“Maybe the most Screwed Up Hotel In Portland”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Bend, Oregon
“Maybe the most Screwed Up Hotel In Portland”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

We have stayed at the Heathman numerous times over the years but they have gone from service to screw you and the horse you rode in on.
A few months ago we booked and reserved a suite on a credit card stating NON Smoking. When we arrived we were put in a "Smoking Optional" room on a smoking floor. New buzz word for smoking. After being lied to at first they finally confirme the 6 floor was smoking and tried to move is. No suites were available and so we finally accepted a corner king and they agreed to pay for the first night on them. We were told by many at the hotel the new management was messing up all over the place and the workers were trying to work things out.
So again this last weekend we again booked. I reserved on credit card and told them to make sure the suite was not on the 6th floor and non smoking. When we arrived this time things were worse. They had not suite, they only had a room with two single beds. We arrived at about 5pm so there was no late issue. They said tough luck that the other rooms were booked. So the reservation meant nothing and were sorry. If you went online it still showed these rooms available so they are either stupid or do not care anymore. They said there was again new mangement in the last few days. So this is a hotel that has gone into the gutter. Too BAD. We went to the Monaco and it was excellent in every way. STAY away from the HEATHMAN

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tewurzel
darynw, General Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2016
As the new General Manager of the Heathman Hotel, I was reviewing TripAdvisor and noticed you never received a response. I'd like to take a moment to invite you to stay with us again using our new promo code: RTRN. If there is anything I can do to make your next stay memorable, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Daryn White
Heathman Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

This place needs a makeover! Service is great, but there's only so much you can do with a place that was clearly remodeled around 1980 and hasn't been updated since.

Parking is an extra $30/night on top of your room rate, there's no mini fridge in your room to keep food in, the hallways are dark and narrow (could easily be brightened up with some lighter paint) and the rooms are super small - and that's coming from someone who drives a Mini and appreciates small-house architecture.

After we checked in and were relaxing in our room, I could hear the people in the next room having sex, very clearly. Now I see why there are 2 sets of earplugs in the room! I'm afraid to find out what the eye mask is for ;-)

Cleanliness could be improved - I just noticed a pretty large stain on the throw at the end of the bed.

So the walls are paper thin, the place looks a little dated (and not in the good 'historic' way) and parking is expensive on top of already-high room rates. I wouldn't mind if there was something special that really made the place stick out, but I've been here for a day already and I still haven't found it.

The good: peet's coffee and a French press, complimentary good-quality loose tea, and honey sticks! Quiet elevator. Comfortable bed and pillows. Decent location near shopping and the edge of the pearl district.

But they've got to distinguish themselves somehow, and it cant just be the great front desk service - you interact with them for MAYBE 5 minutes of your stay, wheteas you're in your room for many hours. Ideas: super quiet rooms? Spa bathrooms? I don't know, but next time I'm in town I'll probably stay at the Ace again for a unique experience.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank stefohnee
Seattle, Wa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

The Hotel is wonderful and very cozy. We had the Symphony Suite and it was a very nice room. The Room Service food was very good as was the Restaurant . The Bar was great as well. Highly recommend this Hotel

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Wife and I went to Portland for one night in August, 2009, to see family and friends and visit Powell's. I bid on Priceline.com and got the Heathman, which was the hotel I had wanted to stay at since Anthony Bourdain spoke so highly of it on the program he did from the Northwest. We arrived and were immediately helped from our car by the doorman. Had help with our bags and the car was parked for us. Then I remembered I forgot my phone in the car! They went after it and I gave them a small tip. All very fast. Front desk was outstanding, and despite bidding for a room, and expecting a small one, they gave us a suite room, which was much larger than I had expected. Very gorgeous room!! All the tones were subdued and relaxing, and the quality was very high. We really liked it. The room was very very quiet at night, since it faced an inner courtyard. No view from the room, but the view at this hotel is the Lobby. We loved the wood paneled lobby. They had a live jazz trio with a wonderful female vocalist. The music was fantastic, and many people were enjoying it sitting in the comfortable chairs there. We walked around the lobby, and went up to the mez to see the library. We ended up eating dinner late in the restaurant adjacent to the lobby, and I had the most delicious sole amandine. It was outstanding! Never skip the hotel restaurant thinking it won't be very good, because it was. It was very busy, even at 9pm when we ate there. Large windows look out to the sidewalk. This is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at. We plan to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
N. Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

My husband and I ended a 13 day tour of Washington and Oregon with a three-night stay in a Symphony Suite at The Heathman. I have heard that the regular rooms there are small, but the Symphony Suite offered a lovely sitting room and a substantial sized bedroom. It was a nice place to rest at the end of a busy trip. The only criticism of the space is that too little square footage was allowed for the toilet and tub room of the bath-- it was very tight-- but the remainder of the space was so pleasant that it can almost be overlooked. The location of the hotel is excellent and the staff was pleasant and professional. A terrific stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

We only had one night to spend at this very elegant, very upscale hotel. The level of service was top notch from the doorman greeting us as we drove up to the valet who retrieved our car early the following morning. The rooms are immaculate and beautifully appointed.We were given a room on the top floor without even asking for it. Everything looked brand new. The bed was beyond comfortable and while the bathroom is tiny it was pristine. I have no idea why the previous poster detected a mildewed odor. I can't imagine this hotel would allow that to be the case based on what I saw. The soaps and shampoos are of high quality as has been pointed out in previous postings and there is a real blow dryer that can be found in the closet in a hanging pouch. Magnified makeup mirror in the bathroom as well. Love when I have that!! The only thing I thought was missing was a room safe.
The neighborhood surrounding this hotel was lovely as well and I felt very comfortable walking around later in the evening.
The jazz combo was a nice addition to the stay here and we enjoyed them quite a bit after dinner in the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stunningly beautiful hotel, great service, incredibly comfortable bed. There were just two things that irked me. The first was that I think they must have been having a soap shortage, no new shampoo or soap or lotions were left for three days, finally I called and requested. I know this seems trivial - but heck when I stay in lesser hotels they leave a new bar of soap every day and a new shampoo. So one day was ok, two days was a little odd, three days (using tiny soap slivers) I called. No one came with soap. Two hours later the turn down service showed up - but with no soap. I asked for some - and she dissapeared for 30 minutes. This is why I think that there must of been a Portalnd soap shortage that weekend.

The other thing that bothered me was the stinky shower curtains. PU Mildew. I ended up spraying them with my perfume just to be able to tolerate going in there. As high class of a hotel as this is, I was surprized that their quality control did not catch two simple things like soap and stink. I am willing to give it a try again - but if the bathrooms are stinky - I am asking for a change of room. I may bring my own soap too!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business