“Historic Gem”

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had to be in Portland for a conference and a friend insisted that we stay at the Heathman Hotel. Are we ever glad we did! This is a historic property, so quirky rooms were expected. We had a lovely corner suite, with an accessible shower in one bath and an additional, much smaller, bathroom, adjacent to the bedroom. My husband loved the shower and I loved my private, intimate, bath. The physical comforts were well attended in our room, with a wonderful hot water kettle and French press set up, with incredibly good coffee and tea (they grind the beans in-house). As a tea drinker, I really appreciated being able to drink tea that hasn't been made in a nasty coffeemaker.

Portland is such a walkable city, I set out each morning on a five-mile walk through the city. The extremely friendly and helpful valet and bellpeople were great with suggestions for walking destinations, and it was such a pleasure to be greeted by these charming young men upon return!

The concierge (why can't I remember his name?) was super about making reservations and suggestions for us. He made a reservation for Ringside Fish House and when we were seated, a delicious truffled crab frite appetizer was served, compliments of the Heathman! Outstanding meal, by the way.

The library was delightful -- we decided that we wanted to write books so we can have autographed copies there -- the wine happy hour in the library was a great way to unwind in the early evening. Our conference had a hospitality suite in the Symphony Room, and the staff was superlative each night, food was delicious.

We really enjoyed the lounge, with a delightful piano trio playing unobtrusively. The drinks were well made and the service was friendly and perfect. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was excellent as well.

Our corner suite overlooked the street, and street noise was minimal. This is Portland, not Chicago! Nobody beeps their horns here, we never heard sirens...the only street noise we heard was the occasional bus, and that wasn't an issue.

Great location, with many great restaurants, Symphony Hall, art museum, Nordstrom and the Farmers Market all within an easy walk. For breakfast, walk to the Farmers Market for some local deliciousness!

For us, the few extra dollars were well worth it, in terms of creature comforts and relaxation. Our friends who stayed across the street didn't seem nearly as happy and relaxed as we were! We had to restrain ourselves from bragging about how well taken care of we were!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Krissy S, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Dear pcsullivan,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Heathman Hotel, I am so glad you gave us a chance upon reccommendation. It sounds like your really explored Portland and experienced all you could within the hotel and I am so glad you did. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our city and hotel and we look forward to hearing to your stay in the future.

Kristen J.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,247)

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our executive king room was more spacious than I expected, and was nicely appointed, with extra outlets everywhere: handy for plugging in chargers. The bathroom would have been minuscule but was made larger by the addition of a dressing area with sink and lots of counter space.

The room contained all one would need or expect, including an ironing board and iron, safe, and in room french press coffee and electric kettle. Every night they provided several bottles of water, free of charge.

Our sole complaint was that the free wifi was poor. We had a corner room on a middle floor but the signal was weak, sometimes completely gone, and the internet was usually slow. This surprised us, since we had just stayed at the Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, a much older hotel, and had excellent wifi in our room.

The desk staff and concierge were all knowledgeable and helpful. We valet parked our car there (expensive) and they were quick to bring it around when we needed it. We also ate at the restaurant for breakfast several times and highly recommend it. The pricing is similar to all the local brunch places but without the long lines Portland is famous for. We had one dinner there which was good, but not exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive king room, or larger. We had a corner room, which was lovely with all the wind...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear AnnMNY,

Thank you for choosing the Heathman Portland for your travels, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the amenities. I am sorry to hear that the wifi was not up to the Heathman standards during your stay. I am happy to announce that we are currently working on upgrades to this to improve the guest wifi experience.
Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to your return in the future.

Kristen J.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

We loved it and would definitely come back. The staff was very attentive, and pleasant. The building is historic and beautiful, we didn't have time to look at the library, but that is impressive. It is a cosy gem. The food was very good to excellent.

Room Tip: Sweet king room, not very big, but with lovely decor and very nice sheets. Next time we will book a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear clarepierson,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Heathman Portland! We can't wait to welcome you back to show you even more of what this great city has to offer! And, you'll surely have to visit us during the wine tasting in the library! It's a must!

