“Great location, Friendly staff”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is about the 5th time I have stayed here in the last 20 years. I enjoy it every time. We had a junior suite so 2 separate rooms. I slept on the hide-a-bed, not exactly comfortable, but I like the privacy. Our room was on the 6th floor facing west so we had a lot of morning light and a building view. There was a kitchen, but no microwave, a coffee maker but no coffee. I unplugged the noisy refrigerator at night. Great location a block from Powell's and the Pearl District and a nice walk through downtown to the river.Had a good dinner at Andina. A very adequate breakfast, nice wine tasting and jazz in the evening. Easily available coffee and self serve espresso machine in the lobby area. Front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. I look forward to going back.

Room Tip: I asked for a room with lots of light, high up so we could see out the window.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ellen B
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

I'm so happy you were able to visit during the Portland Jazz Festival and enjoyed the live music in the lobby. Portland has many wonderful festivals throughout the year that I hope you'll return to attend some of your favorites!
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate each one as it allows us the opportunity to improve our service and to thank you once again for being our guest!
We look forward to seeing you again for your 6th stay at The Mark Spencer Hotel!

Pam

Write a ReviewReviews (1,766)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

While we enjoyed the somewhat quirky, historic ambience, we were disappointed. We had an Executive King room for one night. When we checked in we were told we had to pay $18 for valet parking, but there was no valet service available. We still had to still pay the $18, park and unload the car ourselves. No discount was offered and the receptionist was not helpful at all for first time Portland visitors. The bathroom was incredibly small with no shelf space. The bed was hard. Although nicely, centrally located, there was no view. The room was musty smelling. When I checked out and was asked about our stay, I said the room was musky smelling. I was told by the receptionist that they were renovating the rooms and I could have asked for a newly renovated room if they were available. She did not offer a discount. We had planned to leave our car in their parking lot and walk around the Pearl District. That was, in fact, why we booked this hotel - because it was within walking distance of the places we wanted to visit. But, we were told we had to have our car out of their lot by 1:00 PM. So, really, there was no point in staying there. With no view and no opportunity to leave our car there, we might as well have stayed at a nicer hotel further out. Again, the receptionist did not offer any advice on what do do with our car. The staff were not entirely rude, they just were not at all helpful. We left frustrated.

Room Tip: Apparently you need to ask for one of the recently remodeled rooms to avoid the musky smell. Be fore...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank CateredCrop

I would like to offer my apologies for any miscommunication you experienced while a guest in our hotel. While we do offer extrememly reasonable parking fees for downtown Portland, it is self-park with no valet. This does offer you the freedom to come and go as you please, but if this was not told to you at check-in, I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you.
We had hoped you would enjoy your corner suite as this particular room offers the best view of the city. While most of our downtown hotels have city views, it can be an enjoyable way to see the city as well as entertaining.
It is disappointing to me that we failed to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience. I would love the opportunity to earn your business again. I think you'll find the many improvements to our rooms and public spaces to your liking.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest!
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we do hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Love the quirky rooms, always unusual. Sometimes loud from the street, sometimes no view. Perfect location - across from Kenny and Jukes, a block from Powells, the Brewers Building, Whole Foods, and on the tram line.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your time in reviewing The Mark Spencer Hotel. With the many renovations that are taking place, I believe you will always be pleasantly surprised each time you return.
Our location is perfect for all the places you mentioned which are some of our favorites, too. Kenny and Zukes even had a feature on The Food Network!
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Portland. We look forward to having you as our guest once again!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The Mark Spencer Hotel is our #1 choice for our frequent visits to Portland. This hotel reflects the true nature of the city - friendly, warm, and inviting. The hotel is undergoing extensive renovations at this time but it does not interfere with our enjoyment during our stay. The new rooms are beautiful, contemporary and spacious. The complimentary breakfast meets our needs perfectly, since we do not want an expensive, full-service, heavy meal in the morning...just a grab, eat and go operation. The coffee/tea service is available all day and night and is almost as good as the coffee shop down the road, and it's all free. We love the afternoon tea service too, but try to limit ourselves to one cookie...good luck with that. This time, we availed ourselves of the complimentary pre-dinner wine service and got to meet the general manager, Pam, who was extraordinarily nice, a true reflection of the hotel and the people we've met...the reason we keep coming back. This hotel is perfectly situated for those who wish to use public transportation, like we do, although they do have a garage here. We stopped renting a car years ago, except for maybe a day trip to Mt. Hood or the beach. This hotel is located on the border between Downtown and the Pearl District so we can easily walk almost everywhere and occasionally take the streetcar right back to the hotel. We decided to move to Portland because of the warm, friendly, welcoming people and the ease of getting around town. We have always stayed at the Mark Spencer and now we will recommend this hotel to our family and friends who come to visit us.

