“Rooms are small, but terrific hotel”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Rooms are small, but terrific hotel”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We just came down from Olympia for a basketball game and since the Warriors beat the Trailblazers, we were in a good mood. After the game, we had a nice hamburger and drinks in front of the fireplace in the lounge.
We got excellent recommendations and directions from the staff, which we needed since this was our first visit to Portland in 25 years.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear georgehuskie,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It sounds like you had a fantastic time and I'm so glad that we could accommodate you during this stay.
If you plan to return, which we hope you do, please contact us directly so that we can ensure that the size of your room is ideal for your visit.
We really appreciate you taking the time to review the Heathman Portland. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Take care,
Krissy S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
London
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Heathman hotel ranks high in the Portland list but is not an inspiring place to stay. The public rooms are interesting but the main accommodation is tired. We stayed in room 619 with a poky bathroom and wafer thin wall - not helped when American next door screamed into his phone at 4 in the morning. If you have to go to Portland, it's fine but if you're planning a leisure break, it doesn't quite cut it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Less_is_more2,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Heathman Portland. Trip Advisor has allowed us the opportunity to connect with our guests; hear of their PDX adventures; help ease any unhappiness with their visit. I'm so sorry to read that your situation was of the latter listing.
Please accept my sincere apologies that your time at our hotel wasn't more pleasant. If there is any chance that you'll come visit us again, I'll make sure your stay is a different experience altogether!
If you have any further questions or concerns, or are interested to give us another go, please contact me directly.
Thank you again.
Wishing you all the best,

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

There are hotels, there are luxury hotels, and then there is the Heathman. From your greeting by the Beefeater outside the lobby door to your personal concierge you are treated like royalty. No request goes unmet. Each member of the staff is empowered to make your desires fulfilled. Hotel has a beautiful library and unsurpassed original art collection. No need to worry about a day that catches you with a lot of rain outside as there is so much to do inside the hotel, including high tea, library tour, and self-guided audio tour of the art and original rosewood panels in the elevator from a tree that is extinct.
I am very particular about cleanliness and housekeeping and find this to be unsurpassed at this hotel. The French press coffee offered in each room is simple luxury that only adds to your delightful experience. There's evening turndown service which is complementary and also meets your every expectation.
Breakfast was perfect each day and I highly recommend the croissant which was the best I've ever had.
A remarkable experience I will long remember for many reasons.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank PlainJane23
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear PlainJane23,

We are sincerely grateful to you and the time you took to write this gorgeous review of your Heathman experience - what can we say? It looks like you had a wonderful time! That couldn't make us happier!
We hope to welcome you back again soon and help you to experience more of what the Heathman can offer to you!
Thank you again, you've truly made our day,
Atlanta
Reviewed March 7, 2014

That is a quote I read once by a travel journalist. This hotel is excellent and consistently excellent. Cozy, professional, efficient and in a fantastic location. Rarely do I relax in hotel rooms but their environment and setup is just right, not to mention the beds, pillows, size of rooms etc.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank veriotis_nm
HeathmanMGR, Front Office Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear veriotis_nm,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey. Your kind remarks about your experience is greatly appreciated and will be shared with the team.

We look forward to your return!

Best Regards,

Jamicia Williams
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here on business and found it to be a very classy place. The room is a bit small but the bed was comfortable. I ordered room service and the food was excellent.

Love the tea kettle and selection of teas. I like a cup of tea at night and often I have to heat water in a coffee pot which is never easy

Room Tip: ask for the suites - much bigger
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear TacomaTraveler2013,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Heathman Portland! I, too, know the power of a cup of tea at bedtime and Steven Smith is my first choice! I'm glad we could accommodate you with this request!
We are so hoping to welcome you back, either on business or leisure!
Wishing you all the best!
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed March 4, 2014

i love the heath man hotel so much because of how much of a landmark in portland it is. my family and i stay there for thanksgiving because we eat their price fixed delicious menu every year as a tradition. The employees are terrific and honestly you can't beat the beautiful holiday scenery. i highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in portland.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Samantha H
Dear Samantha H.,

Thank you for the wonderful review! The holiday times does bring out a certain magic in this historic building, I'm pleased you and your family have made it such a tradition!
We're looking forward to welcoming you back, anytime of the year!
All the best,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here on business but would return to this pricey spot on my own dime. The staff is helpful, from arranging cabs to moving rooms when you have noisy neighbors -- only complaint about this place would be that the walls are thin -- BUT they even provide you with earplugs and a sleep mask at turn down! Little things that I've never needed before -- like a hotel umbrella when I somehow neglected to plan for rain -- were much appreciated. Loved the French press in every room. Concierge even suggested spots where I could go buy rain-friendly apparel when I mentioned I was moving on to Seattle after my stay.

The library is relaxing, their librarian is fun and helpful to talk with. The gym was clean and well-appointed, despite being on the small side. The bartender was cool and gave me great wine suggestions while I sat and read for a few hours. Did I mention they also do wine tastings in the library? Heathman thinks of everything and made my travel of business seem more like travel for pleasure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mkproyze
Dear mkproyze,

Thank you for thinking of everything in this fantastic review! How can we thank you! You have recognized some of the finest aspects of the Heathman Portland and we appreciate the time you took to review your experience.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to the Pacific Northwest and found a glorious experience in Seattle as well!
Thank you, as well, for the wonderful comment about our library. That wee gem is one of our many pride and joys - we are so pleased you enjoyed it!
Hoping to welcome you back again soon!