“Perfect location in Portland”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 12, 2014

First objective... be as close to the Armory and Gerding Theater... and Powell's Bookstore as possible. You can't get any closer than at the Mark Spencer. I was greeted with a smile and a sense of eagerness to assist me. Very quick check in and right up to my refurbished room. I had requested a room with lots of natural light... which means big windows! I got that with a pleasant view over Stark Ave. The continental breakfast was adequate but there are a number of good restaurants nearby. I traveled to Portland to attend Foodworx Conference at the Armory. This meant I would be looking for some great dining experiences as well. Two of Portland's best, The Gruner, and Taste on Alder are just behind the hotel and my favorite restaurant in PDX Andina is an appetit building 15 minutes away. I was able to walk to every place I wanted to visit including several food truck locations only a two block walk away. Public transportation is directly in front of the hotel as well.

There are still some rooms under reconstruction and refurbishing but this did not create any noise or dust on the floor I was on. Another guest also commented there was still some construction going on on her floor but was not an issue.

All-in-all, the perfect location in Portland and a friendly, very well priced hotel. I will stay there again next year for the Foodworx Conference.

Room Tip: Request upper floors and some corner rooms have extra windows.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Earthpilgrim
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for your review! We do have a great downtown location close to many of Portland's "must see" attractions. With Powell's Bookstore only one block away, you really can't get any closer! Portland's public transit system is one of the best, but with our short city blocks, you'll find yourself walking everywhere. I'm happy to hear you found a few of your own favorite places.
Thank you, too, for your compliments to my staff. They are some of the best service professionals around and I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to them.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!

There are newer reviews for Mark Spencer Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is an amazing location (Pearl District of Portland) and the staff was extremely courteous and went out of their way to make me feel welcome. They have a "tea time" where wine, cheese, crackers, and cookies are served in the lobby. However, the coffee/tea station is always open. I stayed in a newly remodeled room and it the decor was classy, minimal, and clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Rachel G

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Mark Spencer Hotel. It's nice to read a review mentioning our remodeled rooms. We are very excited about the renovations and are always happy to hear our guests like them as well. The decor was carefully chosen with your comfort in mind. - large flat screen TV's, no-fog backlit bathroom mirrors with beautiful tile and vanities, upscale bedding, added insulation between guestrooms and stainless steel kitchens.
Thank you, too, for your kind words regarding our staff. I will be sure to pass along your comments to them!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

The room on the 5th floor with kitchenette and large TV with cable was extremely comfortable. Standard inclusions: stove, fridge, toaster, pots, dishes and utensils, ironing board, iron, hair dryer, personal care items, etc. The large room with queen-size bed, armchair and table with two chairs included solid WIFI as well. Breakfast buffet had a nice assortment but never changed. Great coffee machine near the lobby available all day, with tea/hot coca and cookies set around around 3:00 p.m. There was also complimentary wine tasting w/cheese and crackers for an hour at 5:00 p.m. Exercise room small but had quality machines. Basically, it felt like home away from home.

Room Tip: If arriving via Portland International Airport, to get to within two blocks of the Mark Spencer Hote...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank L P

Thank you for your kind review. It's always nice when we've made our guests feel at home. I'm happy you were able to join us for our evening wine reception. We feature local Oregon and Washington wines which are some of the best in the country. Our guests love to gather around and sample the wine while making new friends.
If you find yourself in Portland again, we would love to "Welcome you home!"
Thank you for choosing to stay with us - it was truly our pleasure.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed with them for one week and my overall experience was disappointing. To begin I was given a room that overlooked the covered breakfast area, meaning my view was of other windows and walls. The room was very dark and musty. I will give them credit for eventually changing my room when I requested it. The next room was the same layout but much brighter with a view of the mountains in the distance so I was very pleased with that. However, this room again smelled very musty - I do understand that it is a very old hotel and they are working on new renovations. Also the elevators, are very concerning, they make a lot of noise and almost bounce when they stop. One was even out of order for the evening while I was there, so I made use of the stairs during my stay. Although the rooms were old and outdated, they were still clean and the beds were very comfortable. In fact, that was probably the best part of my stay, great beds! It cost $4 to wash and dry one load of laundry which I found to be a bit ridiculous. The breakfast was good, your average continental breakfast. The staff was helpful when I asked but I never fully felt welcome from any of them. Overall, it just didn't meet my expectations nor did I feel comfortable in the hotel as a whole. Would I stay there again or recommend it? No probably not, I feel that there are better options out there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephanie P
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns with us. I would like to apologize if you felt your stay with us fell short of your expectations. We always strive to provide the type of service you'll want to return to. If we failed, I welcome a conversation with you to see where we fell short so we can provide additional training.
I was excited to read your comment regarding our beds! We do have extremely cozy beds with plush pillow-top mattresses and luxurious linens. Our beds always get rave reviews and we're delighted you found them confortable.
As renovations continue, more rooms are opening with our new designer look. I invite you to come by the next time you find yourself in Portland so I can personally give you a tour. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I always stay at the Mark Spencer when in Portland-the location is terrific and the staff is super helpful and friendly. The hotel is undergoing significant upgrades and keeps getting better-the rooms are large and generally quiet, the breakfast room is peaceful, and the free wifi works well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine D
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

It's so nice to hear what our guests think of our hotel renovations....and equally as nice to have you with us again! As we continue with hotel improvements, I hope you'll let us know how we're doing. I would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back in person the next time you're in Portland.
Thank you for the kind review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I had a room with a single queen, which was very small but fine for one person spending little time in the room. The price is good but it's not the best location in my opinion. Parking is extra. The best thing about this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your review and for allowing us to be your host. We have an excellent guest service staff and I'm happy you felt the same. I will pass along your kind comments to them as they always enjoy hearing from our guests.
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

What can I say? I love the helpful staff and enjoy the amenities, like the food (cookies, lattes, fruit, wine and cheese) in the lobby, free wi-fi, nice soap in the rooms, free newspapers, continental breakfast, and workout room. The rooms are always clean and provide a lot of space with couches and kitchenettes. Then, the hotel is well-located with fabulous dining and shopping nearby. Great value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SenoritaViaje
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

I loved your review! Thank you for mentioning all of the amenities that make The Mark Spencer such a wonderful place to stay. We get many comments on our afternnoon tea and fresh baked cookies, evening wine and cheese reception, NY Times delivered to your door, and the continental breakfast - all complimentary to our guests!
I'm so happy you were able to visit our new fitness facility with state-of-the-art Precor equipment.
I would like to personally thank you for returning to stay with us once again. It was a pleasure to have you back!