“Elegant and Worth It”

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Spending a weekend in Portland is a wonderful splurge. I wanted to be close to shopping and the whole downtown winter-holiday vibe, as well as having several excellent restaurants within walking distance. And once I park, I don't want to be dealing with my car until I'm heading home.

We arrived around noon (3 hrs before normal check-in). Not only did the valet (in full doorman costume) take our car, the hotel checked us into our room. There really isn't a typical front-desk at The Heathman. Instead each check-in person is trained as a concierge, and they seem genuinely interested in making your stay wonderful and taking care of you themselves. Forgot a razor -- no problem, the desk staff brought one up -- the same person who checked us in.

We mentioned that our friends were also staying there, and she offered to get us all on the same floor. When we asked about brunch places, she found reservations for us in the midst of the Sunday-brunch rush (we were a party of eight by that time).

Our 5th floor queen-bed room was beautifully appointed, with luxe bedding, a chaise-lounge, desk, large closet and tv. The bathroom was smallish, but had a nice european feel to it, and excellent lighting.

We booked through the Portland Visitors association site, which is a tremendous deal... It includes valet parking with in and out privileges (worth $20 easily) and generous food credits for their excellent restaurant, meant to cover breakfast, but which can be applied to any meal (nice!)

One more thing. I don't really like "stuffy" hotels, where you feel intimated by the elegance of the place or the attitude of the staff. The Heathman made us feel like we belonged there. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank carlacorvallis
Write a ReviewReviews (2,247)

Reviewed November 28, 2006

We have been staying at the Heathman for over 20 years and have seen it slide down the slope of professionalism. I booked a room directly through the hotel for a specific room type. When we check in the front desk told us that our request could not be met, although the price was the same. We were downgraded to a dingy, beat-up, tiny room which was incredibly noisy, including banging hot water pipes starting at 7am. The hotel needs new management. It has a great location and restaurant, but that's about it. On checking out, I spoke with management and gave my feedback. He was underwhelmed.

5  Thank Oregontraveler10
Reviewed October 8, 2006

This hotel did not have a single flaw! We stayed two nights and I fell in love with this hotel. I would only stay there when I'm in Portland. We ordered room service the first night for dinner and it was wonderful, and so was the service. The room is very large. The beds are the most comfortable I've found. The staff are very friendly and also very helpful. I'm happy I found this hotel on TripAdvisor...

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank tra24
Reviewed October 1, 2006

We recently stayed at the Heathman Hotel and found the experience very dissapointing. We we arrived, we were told that there were two reservations under our name. We told the desk clerk that we had only one reservation thru Expedia. He said that he would go ahead and cancel the other one. At this point, we didn't think anymore about it.

The room was very small and the bathroom was not as clean as I would have expected it to be. Tile grout looked like it had mold. The decor looks worn and not in a charming way. I found the staff to be rather snooty and unfriendly to those not "dressed" to their standards. My husband and I travel extensively and usually arrive in jeans and a t shirt which, in our experience, tests the true nature of a 4 or 5 star hotel. If they treat us the same as someone arriving in a 3 piece suit, we find this to be indicitve of the hotel's level of service. We were definitely treated differently here. Our stay was only mediocre and I found the valet parking to be ridiculous. It was $27 for the night! We could have parked our car across the street ourselves for $12. We won't be returning nor recommending this hotel.

A few days after our stay, I was checking my credit card bill and discovered that the hotel had charged us $250.88 for our stay that had already been paid for thru Expedia. When I called Expedia about this, they immediately called the hotel to inquire about the charge. They were told to speak to the accounting manager of which they could not get a response. Finally, I called the hotel myself and spoke to a guest service rep who told me that since we had two reservations and essentially were a no show for one of them, we were charged for the room!!

I explained that the second reservation was obviously a mistake and the check in clerk had said he would cancel it. The guest service rep continued to argue with me, saying that the reservation was made and they held the room, and therefore are responsible for the charge. I got the same story from the accounting manager. I am now going to report this to my credit card company as fraud. I would expect much better treatment from a 4 star hotel. Regardless of how the duplicate reservation got there, we stayed at the hotel and paid for our room. They should be happy to reverse the charges and save themselves this negative review!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Zeamer3
Reviewed August 2, 2006

My husband and I booked a night at the Heathman through our travel agent and were extremely excited about it as my husband's name is Heath. I must admit that after reading all the reviews we were a bit nervous about staying there but WOW...we had nothing to be nervous about.

First of all, this is a "boutique" hotel. If you are looking for a place to stay with character this is the place. If you want the typical hotel go stay at the Hilton across the street. From the moment we arrived we were treated like a king and queen. There is a bellman in a cositume and all and the front fdesk/concierge was extremely helpful.