Room Tip: The old rooms are outdated but comfortable, however the renovated rooms are awesome!
1  Thank Michael A

Thank you so much for your kind review. We always love to hear how much our guests enjoy visiting Portland. Everything you mentioned is why we love it too! Many of our guests have decided that Portland is where they want to be with award winning restaurants, museums, festivals, brewpubs, theatre and tax-free shopping! Not many of our guests rent a car when visiting Portland as they find getting around the city easy and extremely walkable.
It was so nice visiting with you both. I look forward to seeing you again when Portland becomes your home. Please be sure to stop by the hotel to say "hello".

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We have visited the Mark Spencer four times and enjoyed each stay. The first time we stayed in a basic queen room. The subsequent visits we stayed in a queen junior suite. Love the extra space and small kitchenette. The rooms are clean and the Wi-Fi works well in the rooms. The staff are gracious and attentive. We enjoy the breakfast room with a continental breakfast. They have a splendid afternoon cookie time and wine tasting. The location is ideal. It is an easy walk to downtown as well as the Pearl District. It is also an easy walk from the train station. Overall the Mark Spencer is a welcoming place to stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor in a corner suite or junior suite.
2  Thank Richard H
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

I would like to thank you for being our guest and for returning to the Mark Spencer Hotel. It's always a pleasure when our guests choose to stay with us again! I would personally like to welcome you back for your 5th visit!
There will be many improvements in the months ahead and we can't wait to show them to you the next time you're in Portland.
Our heartfelt thanks for your continued endorsement of the Mark Spencer Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed four nights at the Mark Spencer. I stay in hotels every week for my job so we never stay at a chain when on vacation. I loved the comfortable vibe of this place. They know what the important things are. Nice and helpful staff, very comfortable beds, soft and white sheets and towels, heating system which works well and is quiet, secure parking, good coffee, spotlessly clean rooms, real dishes and silverware, simple but good continental breakfast. There is construction going on but you do not hear it, only see the workers now and then. Do not get that same consideration at other hotels. Nice perks are afternoon coffee and cookies and evening wine sampling. Our room (King executive suite) was roomy, pleasant, and comfortable. The location around the hotel is great, walk around and you will find everything. We were visiting family in the suburbs so did not spend alot of time in town or the hotel but I would love to come back and have a little more city time. Highly recommend.

1  Thank seobr

Thank you for your time in reviewing the Mark Spencer Hotel. I'm happy to hear your stay with us was comfortable and relaxing. You mentioned many of the features our guests love about the hotel - luxurious bedding, comfortable guestrooms and the 24/7 espresso machine. I think our evening wine reception is one of our favorites as it allows us to chat with our guests while featuring some of Oregon's finest wines.
Thank you for choosing the Mark Spencer Hotel. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

First objective... be as close to the Armory and Gerding Theater... and Powell's Bookstore as possible. You can't get any closer than at the Mark Spencer. I was greeted with a smile and a sense of eagerness to assist me. Very quick check in and right up to my refurbished room. I had requested a room with lots of natural light... which means big windows! I got that with a pleasant view over Stark Ave. The continental breakfast was adequate but there are a number of good restaurants nearby. I traveled to Portland to attend Foodworx Conference at the Armory. This meant I would be looking for some great dining experiences as well. Two of Portland's best, The Gruner, and Taste on Alder are just behind the hotel and my favorite restaurant in PDX Andina is an appetit building 15 minutes away. I was able to walk to every place I wanted to visit including several food truck locations only a two block walk away. Public transportation is directly in front of the hotel as well.

There are still some rooms under reconstruction and refurbishing but this did not create any noise or dust on the floor I was on. Another guest also commented there was still some construction going on on her floor but was not an issue.

All-in-all, the perfect location in Portland and a friendly, very well priced hotel. I will stay there again next year for the Foodworx Conference.

Room Tip: Request upper floors and some corner rooms have extra windows.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Earthpilgrim

Thank you for your review! We do have a great downtown location close to many of Portland's "must see" attractions. With Powell's Bookstore only one block away, you really can't get any closer! Portland's public transit system is one of the best, but with our short city blocks, you'll find yourself walking everywhere. I'm happy to hear you found a few of your own favorite places.
Thank you, too, for your compliments to my staff. They are some of the best service professionals around and I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to them.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!