“A great place to stay in Portland”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I am a frequent traveller and must say that the service at the Heathman was exceptional.
From the doorman, to the receptionist to the concierge, everyone was happy to be of help.
The room was lovely, the bed was excellent . . .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan B
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Susan B,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am so thrilled to hear you enjoyed the staff so much and had such a great stay. We can’t wait to have you as our guest again. See you soon.
Warm regards,
Linda Reagan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,229)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The service and little touches they do are really great. Turndown with water, ear plugs, and an eye mask every night, incredibly friendly and warm staff, and although I don't know Portland well it seemed like it was in a good location in terms of proximity to shops and restaurants. The cons are a super duper small gym, very small bathrooms, and smaller than average suites as well. If you are a runner and want to get out of the hotel for a run, the waterfront path is only about 6 blocks away. I will warn you however that Portland has a massive homeless population so a large part of your waterfront run is going to involve running next to homeless encampments that have a strong stench. Overall I would stay at the hotel again as a solo traveler, but as a couple or a family I would probably not.

Room Tip: If you are in the back of the hotel your room will face a wall, however they did paint a mural on it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear yankeetravels27,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I am thrilled you enjoyed the service and little touches so much. We have the best staff in town and they truly care about our guests experience. You mentioned that our fitness suite is a bit on the small side. I wanted to let you know that we do have access to a full service work out facility right across the street. Please inquire with the concierge on your next stay; they can get you all the details. We also have many different suggestions for running routes that do not involve running on or near the waterfront. I am glad to hear you will return, and hopefully you will bring your family next time. We do have many types of suites of all shapes and sizes. I am sure we can find one that will accommodate your family comfortably. Our concierges are excellent and they can suggest many activities for your family while you are in Portland. We do hope to see you and your family soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was the third stop on a trip to the Pacific Northwest. Overall I was pleased with the property. There were lots of pleasant surprises that make this hotel unique. Here are a few of the pros and cons:
The pros - great location, tasteful rooms, choice of bed (tempur pedic, pillow top or feather bed), L'Occitane bathroom amenities, in room French press coffee, complimentary wine in the one of a kind library (over 4000 books all signed by the author - most first edition).
The cons - the bathroom is extremely small. Noisy hallways.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traci_Cal

Dear Traci_Cal,
We are so pleased you chose to stay with us on your Pacific Northwest trip. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed about the hotel and that you had a chance to visit the library. I am sorry to hear you felt your guest room was not spacious enough. We do have many different room types of all shapes and sizes. Next time you find yourself in Portland give us a call and I am sure we can find a room that you will be comfortable in. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Staying at this hotel booked by corporate travel. Nicely located and nicely appointed. The pluses: very old attractive style, rooms nice, very clean. Teapot and french press a nice touch. The negatives: room is as hot as a sauna. Front desk sent a/c guy and all he did was verify temp but I can't sleep it so hot! Bathroom is so small when I turn around my butt [not very large] hits the door. Overall hotel quiet but I was expecting more from the hot spot of "50 shades of gray" main site! A bit disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Darkside0127,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about your most recent stay. I am sorry to hear you were not 100% happy with your stay. I am happy to know that you enjoyed the style and cleanliness of your room. I will notify the engineering staff right away to have them look at the room you stayed in. I am sad to know you did not get a good nights rest while you were here do to the temperature in the room. We recently had an extensive HVAC upgrade and rarely get a complaint. We will correct that issue right away. Should you find that you will be in Portland again, I hope you will give us another chance. I am sure we can find a room that you will be comfortable in.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Never having stayed in downtown Portland, we weren't sure which of the many hotels to choose. Thankfully, we went with The Heathman Hotel. It's an old school property, in a prime location. All the rooms have been thoroughly modernized, but they left the lounge and public areas looking like a high end hotel from the 1940's. Live jazz music greeted us one evening and front desk service was excellent. Two blocks from Pioneer Square and footsteps away from some of the area's best restaurants (Raven & Rose and Higgins), makes the Heathman a no-brainer for visiting downtown Portland. The Heathman restaurant has received lots of acclaim as well and we really enjoyed a breakfast there. Next time, we'll make sure to have dinner onsite. Overall an excellent place.

Room Tip: You can choose your bed type: size and mattress! We slept on a feather bed mattress which was extr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Victoria S,

I am ecstatic to hear you enjoyed your stay in Portland and at our hotel. It is great to know you enjoyed the ambiance of our lobby and common area. We have been lucky enough to keep so much of the historic charm of this building and it is just amazing. We do have live jazz music Tuesday-Saturday evenings in our fabulous Tea Court lounge. I am happy you had a chance to enjoy this. Thank you for being so kind and submitting your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a random night in Portland and chose the Heathman - lucky us! Personalized service from the moment we drove up, including special attention to our 30th anniversary celebration. What a gem of a hotel! This is our new "go to" spot in Portland.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Melanie W,
I am so pleased to know you had a special 30th Anniversary celebration and we could be a part of that. Helping our guests with their special occasions is the best part of our job. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and posting such a kind review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Warm regards,

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 8 month old son for my wife's birthday. As a present, the baby and I stayed in the hotel while my wife went out to dinner with her friend. I like the coffee in the French Press though it can get a bit messy if you have more than one french press. I also got a burger and 6 pack of beer via room service. The fries were good but the burger left a bit to be desired. The location was great, but the prices were reflective of a more prestigious city. The price was very comparable to other hotels in the area though. It was good, not amazing. It didn't live up to the price tag in my opinion, but my guess is that the other places in the area don't either. Just really shocked at the prices of hotels in Portland. Also, found some old fruit, grapes, when I moved a chair around for the baby's crib. Not a big deal but I don't like paying near 200 bucks for a moldy grape in my room. The furniture should be moved when cleaning between guests. Again, not a huge deal but I would be reprimanded or possibly even fired from my old job working in a state institution if I failed to clean appropriately in a client's room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear TravelingSmythes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. I can assure you your experience was not typical of a stay at the Heathman. Please feel free to contact me or our Director of Housekeeping at jwilliams@heathmanhotel.com to discuss this matter further.

lreagan@heathmanhotel.com