“What a Great Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #12 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Saint Louis, Missouri
“What a Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

This was a great experience. The rooms were very comfortable, the staff outstanding. The location was close and convenient to many of the local stores/restaurants/bars. Parking was safe and secure. I would highly recommend this hotel for any travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel and for your kind comments. I'm happy you enjoyed your visit to Portland and for allowing us to be your host. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest!

Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
Pendleton, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

I had a great stay at The Mark Spencer! My friend and I stayed three nights. The newly remodeled room was great! The bed comfy, the bathroom nice, the room great!. The complementary breakfast was more than enough...oatmeal, cereal, croissants, muffins, bagels, toast, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and the espresso machine!!! Lovely! The staff was friendly and helpful. Location, location, location!!!!!! Walking distance to everything! I will definitely stay again for both work and pleasure! Great find!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're so glad you found us! Our location is one of the best in town with many Portland attractions within blocks of the hotel - and the trolley runs right outside our front door. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I will pass them along as they are always happy when they have been of service to our guests!
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at The Mark Spencer Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Mount Vernon, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Chose this hotel for an overnight stay in Portland on business. Received a room upgrade from a standard queen to a king room with kitchenette. Everything was very clean, but small. The bed was exceedingly comfortable, yet the view from the only window in the room was unappealing, as it faced the over side of the "U" shaped building. The laughable kicker, however, was the very outdated kitchenette. This hotel was renovated in 1960, and the appliances show it. I did not need a kitchenette, so this really wasn't a problem for me, but it's worth mentioning. What I did need was a good night's rest, and that I got in abundance. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel for your visit to Portland. We receive many comments on our beds, so I'm happy you found it comfortable too! As more and more of our guestrooms are renovated, I would love for you to see the difference in the new rooms. Everything has been replaced right down to the plumbing and electrical work. The new furnishings have been carefully selected for your enjoyment - beautiful new bathrooms, carpeting, large HD TV's, artwork, etc.
We would love to have you visit us again the next time you're in Portland. Thank you for being our guest!

Staten Island, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while on a business trip. I was told it was a boutique hotel. Lobby was charming and the area where they have nightly free wine and cheese is very nice. It's when I got into the elevator and stepped into the hallway. It is dated..has dark carpet and all the rooms had dark brown doors. The room was very small, I was checked in for 5 nights and knew i'd be miserable. The "kitchen" was laughable. OLD appliances which are probably worth something bc they are antiques. The room was clean but bathroom was dated. I will try to attach pics, While looking out of my window across to the neighboring building I saw a bunch of guys staring out of their window into the Mark Spencer's windows. I think the building they were in was a hostile..there were rugs hung on the windows as shades! I am from NYC and this reminded me of an area I would stay away from..The staff is friendly and apparently a lot of people like this hotel. It just wasn't for me.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisa D
I'm so sorry you were disappointed with the hotel during your stay. While not all of our rooms have been renovated yet, our guestroom corridors are brand new with beautiful artwork, crown molding and guestroom doors. The hotel is located in the new, revitalized West End District, with new shops, restaurants, theatre, outdoor markets and many more exciting things to see and do. I hope you were able to visit some of our new neighbors.
Thank you for your review and for being our guest.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Right downtown in the touristy area. Walking distance to the market, riverfront, Voodoo Doughnuts, Powell's books, and many other local attractions... service is great. From the coffe/latte machine being available 24/7, to the solid continental breakfast, to the gymn, the amenities and "freebies" are better than most places. The service was great... example: I had my 2 year-old in one arm and my breakfast in another and was heading for the elevator. The desk clerk saw me and practically sprinted to beat me there to get me a car and push the button to my floor. Nothing over the top... but let me know they are paying attention to their customers! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank bhanses
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Portland! There are so many fun activities to do with children, along with great food, museums, live theatre, outdoor markets and VooDoo Donuts! Don't you love the pink boxes?

My staff is proud to be of service to you and truly enjoy taking care of our guests. I hope you found your way to the fresh baked cookies in the library during tea time.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us - it was our pleasure to have you as our guest!

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed at the Mark Spencer Hotel for 5 nights and had a mixed experience. We had a problem in the room with extreme static electricity in the sofa bed's bed sheets - the front desk were responsive to the problems but initially failed to deliver on their promises. After two sleepless nights and long discussions, we moved rooms and were provided with cotton rather than polyester sheets. Consequently we stayed in refurbished and non-refurbished rooms, and honestly there didn't seem to be much difference between the two apart from the colour of the walls. The kitchenette appliances are old - we didn't use the cooker and there is no microwave. The room was spotlessly clean, and the front desk staff although slow to act were utterly delightful at all times. They were able to recommend things to do in the area and booked us onto a day tour of Mt.Hood (highly recommend it!), which picked us from the hotel. Breakfast was simple (bagels, yoghurts, juice, cereals, and boiled eggs) but plentiful, and the access to the coffee machine 24/7 was very welcome. We didn't make use of the daily wine reception or the afternoon cookies, as we were out exploring the city! The hotel has a fantastic location, a 10 minute walk from pioneer square, 1 block from Powell's and the Pearl District, 1 block from the street car, 4 blocks from the MAX. There are great restaurants nearby (try Clyde Common, Sizzle Pie, and Kenny And Zuke's). The hotel was incredibly good value for money and had we not had the static problem in the first room we would have been totally satisfied by everything about the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ajg16
I would like to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. The static electricity with the sheets on the sofa sleeper was a complete mystery to us - even after we provided special sheets to you for this bed. Both of the rooms you occupied during your stay had not been renovated yet, so we suspect the problem might be the older sofa sleeper. Our new furnishings are carefully chosen for comfort and we have not had any known static issues coming from the new decor. Thank you for the mention and I assure you we are checking on this in other guestrooms.
You're right about our location - it couldn't be better! Exploring the city on foot is the best way to see all the small restaurants, food carts, shops and attractions that make Portland so vibrant.
If you find yourself in our beautiful city again, I hope you will choose to stay with us. More room renovations and added amenities in the near future to make your stay more enjoyable.
Thank you for being our guest!
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Smallish room, average décor, but very comfortable bed. We didn't hear anyone else through the walls, and slept well. Professional staff- not overly friendly, but a smile with competent service. Breakfast was fine- after reading reviews I thought it would be hot eggs and bacon, but there were hardboiled eggs, along with yogurt, granola, bananas, and rolls, etc. I understand they also have complementary afternoon tea and a glass of wine in the evening, which we didn't take advantage of. Location is really good. We walked to a show, to dinner, etc.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your time in reviewing the Mark Spencer Hotel. We do have one of the best locations in the city, ideally located near the heart of downtown, the Pearl District and right in the center of the West End. I'm sure you found many tasty dining options along with tax free shopping!
We would love to have you join us next time for our evening wine reception. We pour local Oregon wines for tasting in the early evening and serve fresh baked cookies in our library during afternoon tea time.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. It was truly our pleasure!