“Not a hotel I would normally give 5 starts to..but...:)”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 143 Hotels in Portland
acsc
“Not a hotel I would normally give 5 starts to..but...:)”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The staff here are so incredibly kind, courteous and truly understand customer service - I am giving this hotel 5 stars just for the staff alone. For some reason the few days that I needed to stay in Portland it was impossible to get a room for the 3 nights I needed unless I wanted to move from one hotel to another just to get a good rate, which was NOT going to happen. So I reluctantly plunked down 309.00 a night for their King Bed suite. Nothing fancy, but I wasn't aware that their suites are more akin to the self serve type than the "serve me " type. Once I got over that I was fine. BUT they make up for that in great regularly priced rooms plus free breakfast, great free wifi, a civilized tea hour and an even more civilized wine and cheese hour, all free! they are renovating but it's in a great location, and like I said the rooms are nothing fancy (but the bed is fantastically comfortable!), the perks are great, it's in a great location and the staff are just all wonderful. Sincerity and kindness and knowing customer service goes a long way in my book!

Room Tip: get what you need. If you are family and want to save some money then the suites are a good value.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding the service you received at The Mark Spencer Hotel. We love taking care of our guests and I have to admit to having some of the most service minded employees in the industry. I will be certain to pass along your comments to them.

I'm happy you enjoyed the complimetary amenities we offer on a daily basis. Our wine hour always proves to be a gathering place for guests to mingle while sampling our delicious Oregon wines. The smell of fresh baked cookies at tea time also seems to bring guests in to sit and enjoy a cup of tea.

If you find yourself in Portland again, I hope you will allow us to be your host and show you what's new after renovations.

I would personally like to thank you for being our guest - it was truly our pleasure!

Pam Coser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed June 25, 2013

first this was a family reunion and we booked three rooms (a junior double queen suite, two kings) . I had originally booked the junior double queen suite but it had to be changed to a queen suite and a standard queen (because of renovations according to the desk person). the pull out sofa was not that comfortable. The rooms were spacious.
The bathroom was a little cramped (not any counter space - narrow)
The closet was good sized
the kitchen lacked a microwave which given the central location and multitude of restaurants made the left overs hard to heat up
The continental breakfast was plentiful in options. The espresso machine had a constant line-up and was super slow in producing coffee drinks. but the regular coffee was fine
The tea time and wine tasting were a nice addition but being there for 6 days the offerings were the same each day--cookies and pizza and cheese and crackers

The not changing the towels (for ecological reasons) seemed a bit spotty (even though towels hung up some got changed anyway)

so what is excellent--the pillow top beds--very comfortable, rooms quiet, hotel centrally located to downtown, , cleanliness, air-conditioning worked well, and price for the value

Room Tip: the inside courtyard seemed quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for being our guest and for sharing your concerns with us.

Within the next two years we will be doing extensive renovations to the hotel. This will include complete guest room remodeling with upgrades - including new sofa beds! The bathrooms will have more shelving, counter space and enhanced lighting.

You're right - our espresso machine is quite popular and therefore we have many guests gathering around for a good cup of morning coffee or a latte.

I'm glad you were able to experience our complimentary wine reception. We do serve local Oregon wines and try to bring a new varietal out each evening for our guests to sample. It's a great place to mingle and meet other travelers.

I hope on your next visit to Portland, you will return to see what's new. Thank you for choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel - it was a pleasure to have you as our guest!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Thank goodness the sun was shining and we were out of the hotel exploring Portland during most of our stay. The room was cramped, the furniture is falling apart, the carpet felt oily, the sink drain emitted a foul odor and the bathroom was teeny tiny. We would never stay here again. Only redeeming quailities were the location, the doorman and surprisingly the beds were comfy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alchandler
I would like to thank you for your review. So happy to hear you loved our bedding!

The hotel is undergoing renovations and, unfortunately, the room you were assigned to has not been remodeled as yet. We have nearly completed work on half of the hotel corridors, adding new guestroom doors, artwork and carpeting. Also included in our renovation process is the complete remodel of our guestrooms, including new furnishings, kitchens, carpeting, bedding and bathrooms. In addition, we will be adding more insulation and sound proofing.

I hope if you return to Portland, you will stop in to see the beautiful remodeled rooms - and the bedding you loved (which is new) will still be here!

Thank you for being our guest - it was truly our pleasure!

Sedro Woolley, Washington
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My stay at the Mark Spencer was nothing special. I had high hopes of having a great experience, but was rather disappointed in the cramped room (510). The employee's were hit and miss with the hospitality. The morning breakfast was very nice and the 24/7 access to specialty coffee was great.

Room Tip: Room in that end in 10 have an odd floor plan (rooms 410, 510 etc)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Mark Spencer Hotel. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. Our 24/7 coffee/latte machine is always a big hit with our guests as it pours a delicious cup of coffee and features one of our own Portland coffee roasters.

Our hotel is located in a beautiful, historic building built as a hotel in 1907. With that said, we are in the process of renovating the hotel to make better use of our guestroom space. The guestrooms will have a complete makeover, including new furnishings, carpeting, bedding and bathrooms. Some of the rooms will also have added living space.

I hope that if your travels bring you back to Portland, you will again be our guest. I would love your feedback on our renovations!

Thank you for being our guest!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Mark Spencer and for the most part, this hotel is idyllic....price includes continental breakfast (good variety...including oatmeal, breads, muffins etc) and an afternoon wine gathering with free wine. The location is perfect for what tourists like to do in Portland...shop at Powell Books and downtown, stroll the Pearl District and 23d St.
The only down side was the bed....it was way too soft. If they updated the beds, this hotel would have received a 5 star from us.

Room Tip: Room 308, at least did not have a great bed....way too soft.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
It was nice to read your review on some of our complimentary amenities. I have to admit that our evening wine reception is quite popular as it affords our guests the opportunity to sample Oregon wines while chatting with other travelers.

Along with our room renovations, we have recently added new, upgaded pillow top mattresses and bedding in our guestrooms. Mattress comfort is a very personal choice and I wish our new mattresses would have been more to your liking.

If you ever find yourself visiting our beautiful city again, I hope you will try The Mark Spencer Hotel again. I'm certain we have a mattress you'll find comfortable.

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest!

Boise Idaho
Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you are looking for a standard place near the Pearl you really can't overlook the MS. It's not the hipster Ace or the slick Sorrento but frankly if location doesn't beat all, price is darn close. The staff is courteous and professional.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the mark spencer hotel in portland oregon. The staff was friendly. There was a complementary happy hour with wonderful wine. 24 hour a day coffee/latte machine and a pleasing complementary breakfast from 6-10 am. The hotel is over 100 years old with character. My room was spotless. I will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends