“The staff at the Mark Spencer Hotel is very accommodating.”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“The staff at the Mark Spencer Hotel is very accommodating.”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I rented a meeting space at The Mark Spencer Hotel for a Manager retreat. The staff was very helpful in getting the space prepared for my needs. They had fresh hot coffee ready along with pastries and muffins. Throughout the day they checked in periodically to refill water and coffee. I was very impressed how the staff made sure all our needs were being met. The experience overall was very good. I appreciated I had one less thing to worry about for the day.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Korean first
Ware, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 22, 2011

This is the first time we've ever gone *back* to New York City looking forward to peace and quiet. All night long we were serenaded by truck, trains, jets, church bells that ring at six am (on a Saturday?) and even a helicopter! Not to mention the noise from local bars and partiers. We asked for a room change and told that ours was one of the quietest. Lack of carpeting and drapes in the stark room did not help abate the incredible racket. Great place to stay if you don't plan on sleeping.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank unavailable11
Port Hueneme, California
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I had the best time staying at the Mark Spencer Hotel. I parked my car in their underground garage and never got into it again until I left. Everything you need is right outside the Hotel door. Beside the convience of the hotel, the hotel is such a nice and warm place to stay. The staff were so helpful and nice and the rooms were very clean and updated for an older hotel. I just loved it and will surely come back again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2011

This was my third stay at the Mark Spencer Hotel, and it was just great. The staff can't be faulted, from check in, where I asked for a room not on the street side, to the afternoon tea, umbrella loans, wine and cheese and the excellent breakfast. I was even lent a kettle so I could make tea in my room! The rooms are slightly dated, but they're spotless, and I loved the fact that I could cook when I wanted to, and that there was a toaster, especially as it poured with rain every day I was there. The area around the hotel is fine, and I love the fact that it's so near Powell's Books. Free WiFi was a real plus too, the only slight annoyance was that it had to be renewed every 12 hours. This was free, but it would have been better if it had been activated for the whole of my stay.

I'll be interested to see what the renovated rooms look like, but I really hope that the charm and affordability of the hotel isn't lost.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kme123
gcastaneda, Front Office Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Thank you for being our guest this past month and for your continued patronage. We look forward to hearing from our guests and appreciate your comments.
Over the last two years, we installed all new sound proof, high efficiency windows as well as a centralized heating and air conditioning system. These upgrades have reduced our utilities by nearly 30% and have greatly increased our guest comfort. This winter we opened an onsite fitness center featuring state-of-the-art Precor equipment and later this Spring we will be reopening our famous rooftop garden. Within the next two years, we are planning extensive renovations and upgrades to our guest rooms, lobby and event spaces.
The historic charm of The Mark Spencer will not be lost during or after the renovation process nor will the hotel's affordability. We look forward to having our guests with us for many years!
I hope that on your next visit to Portland you will return to The Mark Spencer Hotel to see what’s new!
Thank you again for choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel while visiting Portland! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest!

Warm Regards,

Pam Coser
Front Office Manager
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel has a lovely feeling. I like that dogs are welcomed. People are relaxed and friendly. The location is perfect for visiting Powell's Books. Whole Foods is nearby. The breakfast buffet is convenient as is the all-day free coffee machine. The rooms are fine and the possibility for using the handy in-room well-equipped kitchen is a plus. These folks have done about everything to anticipate a traveler's needs and provide for creature comfort. Did I say the hotel is well-kept, nicely appointed, all with a wonderful homeyness.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank idlinfarm
Gastonia, North Carolina
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I chose The Mark Spencer based on reviews fromTripAdvisor, and didn't regret my decision. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly and given a room immediately even though we'd arrived early. The room was clean and spacious, and included an immaculate kitchenette. A huge plus is that the windows can be opened letting in the breeze and sounds from the street below. (closing the windows eliminated noise :)). We asked the staff a million questions about local attractions and places outside the city. We were given directions to everything, and if they didn't know, they looked it up and found answers. Powell Bookstore is a block away and a great place to spend downtime. Also, many many microbreweries within walking distance.
Overall, staff went over and beyond, rooms were clean and the full size appliances/kitchen allowed us to save money by not eating out for every meal. The breakfast in the lobby was quite nice, as was the daily wine and cheese. The 24 hour coffee machine was great too! Staff was accommodating when we needed to stay an extra hour after checkout due to flight time change.
If I ever get the opportunity to go to Portland again, I'd definitely stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drazilnc
seattle
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I visit Portland several times a year and always stay here when I can. Rooms are spacious, super clean, and very comfortable. Staff is always extremely pleasant, helpful and efficient. Continental breakfast and evening wine tasting very nice. Have stayed more than 10 times in past 4 - 5 years and never anything but great.
Fun neighborhood. Walking distance to river park promanade, for walk or run, and to Saturday Market. Also convenient to really good public transportation.
2 blocks from Powells City of Books is a deffinate plus. (Also Whole Foods Market)
Kitchenette adequately stocked with pots, pans, etc. (wish they had microwaves).
This is not just a place to stay, it is part of the fun of visiting wonderful Portland.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo