“Great hotel and great location”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 4, 2013

In the heart of the pearl district. Great staff and location. Within walking distance of everything. Decently priced parking across the street. The room was spacious and had a mini kitchen with dishes and utensils. Exercise room had everything you could need for a workout. Great find and will def stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

That was such a nice review! It seems that you were able to enjoy the city while walking about - just as the locals do. With so many museums, festivals, restaurants and shopping, it's hard to choose your favorite.
I'm happy our fitness facility met your workout needs. We installed new state-of-the-art exercise equipment when we opened the facility last year and have had very positive responses from our guests.
Thank you for staying with us. It was truly our pleasure!

All the best,

There are newer reviews for Mark Spencer Hotel

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I've never been to New York but I assume this is the kind of space they live in there.

We chose the hotel based on location and it was a good pick for that.

The hotel room had the smallest kitchen I've ever seen, but had a GIANT closet. Didn't make sense in my opinion. The bathroom was also very cramped, but overall it was okay.

One random thing is that the parking garage had a swipe card system to get in (that's not a problem) but you had to get out of the car to swipe your card, there was no other way.

We'd probably stay there again, but only because of its location.

1  Thank Rachel J

Thank you for your recent review. You mentioned one area that everyone seems to agree on - our location! We are within walking distance of so many wonderful attractions that make Portland one of the best cities to visit on foot - Powell's Bookstore, Jakes, Cheryl's on 12th, Ruby Jewel's Ice Cream and Kenny & Zukes are all within one block. Our award winning restaurants, museums, theatre and tax-free shopping all add up to make it a vacation paradise.
We hope you will return to The Mark Spencer Hotel on your next visit to see all the beautiful renovations that are taking place. I'd love to show you around!
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

All the best,

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Mark Spencer is well located, but rooms are rather expensive (like most Portland hotels). We were given a room on the ground floor, where people walked by on the street right in front of our window. Below our room was some sort of conference hall, which was quite noisy in the morning. Breakfast is included but it is very poor, you sit in a crowded corner of the lobby at tiny tables and have to serve yourself from a pretty lousy buffet. One good thing to say is that they have a wine reception in late afternoon, and you get tea, coffee and biscuits in the afternoon (also in the lobby). The rooms come with a kitchenette, which we didn't use. Parking is, as in all Portland hotels, not included and quite expensive. The hotel might be fine, if you are more lucky with the room you get.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for allowing us to be your host while visiting Portland. You have certainly traveled a long way and we appreciate you choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel. All of the topics you mentioned in your review are being addressed as we move forward with the hotel renovations.
We have a fairly extensive breakfast selection to which I would be happy to hear any suggestions you might have for ways we can improve what we currently offer. I love to hear from our guests as this allows us to enhance our service to you.
I hope you're having a pleasant stay in the States and hope you will return to see the improvements that are taking place.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The staff at the Mark Spencer was great! I was a little disheveled when I arrived and discovered there was no one out front to help me with my heavy bags (btw, if I had just called in, I'm sure they would have sent someone out right away!), so I had to drag them to the elevator and across the lobby. As I was checking in, I mentioned I need help with my bag, one of the staff (gentleman with gray hair and glasses), grabbed the heaviest one and said, "no problem!" and took it right to my room before anyone could get a cart. When I tried to tip him, he said, "keep your money!"... He gave me a few tips for dinner and breakfast (which I used, Tasty and Alder has amazing food!).

Every time I walked by the front desk, I observed someone being extra helpful and friendly! (even when the guests were being annoying! LOL!).

My room was very comfortable, and extra clean! which I really appreciate. The cabinets look a little scratched up, but it sounds like this is something that is being updated as I write this.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank c o
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Wow! Thank you for your kind words to my staff. The gentleman you referred to is John, one of our remarkable front desk employees, and I will be happy to pass along your comments to him. Each member of our staff has their favorite Portland places and are happy to share them with our guests. I'm happy to hear you found "Tasty & Alder" a real treat!
We hope you will return to visit us again on your next trip to Portland. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Check in was fine though someone next to me was checking prices. They quoted her $60 less for the same room. When I mentioned it, they ushered me out quickly. The room was fine... An old fridge, stove, and sink were in the corner which was kind of weird. Overall, very clean and quiet. The extras are plentiful. I was left a bottle of wine for my birthday, there was wine, cheese, crackers, cookies in the evening, and a decent continental breakfast. The parking garage was tiny, but free. Check out was super busy so they needed more than two staff. Overall, I'd give it a solid 4 (of 5).

1  Thank familyfunMBSM

I would like to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday!" I hope you enjoyed your time in Portland and was able to find the perfect location for your birthday dinner! With so many delicious restaurants, it's hard to choose.
With regard to your room rate, I can only assume the lower rate you overheard quoted at check in to another guest was the difference between your room type and theirs.
I hope you are having a very special vacation and we thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here one night on a family road trip. Arrived about 2 pm and were able to check in early. Unfortunately, we were told the hotel garage was already full and were directed to a crowded lot around the corner from the hotel. The room was bright and sunny with 2 queens and a fold out sofa bed in a separate room. There was an apartment size fridge with a sink and small stove as well. The beds & pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was old & outdated - no fan, very little counter space, very little water pressure in the shower & water that changed every few minutes from ice cold to hot. Breakfast was included and consisted of breads, hard boiled eggs, cereals and fruit. Good location for exploring the old town area - walking distance to china town, voodoo donuts, etc. Overall a good stay but the bathroom could definitely be improved upon. Also would have been happier if we could have parked in a secure lot as expected.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review and for allowing us to be your host on your family road trip. We love to see entire families traveling together and Portland is a wonderful city to explore. It sounds as if Voodoo Doughnuts made it on your"Portland's Must See" list! On any given day, we'll see 3 to 4 pink doughnut boxes being carried around the hotel lobby!
We will be undergoing more renovations this fall with complete remodel of our guestrooms, including new furnishings, kitchens, carpeting, bedding and bathrooms. I hope you will return to see the improvements!

Have a wonderful summer!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The staff was very helpful in setting the room up to meet our needs. We were traveling with a young child. We needed a microwave for heating bottles and we had a crib and other amenities delivered to the room. The staff had everything in the room for us when we arrived. They were also very friendly and helpful in helping us get around in an unknown city. If we are ever in Portland again, I would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We love having families at the hotel as the children always make for interesting conversation. As with your little one, we can always accommodate babies with a crib, microwave or anything they require. Our Front Desk staff is happy to handle any neccessities, as well. We also have a Treasure Chest for older children which allows them to choose a welcome amenity for themselves!
We hope to see you again and would be very happy to welcome you back to The Mark Spencer Hotel.
Enjoy your summer!