“Fifty Shades of Disappointment”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 4, 2014

You are only strong as your weakest link. We’re newlyweds and we wanted to get away for the holiday and spend some quality time at a higher ranked hotel. We read the reviews from various sites and decided to go with the Heathman. Not to mention they were mentioned in E. L. James' book, Fifty Shades of Grey. I never read the book nor do I care to but regardless, it put the Heathman Hotel on the map for many people like me who never heard of it.

I don’t think I would be writing this, and this is my first time writing about any hotel, if it were not for the fact that they make the claim that service is an art. So for all of you reading this after reading all the wonderful reviews and you want to see what the naysayer are saying, keep reading before as I did and thought the good outweighs the bad.

We spent the extra money to have a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolate waiting for us when we arrived later Monday evening and it was there as promised. We ordered breakfast for the next morning and it arrived at the time range we requested. We left to go explore Portland and when we returned later that afternoon, the bucket of ice for the champagne was there and the breakfast tray was gone but the room was still dirty. Clearly someone came in but perhaps their housekeeping service didn’t get a chance to clean our room. I let the receptionist know that we were leaving again and to please have our room cleaned. When we returned, the room was clean but that bucket of now water was still there. Small oversight but no big deal.

The Heathman’s website announced that they were having a special NYE dinner with an optional wine pairing. So about two weeks prior to our trip, I called the secure reservations for two considering that reservations could not be made through Opentable for this special event. Reservations could only be made by calling so I called the number listed which put me in contact with the restaurant. They had no idea what I was talking about so I was transferred to the hotel concierge. I explained what the website stated and I was informed that I needed to make reservation with the restaurant and then I was transferred back to the restaurant. I spoke with the same person who knew nothing regarding the NYE dinner but she did take my number and said she would call me back when lunch was over. Fine. I’ll fast forward through the lack of follow-up and an overall failure of communication with the restaurant staff on the ground floor, second floor and the concierge to go on to say that the Executive Chef Michael Stanton and his staff did an excellent job with the dinner and wine pairing once we were able to secure reservations.

Many people complained of the tiny rooms. We didn’t experience that issue. We reserved the Symphony Suite and found it to be sufficient for the price. The bathrooms are oddly small for a hotel of this alleged caliber however my main issue regarding the bathroom is the toilet paper. Heathman, spend the extra money to get softer toilet paper. You are supposed to be a luxury hotel afterall.

The door staff. The first people you see when you arrive at the hotel. While they were present at the door, they stood under the heat lamp talking rather than assisting hotel guests. We stayed at the hotel for a week and I can count on one hand the number of times the “art of service” door staff opened the door for either of us leaving or coming. Again, I wouldn’t care as much except for the fact that they claim service is still an art.

We did have a great time in Portland but we certainly did not get the Heathman service is still an art treatment, whatever that is. If you want great food, you will find it here. If you want great service, don’t waste your money. It’s just that the service is what you can get from any regular hotel for half the price.

Service is an art. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor the rooms facing Broadway were nice. We still heard some noise but the vie...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fumacai
HeathmanMGR, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning the experiences that you had during your stay. Your opinion is much appreciated and will be taken into consideration for training.

The Holidays are a special time with family and friends that should not be dampened by the lack of service standards. The incongruent communication between the concierge and the restaurant, inconsistent housekeeping service, and the non-responsiveness greetings from the door are not acceptable by any standards. I sincerely apologize that you had to encounter all of these inconveniences during the week that you stayed with us.

This survey will definitely be addressed with all of the staff and used as an example for future training sessions so that this kind of service will never happened again. Additionally, if you plan to journey back to Portland, please contact me directly, I’ll be happy to help you with your reservation, ensuring all is in line and perfected from before.

Jamicia Williams
Director of Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (2,229)

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Heathman Hotel is an amazing experience. Every detail is important to them. I would recommend this for anyone wanting a special place. The room was clean and the staff very attentive to every need. The restaurant was wonderful.

Room Tip: The symphony suite is wonderful and well worth the money.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2014

There are some towns where it is fun to stay in an older or distinctive property and in Portland the Heathman would be that kind of hotel. It has a charm and understated elegance about it that conjures up memories of the past. This is more of a hotel for a business stay, or for those wanting to be centrally located in the city area of Portland. I would probably notrecommend it as much for families. But give it a try if you have not stayed there before. I enjoyed the hotel and would return.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
HeathmanMGR, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear TOWestonCT,

We appreciate your positive feedback about your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you and we are glad that enjoyed your time with us. The next time you are in the area, hopefully you will give us a try once more!

Kind Regards

JWiliams

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Best new years eve ever. the hotel is beautiful, service fantastic and the food and drinks amazing. Everything was perfect for our room check in including the add on amenties we ordered. The service was spectacular, staff treated us like they knew us. Will definitely return to stay at The Heathman. My new favorite spot in Portland!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Lori F,

What a review! Thank you! So glad you enjoyed your celebrations with us! It is a pleasure to hear that our guests are overly pleased with their accommodations and service experience. We really appreciate you sharing and can't wait to welcome you back!

All the best,
~Krissy S

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2014

10 years ago. It was fun to come back to spend New Year's Eve, relive our dining experience, and enjoy the Oregon Symphony and Gay Men's Chorus music to ring in the New Year. Brunch was delicious, the wait staff superb, and may have been the same we had years ago. Nice!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

An excellent Hotel with a very good restaurant. Be sure to confirm your restaurant reservations. The Hotel is well located to the Performing Arts theaters. A well furbished hotel in an older building. Small, quiet and nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

A week before Christmas my husband and I opted to stay downtown while attending a holiday party at The Heathman. We were able to check-in in advance of our event to freshen up. On a cold winter evening, it was nice to only need an elevator ride to get to our party. The Heathman did an excellent job with the party, everything was top-notch. The space was beautifully decorated. Food and drink were marvelous. The Heathman made for a very festive destination. The whole hotel had an upscale holiday feel. Again after the party it was delight to only need a short trip back to our room. The Heathman made it easy to relax, unwind, and enjoy a holiday evening. I'd recommend make this a holiday tradition!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Stevey1612,

Thank you for choosing the Heathman Hotel while you attended your holiday party. We really appreciate your kind words about your experience.

Happy New Year!