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

There is no better place for me to stay in Portland. 3 minutes walk to the light rail and the street car system. Walk to great bas and restaurants. Top notch service and attention to detail. Love the French press coffee in the rooms and an all you need fitness center for keeping up with cardio. In house bar has great cocktails and late night menu. Lobby is very suitable for a business discussion. It's priced at the high end but for me it's worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Frank0265,

What a wonderful review - thank you! We are beyond lucky to have you as a loyal and returning guest! This outline of your Heathman Portland experience sums up exactly what we want to express to all guests, new and returning!
We can't wait to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Booked one night through Hotels.com and paid about $350/night. That seems high for Portland, but I couldn't get a room in the couple of places I wanted to stay, so I thought I'd try a centrally-located hotel for a little more money. And it's great, if you want your Portland hotel next to Abercrombie & Fitch or Nordstrom (or fill-in-the-blank chain retail store). Some random thoughts: Why does the owner make the doorman wear a ridiculous Beefeater costume? What Asian import company hit the jackpot with the interior design contract? Why can room service not close your door tightly when they deliver the water and bathrobes, leaving your room (and hence your computers and other valuables) open to passers by? Why does it cost so much to stay here?

It's run down, loud (both outside noise and hallway noise), and kind of tacky, frankly. The only saving grace is that the people who work here are really, really nice and I feel kind of bad about being so negative about the hotel because of that. But it's not worth the money, even for exceptionally friendly, helpful hotel staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Joanne M
Krissy S, Director of Housekeeping at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

We want to thank you for reviewing your experience from the Heathman Portland, I am disappointed to hear that your door was not closed properly, it is our intention that guests feel safe and secure here at the Heathman. We will absolutely address this issue with our staff.
I am disappointed to hear that we did not present our Green practices in a clearer manner. In our directory there is a host of information regarding our Green practices, such as our entirely recyclable paper products and our low flow showerheads and toilets in the rooms. Much of our Green practices happen behind the scenes, such as our recycling of used soaps through a great program called Clean the World that sanitizes and redistributes soaps to places that have high rate of hygiene related illnesses.
Some of the other ascetics for the hotel have long standing traditions though they may seem unusual and our Beefeater doorman have been around since the beginning. Much like the long steeped tradition of the Beefeaters at the London Tower, they are the protectors of the Heathman and bring some of that European character to the hotel.
I am glad through all of your experience that our Personal Concierge left a good impression, our service is important to us. I would welcome you to contact me directly for future reservation or even just to discuss your experience further.

Hoping to get to speak to you.

Kristen Jackson

Reviewed August 7, 2014

My stay at The Heathman was was extremely pleasant..the physical accommodations are comfortable and pleasing to the eye, and the staff is first class. Everyone was pleasant and helpful my entire stay. I also enjoyed the restaurant, the food was amazing..These are the measures of a world class hotel. I always felt welcome and I will return.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear Becca D.,

How can we thank you? This is a great review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your time in Portland and that we were able to accommodate you! Please join us again soon - it would be brilliant to see you again!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Last week, my mom and I enjoyed 4 nights' stay at The Heathman Hotel. I had previously stayed there twice with my husband, and knew that it was conveniently located, close to shopping, with a nice restaurant and helpful, friendly staff members. This time was no different, and confirmed for me what a great option The Heathman is for travelers. My mom and I had to share a King size bed but it was so large and dreamily comfortable that we both slept extremely well. I usually wake up several times a night at home, so I was amazed to sleep through the entire night 3 out of the 4 nights! I wanted to take that bed home with me! We stayed on the 4th floor and had requested a "quieter" room, which we had, at the end of a hallway. The staff was gracious from the front desk to the concierge to the wait staff in the restaurant. We walked to the Farmer's Market 1 block away around the corner and got a big bouquet of dahlias and the staff brought us a pretty glass vase within 2 minutes of asking if they had anything we could borrow. The wonderful Portland Art Museum is also only 2 blocks away. The Heathman is a Pet-friendly hotel; we met a charming bulldog named Beatrice during our stay. Rooms were clean, with L'Occitane products--quite a luxurious treat--in the bathroom. Having a vanity area with lighted magnifying mirror was perfect for my older mom, and the shower had great water pressure and temperature. We had a fantastic time and look forward to returning to The Heathman again in future.

Room Tip: You will be sent an email ahead of time asking what kind of room you'd like along with pillow ch...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Anne805,

Thank you for choosing the Heathman Portland for your getaway with your Mother! Sounds like everything worked out just perfectly and we are so pleased to have been the backdrop to your wonderful stay in this great city!
What great news that you were able to sleep through the nights! That is always such a relief, we are glad we could provide a comfortable and inviting place to rest your head!
Thank you for making mention of our pet-friendly status! We are always happy to welcome our guests four legged companions! Beatrice, the English Bulldog, is a staff favorite - isn't she a hoot!?
We look so forward to welcoming you back again soon!
All the best,