The room was fantastic. We stayed in a symphony sute which gave us a little extra room. We did see a basic room and that was beautiful too. A little smaller of course but still beautiful. Again, this is a boutique hotel and the rooms are going to be a little smaller than others like the Hilton, or Embassy Suites or any other chain hotel. the rooms are beuatiful and comfortable.

The staff from the doorman to the front desk staff to the bartenders at the restaurant/bar are genuinely great people and love to help you out if you treat them with the same respect. ...the rooms are fantastic. We had no niose and loved every momner.

We have stayed in may hotels in many places. For the price you can't et a better deal actually when you compare prices to New York, San Francisoco, San Diego, etc etc. This hotel is incredible. You will love it...just don't expect the same boring typical hotel like the Hilton where you find the same bedding, towels, decor, etc. Enjoy this place!!! Trust me!!!!!!

Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank DukeFlagstaff
Reviewed July 28, 2006

We arrived a little early and checked our luggage at the desk. Later when our room was available we asked the desk clerk if we could have our luggage, she told us they would bring it right up. After waiting for ½ hour we called the front desk, once again they said they would bring it right up. A few minutes later someone arrived and started unloading the luggage in our room. She asked if we would like some ice we said sure. We had no idea where to find any ice in the hotel. My husband realized she was unloading the wrong luggage. She apologized and said she would find out what happened to our luggage. We were just getting ready to call again when desk clerk showed up and said “Sorry, I didn’t know you wanted your luggage right away.” We forgot to ask about the ice that was never delivered. Earlier that day the hotel had called and asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay more pleasurable. We said all we needed was a way to chill some champagne. Thye said there was a little fridge in the room and they would have it cleaned out before we arrived. When we went to put our champagne away, the fridge was loaded with no room. We called the front desk again and they sent someone up.

We strolled around Portland for awhile and came back to have a glass of wine before dinner. I picked up the corkscrew only to discover it was broken. Once again I called the front desk but there was no answer. I let it ring about 15 times. A little while later there was a knock at the door. Our “luxury getaway” package came with turn down service. The maid said she wanted to turn down our beds. I asked if she could come back and she said no. My husband had just gotten out of the shower so I told her just to forget the turn down service. I asked if I could have a corkscrew and some ice.

We went to dinner at the Heathman Restaurant which was absolutely wonderful. We went back to our room and decided to watch the “free movie” that came with our package. We called the front desk, again no answer. We waited then my husband tried pressing zero and got someone on the line. We told them we would like to watch a movie and they said “sorry, all of the movie channels are taken, call back in ½ hour”. We decided just to forget about it.

The next morning I reached for the cotton ball container only to discover a cotton ball with dried blood on it stuck in the jar.

Upon check out I neglected to go over my bill in detail, when I did look at the receipt I discovered I had been overcharged. I called and they placed me on hold a couple times then offered to call me back. Eventually they said they would issue a credit for the overcharge. I sent a letter to the Hotel with my phone number as of about a month later I have yet to hear anything from them. Not so much as a sorry.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Traveler111x
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Stayed at the Heathman in Portland July 8-9. From the moment I arrived I experienced friendly, accommodating service in a beautiful hotel with many perks. My "Personal Concierge", contacted through the website offered me an upgrade at a low rate. He also emailed me restaurant recoomendations.
I received an Executive corner room with a view from the 10th floor at a great value.The room was lovely, spacious, (large) and very comfortable. The bathroom had a large entry area with a second sink, the bed was a Tempurpedic, and there were FREE movies (after a long day of driving, this was very nice). There was a French press coffee maker in the room and a kettle for boiling water for tea or coffee, with Peets Coffee. My Personal Concierge escorted me to my room, carrying my bag, and showed me everything in the room. He also asked if I needed any assistance reserving a table at a restaurant for dinner. Basically, all your needs are looked after.
The valet parking attendant was dressed as a Beefeater, easy to spot, friendly and helpful. Valet parking was $24, a bit steep, considering there was cheap lot parking a block away, but it was very convenient and had in and out privileges. The lobby is beautiful, with a large saloon that serves tea in the afternoon. The Heathman Restaurant is very highly rated with a highly skilled French chef. I had a delicious continental breakfast of flaky croissants, freshly squeezed juice, and coffee. There was turndown service with 2 complimentary bottles of water (one on ice), earplugs (not needed) and a sleep eye mask. The mini bar had the usual snacks, including Oregon Tillamook cheese, Oregon wines and local microbrewery beer. (a Portland specialty)
The location is in the "Cultural District", adjacent to leafy, tree-filled parks and museums. The hotel is downtown, very central to the Pearl District and the Hawthorne. I highly recommend this stunning hotel.
**Tip: reserve through heathmanhotel.com, for the best rate, then contact a personal Concierge. And check out Powell's Books, an amazing store within walking distance.Also Jake's Bar and Grill for dinner, and Kornblatt's Delicatessen in the Hawthorne district for brunch or lunch.

9  Thank HappyTrails6