“The Smallest Bathrooms Ever!”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #24 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona
“The Smallest Bathrooms Ever!”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Let me begin by stating the hotel is perfectly located, the service was good, and the beds were super comfortable. However, the rooms are incredibly small for more than one person and the bathrooms are smaller than a closet. Specifically, Room 408, where a colleague had stayed, has an extra wall in the bathroom so there's no way to dry and style your hair. I think the bathroom in a cruise ship stateroom is larger! Some rooms near the elevators are larger but the majority are the same small size.

We also ate and had drinks at the restaurant. The meals were tasty and the desserts were fantastic but it was extremely expensive... more expensive then it was worth. I also used the fitness facilities which were small but sufficient.

I think the decision to stay at this hotel would rely on what was more important: close proximity to the trains and restaurants versus the comfort of a small room and even smaller bathroom.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingSuz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We had a nice two day stay at The Heathman. All the staff was friendly and our suite was lovely albeit a bit small. This hotel seems to cater to a more mature/business crowd and is something to consider when booking.

Redwood City, California
Reviewed April 20, 2010

First visit to the Heathman was a great experience. Symphony Suite was well equipped-2 LCD tv's, large work desk, nice separate seating area, modern bathroom upgrade, pick your own mattress type as an option (think it is the same for any room) pillow top was VERY comfortable (might try temperapedic next time) , free wireless (24 hr free computer access in the business center, too)--Service was exceptional-Every need anticipated-bottled water on the night stand with new ear plugs and eye shades each night--Smiling greetings from everyone from bellman to reception to concierge--VERY central location--museums, shopping, etc-Very happy to have been at the Heathman--can't wait to go back and have a dinner in their highly reviewed restaurant next visit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 19, 2010

This hotel was absolutely stunning in style, decor, atmosphere and comfort. Our needs were not only met, but anticipated with a smile! Staff went above and beyond to accomodate as we were traveling with VERY large photos which needed to be transported to and from our room for framing. And the bed...ahhh. I wanted to sleep all day, but alas life intervened. I have stayed at other 4 star hotels in Portland, but this is where I will return next time we visit this lovely city, which I hope is very soon! Thanks Heathman staff!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I just got engaged, and to celebrate my fiance and I decided to have a nice weekend in Portland. We have stayed at the Heathman before, and loved it - so we decided to book there again. Being a guest at the hotel makes me feel special, because you are treated like a superstar from arrival to your check out. The staff acknowledges you and makes you feel welcome, like they are excited you are thier guest. We spent a lot of our visit just relaxing, watching movies and dreaming up our wedding while it rained lots outside. We did order room service on our last night - wow, the food was amazing, and so was the presentation... never expected that! I cant wait to come back again, with my new husband!

portland
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I recently stayed at the Heathman Hotel in downtown Portland for my birthday and was beyond impressed with the property. First of all, the rooms are beautiful! The bathrooms have been updated since my last stay and they are lovely! The beds are super comfortable which was a huge plus and the room service we ordered was incredible! Not your ordinary room service for sure. The staff was extremely helpful as well making us feel right at home. All in all, it was a weekend to remember. I can’t wait to go back!!!

CA
Reviewed April 4, 2010

This hotel and service does not deserve the stars most rave about! This place is overly hyped. I could list the many "boo boos" that management may be very unaware of...
CONS: the small things that just add up...
* mediocre service: no acknowledging that you are coming in, getting on the elevator (no looking up nor greeting). I have been to less expensive hotels and they are friendly and helpful.
* the employees gave off the impression they were bored, tired, unhappy, and just didn't want to be working.
* I would have liked more Info on where to go especially when I was asked whether this will be my first time here at Portland and visiting/vacationing. No mention of their restaurant's happy hour and music * I had to stop at the local Starbucks for some recommendations.
* No microwave on site to warm my food
* Broken refrigerator plus a $16.50 and $2.00 fee for private bar services when none was taken.
* Wireless Internet does not work
* Was charged for 3 adults, but provided robes, slippers, towels for 2 adults. The towels were of the rough cotton material- the kind that you would use to wipe the floors.
* The restroom and the door were very small. I found it difficult to close the door behind me and had to sit on the toilet to be able to close the door. I am small/petite so I cannot imagine how the average American would not complain about this.

the most upsetting was when my friend and I were coming back from the food carts and wanted to enjoy our lunch back at our hotel, at the lounge by the fireplace. We were given permission to be able to sit anywhere in the lounge room. I felt we were very unwelcome. One of the restaurant employees, Christian, gave us this very rude look for taking 2 of his table napkins he had set up.
I apologize for taking them but you work in customer service, It is inappropriate for you to give us mean looks. I know nothing was resolved of it because when I spoke to the restaurant manager Brandon, he acted nonchalantly.

Jeremy from the front desk was the only one we noted to be the most helpful and most professional. all he said and needed to say was "absolutely, you may sit anywhere you want!" He was genuine and friendly- the kind of service I wish we received from the get go.

Conley, thanks for your kindness in listening to us girls. We were truly just looking for good, simple service. Not anything "overboard." Sadly, we did not get it here.

Kudos for the housekeeping and the nice soap & lotion! ;)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends