“Fantastic”

Ranked #10 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver,B.C Canada
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

You could not find a more friendly place, staff was more than willing to go the extra mile . 3 friends and myself spent 4 nights there and were treated like royalty. convenient location to transit system and all places we wanted to go. Good selection for breakfast, loved the afternoon cookies and wine tasting, great way to end a day. We are already planning Portland for next fall and have decided we want the Mark Spencer once again and know we won't be dissapointed All 4 of us commented on the quality of bedding, the bedding was fantastic.

Room Tip: For the 4 of us we liked the junior suite, it had a separate sitting room plus small kitchenette to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mymommy2013
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm happy to hear that your 4 days at The Mark Spencer Hotel were enjoyable, especially spending it with friends!
Thank you for joining us for afternoon cookies and tea/wine. The smell of fresh baked cookies brings everyone down to the lobby. Our afternoon and early evening receptions are always a big hit as it allows us to spend more time with our guests - one of our favorite things to do.
We will be happy to welcome you back next fall and look forward to your return.

Thank you for allowing us to be your host.

Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Korean first
Mt. Shasta, CA
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I know Portland. I lived there for 27 years in Northwest. Saw 21st. and 23rd avenues change. Smelled the Weinhard's brewery walking to work (it was unavoidable; you could smell it for blocks). Ate at Roxy Heart's Café across the street from the Spencer.

A lot has happened; mostly in the past seven years, it seems. One of the best is seeing an old building being re-imagined as what it was intended: a fine, downtown hotel. Their amenities; from the afternoon wine tasting, quiet work spaces, and comfortable ambience are reinforced with some of the most pleasant staff I have truly had the pleasure to meet in years of travel. The night host, Bryan, was gracious and quite helpful for my wife and I when we arrived late in the evening. Although our stay was a brief four days, the quiet professionalism of every one we encountered was refreshing.

Avail yourself of the parking on site. It's very reasonable and while it is secure, larger vehicles or those without a tight turn radius will be challenged as it is underground. No worse than many others in a city but take bicycles off of roof racks. You have been warned.
The renovations are ongoing and while I am able to sleep through most city sounds, there were construction associated noises that would bother many. However! Their work begins at seven AM and they are done early in the afternoon. If they were able to do it later, I am certain management would require that but if you're able to, request a room on the higher floors.
If you are a book lover you are screwed. This lovely hotel is within staggering distance of Powell's Books.

My wife and I offer the greatest thanks to all of the staff for their dedication and courtesies! Thank you for making a homecoming so wonderful!
David and Lael

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors above those being renovated. Try to get something on the inner courtyard unless...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EmmasDad67
Welcome back to Portland! I wish I could have met with you personally to talk about the neighborhood and all the wonderful changes taking place. As you mentioned, Roxy's is still around the corner, as is Jake's and Powell's Bookstore. You're right in stating that Powell's is only a staggering distance from the hotel - just a block away!
It's always nice when you return to an old neighborhood to see improvements being made as well as being reaquainted with old friends!
Thank you for your kind words regarding my staff. They are true service professionals and I will be certain to pass along your comments to them.
It sounds as if your Portland homecoming was very special for you and I thank you for allowing us to be part of it.
We hope to see you again soon. It was our pleasure to welcome you back to Portland!

Homer, Alaska
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The Mark Spencer was clean and at a location perfect for my needs. The locked below grade parking area was just what I needed and the price for parking was very competitive. I enjoyed my stay and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask about the suites in the attached building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
So happy we could welcome you all the way from Alaska! I hope you found many of the things that make Portland a favorite to travelers - tax-free shopping, superb dining, festivals, museums and the food carts!
If you missed any of these on this trip, I hope you'll have a chance to return and allow us to be your host once again.
It was our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

This beautifully converted hotel is comfortable, central to downtown and Pearl District, and full of nice touches for guests. They provide a continental breakfast, as well as tea/coffee hour in the afternoon, and wine tastings in the early evening. Although I wasn't around for the afternoon offerings, these are nice ways to welcome the clients. The room had a kitchen area with a retro range/oven and refrigerator for those staying longer and wishing to cook. There was a nice walk-in closet which provided luggage space and storage. The desk staff were friendly and helpful, and I even had a staff knock on my door one afternoon to ensure I was satisfied. And the location is great for waking around or taking transit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for reviewing The Mark Spencer Hotel and for your kind words regarding our staff.

They are dedicated to providing professional, courteous service to our guests and look forward to making your stay one of the most enjoyable you have experienced.

I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Portland.

Thank you for being a guest of The Mark Spencer Hotel.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

All good. Combo coffee machine always available in lobby nook. Fruit, pastry, boiled eggs. Room was fine, quiet. Currently renoing 3rd floor so you might want to ask for that soon. Underground parking well worth the 18 or so bucks. Bed lovely. A fine stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank r4ck
Thank you for your review - we love the coffee machine, too! It makes a tasty cup of any one of your favorites - lattes, cappuccinos, mochas, etc., all with beans from a local Portland roaster. So happy you were able to try it during your stay.

When you mentioned the beds, I think back on all the comments regarding the comfort of our beds. We've added a wonderful new bedding package for our guestrooms - super comfortable pillowtop mattress with luxuriously soft sheets. It's truly something to look forward to after a long day out and about in Portland.

Thank you for being our guest. It was our pleasure to be your host!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 8, 2013

After reading some of the reviews I was concerned to stay in this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when we booked a room last minute. Clean, newly renovated. The comlementary wine was nice. We met couples from Vancouver and Denver. It is within walking distance to everything downtown.
I would stay here again,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We would love to welcome you back to The Mark Spencer Hotel!

Thank you for joining us for our evening wine reception. I hope you enjoyed our select Oregon wines as it's a wonderful way for our guests to sample these tasty varietals.

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope we have the opportunity to be your hosts in the future.

Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great boutique hotel the location is amazing for those who love to explore Portland by foot or bike. It is close to the Crystal Ballroom where we saw Iron and Wine BTW great venue . One block away from Powell books, close to Whole foods, food trucks on Alder street, the two restaurants we wanted to go to were in walking distance Andina and the Gilt Club. How much more can I say or maybe too much now that the cat is out of the bag! We're going back next spring. We were in room 414 (the corner room) light and airy and clean. There is only one setback while I was in the shower my husband wanted to visit the bike shop across the street. I got a call from him and I asked him where he was and he was taking a bike for a test ride along the Willamette River. We returned home with a new bike for hubby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
So you managed to visit all your favorite spots and buy a new bike? When your hotel guestroom overlooks West End Bikes, I imagine it would be pretty hard not to at least take a new bike out for a test run. I hope your husband is enjoying his new bike!

I'm glad you mentioned the food carts - they will forever be a Portland favorite! With so many choices, you can visit other countries and never leave the city. We, too, love Powell's Bookstore. We're very fortunate to have them only one block from the hotel. A true Portland treasure!

We look forward to seeing you again in the spring. Let us know what you think of the renovations.