“Over the top service and environmentally conscious”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #26 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had an excellent stay. I received very personalized service in a beautiful hotel that is centrally located. The hotel staff is environmentally conscious and very kind. I feel the service exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Max19782014
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Max19782014,

Thank you for taking this time to express and record your experience from the Heathman Portland. We really appreciate hearing the unique visitor stories and love reading about it all!
Additionally, we are so pleased you took in and enjoyed our "Green" features! We have been green seal certified for 3+ years and take great pride in continuing the tradition.
Hoping to welcome you back again soon!

Take care,
Krissy S.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,251)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The location of the Heathman is excellent. I felt I was close to everything I wanted to see! Not too far from the airport or water or lots of restaurants. The rooms were kind of old (faded colors) and the lamps were kind of cheap, but the chocolate shop and restaurant next door give this place such a classy vibe, I was able to overlook these minor flaws. Service was very nice--they kept replenishing complimentary water bottles in the room and made up our room on request whenever we left. The doormen were friendly and polite. Also, free wifi. I love hotels like this where they are not trying to nickle and dime you. Overall, a great find--I was very pleased. I stayed for four nights in a queen.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator are quieter (obviously)
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank IrisF998
HeathmanMGR, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear IrisF998,

Thank you for taking time to fill out a survey concerning your stay. We are a historic hotel and do work hard to keep our value up to standards. Your opinion is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you again soon!

Jamicia Williams
Directof of Guest Services

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is more like a 2 1/2 star but obviously no half-stars available... We stayed for 1 night in February. The hotel itself is nice, well located and the staff is very friendly. We ended up getting upgraded to a king bed even though it wasn't available when we made our booking.
The major downside was the room was unbearably noisy. We could hear every sound coming from our neighbors: talking, music, phone ringing, TV, etc. I was trying to watch the Olympics at night and I could hear what was playing on their TV just as loud as what was playing on my own.
There was also a ton of noise from the hall, so I'm not sure if we were in a bad location or if maybe the rooms just have horrible sound insulation. But if we go back to Portland I would most definitely stay at a different location because the noise issue made it difficult to sleep, in addition to just being annoying and constantly making you think that the neighbors can hear everything coming from your room as well...

I did enjoy the french press and local ground coffee in the room.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room that's nowhere near the elevator.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jesseix

Dear jesseix,

Thank you for choosing the Heathman Hotel during your visit to Portland in February. I read your review concerning the noise level during your stay and I apologize that we did not take initiative to move you rooms or do something to compensate for you being disturbed throughout your stay with us. Our goal is to provide outrageous service on every level and again, I apologize that this did not happen. I would love to speak with you directly concerning the noise issue, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Jamicia Williams
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I always stay at the Heathman when in Portland for business and this stay solidified my loyalty with them. I forgot my ipad at the hotel after checking out and they were able to locate it and have it ready for me when I came back to the hotel. They are always friendly and courteous but this went above and beyond my expectations.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sara G

Dear Sara G.,

What a review - thank you! We are proud to call you a loyal visitor and we are so glad that we could help you out during your last visit. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Very nice hotel. The concierge ordered us a free appetizer when we went to dinner the first evening. We have never experienced that before! Very good service. We would definately recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Shelly G,

Lovely review - thank you! So glad we could make your Portland experience a memorable and fun one! Please do come back, and bring all your friends! Looking forward to your return.

All the best,

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Got this deal through living social. Is a great hotel. Our room was gorgeous! Bed was really comfortable. Our room had a seperate living room that we could close off with the pocket doors.We ate breakfast downstairs and it was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Cheryl B,

We are beyond the moon to hear that you used our newest Living Social deal - that is such a great outlet for us and we are pleased you were able to utilize it for your stay. Glad you also were able to experience the restaurant and all other amenities that the hotel offered to you.
Hoping to welcome you back again soon!

Take care and thank you for the wonderful review.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

service attentiveness, quality of amenities, bedding and towels is perfect. Great hotel if you want to teach your kids how to behave in a real hotel...amazing breakfast with white table cloths and professional staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear outofdoorsy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Heathman Portland - sounds like it was wonderful! Glad you were also able to enjoy the restaurant, and during breakfast - great choice! Hoping to welcome you back again soon when your travels lead you to our lovely town again.

Take care!