“Nice stay in Portland”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had a nice 3 nights in this hotel last month. Hadn't stayed in Portland for 36 years, always driven through and wanted to spend some time on the Columbia Gorge and in and around the city. Chose the Mark Spencer after reading reviews and found it to be as reported. Staff extremely polite, friendly and helpful. Quite a busy place and clearly repeat business. Breakfast was the usual fare, cereal, juice, yogurt, fruit, muffins etc. They had a special coffee machine - not something we would use particularly but great for those wanting other than plain coffee. The room was clean and comfortable. We weren't keen on the tight underground parking I have to say. Of course any downtown location will have parking problems. Overall a very pleasant visit in a centrally located hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeri R, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Hello friends from Vancouver,

Thanks so much for sending in this review to TripAdvisor and for staying with us. So glad to know we met your expectations. The staff here is exceptional and they take pride in its spotless condition. I share all comments with them and they appreciate hearing first-hand from our guests.
Our location is prime for anyone who wants to explore downtown or the Pearl District. It's also a stone's throw to access across the river if you're going to the other side of Portland.

You're right about parking here - it can be a challenge anywhere. Our spots in the ground are a little tight but we also have an open lot across the street. Feel free to ask about that next time you're here. The price is the same regardless - and is currently running $18 unless you're a hybrid and then it's only $9.

Hope you'll come back soon. Please let me know if there's anything we can do for you and thanks again for choosing to stay with us! Jeri

There are newer reviews for Mark Spencer Hotel

Reviewed April 6, 2013

In the Pearl; booked a king suite for a couple of days; perfect room & perfect location. Powell's is a block way, shopping, coffee places and lots of places to eat within blocks. Try Sizzle Pie for a late, inexpensive pizza.

Wifi was pretty fast, fee parking under the building - come and go as you please, no valet. breakfast was ok (coffee leaves a lot to be desired): fruit, yogurt, cereal, breads, hard boiled eggs..perfectly adequate. Missed the cocktail hour and cookies...too busy enjoying the city.

No hesitation recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: A little noisy, but I loved my corner room...two large windows.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Hello GK Metal,

Thanks so much for posting a review about your stay with TripAdvisor and for the 5-star rating! Our location is perfect for those who want to explore Portland's best known 'playground': the Pearl District, and of course, Powell's Books.

Since you mentioned late night Pizza, just wanted to let you know that we bake fresh, local pizza here at the hotel and we'll deliver it to your room, in case that's an option you'd be interested in with your next stay. We're soon introducing Room Service which will be delivered by our new restaurant neighbor: Cheryl's on 12th. Sorry you didn't enjoy the coffee - that's unusual for us to hear, as our gourmet coffee maker is available 24/7 in the lobby and offers a variety from espresso to mocha to strong, decaf and much more; maybe you missed it.

Our parking is a value at $18 a day or $9 if you're a hybrid.

Thanks again for staying with us; come back soon! Jeri

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My first visit to Portland and I didn't want a traditional impersonal high rise. What a great choice in the Mark Spencer. Perfect location to walk everywhere and perfect accomodations. Comfortable queen, fridge and stove, very clean, quiet and wine and cookies in the afternoon. What else is there? Breakfast was great too. Not like there aren't dozens to place to eat nearby. Highly recommend the Spencer, we're going back this year.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Beau85

Hi Beau,

Thanks so much for sending in this review and for the 5-star rating! You did a great job summarizing for me why people should stay here....location, value, clean and those are the reasons we have so many return guests. Add to your list that our staff is exceptional - why would anyone stay anyplace else!

Looking forward to meeting you on your next visit and toasting your stay with a glass or two or three of our fabulous regional wine! Hope to see you soon.....Jeri

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had such a wonderful stay at this hotel. We were very fortunate to have a newly renovated room, it made all the difference to us. The location was perfection itself as we walked to the shops, dinner and the market. Many thanks for having "Happy Hour" and introducing local wines, what a fantastic way to relax, mingle, and bond with staff and guests, before getting ready for dinner! I cannot say enough about Happy Hour, it made our stay super special. We also appreciated the convenience of breakfast and loved having the coffee available throughout the day. We stayed 4 nights and it wasn't enough. We plan to come back when all the rooms are renovated, this will be our Portland hotel, please don't take the breakfast, coffee/cookies, or Happy Hour away! Thank you all so much for a truly special stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeri R, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Good evening friends from the northern border,

Not sure what time (or what day) this will transmit to the public, but its 8:30pm Saturday evening right now and I'm enjoying a wonderful after dinner port with friends. They decided to look us up on TripAdvisor for a little trivia talk about the hotel and the newest review that popped was yours. They think it's a bit amusing that I reply to all of the reviews, but we take your comments seriously and I want to thank you for taking time to share your opinion about the hotel.

