library! Thank you for your past, present and any future stays with us! It is our pleasure to have you as our guest!