“motel 6 shower?”

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Nice staff, classic location. We were there for 3 nights and while the room was nice, mechanical details were a nuisance (the door lock ran low on batteries, plumbing, etc.). The robes are ok. They used to be the best in the business. The restaurant is pricy but very good. We like the bar. Our room was very nice but the plumbing is old. Really Poor water pressure in the shower: Green, sustainable, yada, yada, yada

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Tom P,

I was very concerned to hear about the issues you had with your shower and will be addressing them with engineering immediately. If you would like to speak with me directly pertaining to your stay please contact me directly 503-241-4100.

Best Regards

Jamicia Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (2,201)

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I surprised my wife with an overnight stay here a couple of nights ago so we could go to the Pink Martini show at the Schnitz on the 12th ( great show of course) and everything was handled to perfection. Thanks to Rachel for helpng me set up the surprise and for the surprise gift of wine, water and chocolates. The valet parking was one of the fastest and most efficient I've ever experienced and checkin was also quick and efficient.We were given a room on the 9th floor in a king room that was small but gave us everything we needed. I loved the fact that the window opened and the radio was on playing classical music when we checked in. The room also had a separate container for recyclables which was huge for me. (Why that isn't standard for hotels I'll never know!) Overall it was a great experience; even turndown service in the evening! (the restaurant was also great; I'll review that separately.)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear travelguy51_9,

Thank you for the glowing review of your stay at the Heathman Hotel! We are so pleased that we were able to assist with the surprise for your wife and that you found the room comfortable and environmentally conscious- we are, after all, a certified green hotel and we love to hear about it when guests appreciate those details! We also appreciate you taking the time to write such a lovely review, so thank you for your kind words! We hope to have the opportunity to host you and your wife again soon.

Warm regards,
Krissy
Online Content Manager
ksonniksen@heathmanhotel.com

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visit Portland roughly once a month and have usually frequented downtown properties like The Westin, The Nines, and Hotel Monaco (Kimpton). I just completed my first stay at The Heathman Hotel, a three-nighter in one of the property's Symphony Suites.

The greeting upon arrival was wonderful, with the bell staff accompanying me right from my taxi all the way to the check-in desk: Much appreciated. The check-in was warm and efficient, as were the personal concierge staff members throughout my visit. I was highly impressed with their service.

One could hardly ask for a better location in downtown Portland, with all the principal sights and shopping easily accessible on foot. It was particularly wonderful to have the Art Museum just steps away, behind the hotel.

With all this said, I don't think I will return to The Heathman, and opt instead for my mainstay in Portland, The Westin. The Heathman is, as one would expect given its star-rating, considerably more expensive than other high-end properties in Portland. Unfortunately, there were a few elements of my stay that made me question why I was paying the premium price.

Although wifi was ostensibly free, customers were given the option of paying $9.99 for a higher-speed service. I found the free wifi too slow for my purposes but was put off of buying the other service: Nickle-and-diming like this when staying in a suite at a hotel of this rating seemed pretty distasteful.

As for the suite itself: Not bad (though it seemed more like an oversize room than a suite). The deal-breaker was the bathroom. It was tiny: So small that I could hardly turn around. Terribly disappointing in a 'suite.'

Finally, as a business traveler, I have to rely on room service for breakfast and dinner quite frequently, and this trip was no exception. But every time I called for room service at The Heathman, I was quoted a delivery time of 45 minutes! Even for breakfast. I felt like I could have had a pizza delivered more quickly. And while the menu appealed to my foodie side, it proved impossible to get a simple sandwich when I wasn't in the mood for an extravagant meal.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear pds209,

Thank you for taking the time to record your experience from the Heathman Portland. We are pleased to hear that you were greeted and welcomed by our friendly Personal Concierge team and started your stay off right. And, we must agree with your appreciation to our location, it is ideal for exploring this gorgeous city!
All that said, we are sorry to hear that overall the experience wasn't desirable. Due to our historic nature, we do admit that some of the bathrooms are smaller than we are use to in modern accommodations. I wish we would have known your disappointment during your stay as we would have happily looked into availability for a room with larger facilities!
In terms of the restaurant, we are sorry to hear of what memories you are left with! We can understand, though, that being in a hurry and needing to get on with your day can be frustrating when you are left waiting for breakfast to be served.
Please accept our sincere apologies and if you'd like to discuss any of these matters further, please feel free to reach out to me personally.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

The Heathman hotel is a downright charming hotel. The rooms are extremely comfortable and well-appointed with nice touches all the way down to the electric blue with gold Heathman-logo round throw pillow and French press in lieu of a coffee machine. The lobby bar is old-world elegant, and the modern, skylight-lit library above it has hundreds of books signed by authors who have stayed at the hotel. The staff, from reception to bell staff to library curator, are just great. If you are visiting Portland, this hotel is worth the surprisingly reasonable splurge!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear CountDrexel,

Wow, cheers for the awesome review! We are so glad to hear you detail your stay with such delicacy and enticing splendor! We are extremely pleased to offer fresh ground Portland Roasting Company for our in room coffee choice, plus the french press adds a certain, je ne sais quoi!
Thank you, as well, for the great compliments to the staff and librarian! I'll be sure to share that with them.
Hoping to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Easily one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in, yet the staff remains warm and friendly. You will not find a better experience in Portland with these well appointed rooms, easy valet parking, and excellent food. Combined this with the relative value you receive her and it will become your go to place for Downtown...it did for us as this was our 3rd stay her in 9 months.

The rooms are very comfortable, updated, and well designed. All the rooms we've stayed in have been very quiet as well. On this last stay they upgraded us to a King suite and gave a bar credit since it was a birthday....nice touch and a great example of their ambition to provide more than you expect. Lastly we received early check in by asking, and since we are enrolled in their "points" program we got 2pm late check out. Fabulous!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for something specific since they want you stay to be top notch and are n...

Dear BlueC0llar,

What a title to a gorgeous review - thank you, thank you! We couldn't ask for a finer compliment! We are beyond pleased that your experience was so pleasant! Please join us again soon!
Each season offers so much in downtown Portland, we'd adore welcoming you numerous times throughout the year!

Thanks again!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Love the Heathman, it is an annual tradition to stay there for my wife's birthday. Close to numerous great restaurants, and a warm, comfortable place to stay. Totally recommended.

And here are the additional required characters.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Wes_Portland

Dear Wes_Portland,

It's great to hear when we've become a traditional to someones routine. We are honored to be a part of your annual expedition into the city! Our location does offer the ideal proximity to many fine restaurants, and don't forget to try ours as well (breakfast is divine)!
We can't wait to welcome you back again next year (if not sooner!)

All the best,

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Heathman went the extra mile. Jamicia , manager, made certain everything was perfection again. Many thanks to Jamicia and all the concierge , food service, front desk and valet service for making it a perfect two nights. Housekeeping, too!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Konaquita

Dear Konaquita,

What can we say? This is what TripAdvisor is all about! How can we thank you for giving us another try and for writing such a great review of your experiences. Jamicia is a great gem to us and we are pleased to hear that she was able to make the stay extra special.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Take care,