We're all about 'value'; your opinion is of interest and it’s important. I share all comments with the employees, as it's rewarding for them to hear first-hand how you think we're doing. We are embarking on a major renovation that will seriously kick off this fall. After that, we will look a little different, our delivery to you won't change (well ok...it can always get better...). Our breakfast will continue, while we're in the process of brightening it up; our 24-hour gourmet coffee won't change; the cookies that our staff bakes daily won't change; the small bites that come along with our wonderful regional wines won't change and for goodness sake, our parking will continue to be a value. It's running $18 now (and only $9 for hybrids). And coming very soon you’ll be able to order Room Service which is being offered by our new restaurant neighbor around the corner: Cheryl's on 12th. I think you’ll be pleased with the menu.

So, thank you for saying you won't consider staying anyplace else. And do feel free to contact me personally if there's anything we can do for you here in Portland. I hope you have a wonderful summer in beautiful Vancouver, but please come back soon! Jeri

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great little hotel in the Pearl District!
The room was neat and clean when we arrived. The building and rooms are old, but are being renovated currently. We were never bothered with the renovations, and the age of the building did not bother us as the building was very clean.
The breakfast, coffee/mocha machine and afternoon wine and cheese were very nice touches and very appreciated.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
Nothing poor to say, it was a great experience!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeri R, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hi friends from the north,

Thanks so much for sending in this review about your stay. We're so glad you chose to stay with us and even better, that you found our location and value appealing. Our best feature is being old (..you don't hear that one often!), but it's true. We're a historical buildling; we're steps away from Portland's best playground (Pearl District) and you won't find another hotel quite like us.

We are truly fortunate to be in the company of exceptional employees who sincerely care about our guests and who keep our hotel spotless. The result is an experience best put by your own words..."a great experience".

I hope you're able to visit again and if so, please look me up as I'd love to toast your stay with a glass or two of our regional wine.

Have a great summer in beautiful Canada and thanks again for staying with us. Jeri

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were looking for a Hotel central to Downtown & the Pearl District during Easter weekend that had parking without the need to use a valet and decided to book online after reading mostly positive reviews. We arrived in Portland quite early and thought we would just check out the Hotel to know where we were going, when we returned to check in. We were immediately greeted by Logan and very unexpectedly, allowed to check in even thought it was not even noon. It was the start of a very wonderful weekend.
The entire staff has to be thanked for their assistance in recommending bars and restaurants and genuinely making us feel welome.
The location was absolutely perfect; the hotel also included breakfast which was more than we expected and then we found out there was happy hour wine and appetizers and those were truly the icing on the cake. It was a great value and very comfortable.
We will definately be returning and will not even consider other hotels.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings Happy Hikers from Vancouver,

I can't thank you enough for sending in this great review about your stay. I respond to all replies and I share comments with the staff. They hear from me that they're doing a great job, but what counts at the end of the day is your opinion and it sounds like we're doing it right.

Logan is new with us and he's already among our most talented.

You summed it all up for me. We think our value is worth talking about. Parking for $18 (or $9 if you're a hybrid) is unmatched, along with the extensive continental breakfast; local pizza that we bake here at the hotel; cheese and crackers topped off with a few glasses of regional wine and cookies also baked by our staff - then there's the location - the up and coming "West End" of downtown - just a few steps from one of Portland's best playground: The Pearl District....not much more I need to say except that we have great areas to hike so hope you found some of them.

Thanks again for recognizing Logan. Please don't hesitate to contact me personally next time you're planning to come to Portland. I'm happy to handle your reservation and details; it's the very least I can do for our friends up north, particularly since you won't consider staying anywhere else. Best news we can hope for! Hope you have a wonderful summer in beautiful Vancouver; it's definitely a favorite destination of mine.

Hope to see you soon! Jeri

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We're out on tour. It's the beginning of April and we started in January, a tour that won't be all done until December. We typically stay in motels, a different one day after day but they're all sort of similar. The Mark Spencer is different, and it has become my favorite place to spend the night. It's a slight step up for us, but really the cost is comparable. There's just an added feeling of luxury. Nothing snobby though. The staff totally friendly & regular. Nice little kitchenette in the room. A romantic atmosphere. I like being up on the 5th floor to enjoy the plain city views in the big windows. Great central location. A basic breakfast is served but I eat breakfast around the corner at Cheryl's (opens at 7 a.m.). I wish I could pin down what it is about the Mark Spencer that makes me like it so much. All I can say is that when I'm there I feel like I'm living the life.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear M G,

All I can say is WOW! Thanks so much for taking time while you're on tour to send this review to TripAdvisor.

We love being different and non-snobby. Our staff is exceptional and they hear it from me all the time, but when they hear it from our guests, it really hits home.

Glad to know you have had a great breakfast at Cheryl's. It's a new neighbor and is getting rave reviews from our guests.

Thanks again for taking time to send in your review and if you're able to pin down anything else about your stay, feel free to give me a call at the hotel. Would love to meet you to personally to thank you for sharing a part of your month-long tour with us. Hope you've had a chance to have a few glasses of some fabulous Oregon and Washington wines...our wine reception every evening is included as part of our value. Have a great trip and thanks for staying with us.......Jeri