“What a fantastic hotel and restaurant”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Davis, California
“What a fantastic hotel and restaurant”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Beautiful hotel, absolutely perfect location. Great, very attentive staff. Delicious meals at the restaurant. Fitness center small but adequate and you can go across the street to the large public fitness center if you need something more expansive. The history and appointments in the hotel are fantastic. French press Portland Roast Coffee and Smith Teas in your room. I really enjoyed my stay and look forward to returning to the the Heathman.

Room Tip: My room was small but very comfortable, it was right at the front of the hotel but no street noise w...
Green Features: very Portland, extensive green practices were evident, very environmentally-friendly!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Washington DC
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed- it oozes luxury, without being over the top. From the staff at the front door to the behind the front desk- everyone was kind and helpful. We booked a king room, and were shown to a gorgeous corner room- very large, considering the age of the building. The rooms are well appointed- great L'Occitane bath products, comfortable bed, nice and quiet.

The location of the hotel is also terrific. Right in the middle of town- easy walk to riverfront, shopping, restaurants, and Pioneer Square.

Astoria oregon
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The funny dressed man at the door sets this apart but do not let it scare you off. . Complete with silly hat short pants and tights is very very nice. Although somewhat comical is helpful. The rooms are pleasant lots of families on the weekend we stayed there.
The coffee shop was busy and could not get in before 1:00 pm for breakfast. Stopped to get the free cup of coffee but quickly forgot that one.
Starbucks close and went there before hunting out a breakfast that might be a bit more timely.
Good downtown location

• Stayed June 2013
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Journeyman644,

Thank you for taking a moment to submit a review. I am sorry that you were not able to experience the restaurant for breakfast; it is the best in town. Next time you stay let the concierge staff know you would like a reservation and we would be happy to assist you in getting a great table. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our iconic doorman. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Kind regards,

western MA
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just returned from a one-night stay here. It was an oddly contradictory experience--so my 3-star rating reflects both the great things and the one really negative thing that happened during my stay.

First, the positives (which would result in a 5-star rating, if not for what I'll describe in a second): This is a beautifully appointed, immaculately kept property in a convenient downtown location. The staff, especially the bellmen and valets, are friendly and polite. The room amenities and services available are lovely. Portland is a wonderful city to visit.

Here's the big negative: I was refused a room of the type I requested. instead of the double-double I thought I was reserving (my teenaged daughter understandably wanted to sleep in her own bed), I was given an oddly configured, smaller king room. The reason given was that I booked with a travel site rather than directly with the hotel. Yes, this sort of bait-and-switch is in the travel sites' fine print and sometimes happens. Although I believe that it's a questionable business practice, at other hotels I've always been able to negotiate with front desk staff to move to a room that was at least closer to what I'd reserved.

Not at the Heathman. The staff was polite but would not budge--and they explicitly said that it was because I'd booked with the travel site. They suggested that one of us sleep on a cot or the room's pullout couch (would you stay in a luxury property in order to sleep on a pullout couch?) Nor were they especially apologetic about it, so it's clear that this is a regular practice for them.

It's very likely that I will return to Portland, but I do not plan to stay at the Heathman again. There are numerous other downtown hotels in the same price bracket with similar amenities and many good reviews. To those considering the Heathman, I'd advise booking directly with the hotel if it's important to you that they honor your room request--or call the hotel after you book to find out exactly where they plan to put you, and then decide whether you want to keep your reservation. If a hotel is so certain that they don't need my business, then really, why should I offer it to them?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear avivalesy,

Thank you for the kind comments about our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and gave us a “5 Star” rating for the property and staff service. Unfortunately, the request for 2 beds was not directly passed on to us in your reservation. We love partnering with many 3rd party reservation sites; however, we do encourage guests with specific requests to book directly with us. We appreciate your feedback and would like to invite you back! The next time you are visiting Portland, please contact me directly. Thank you again for taking the time to submit your comments.

Warm regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Wow, where to begin with our stay at The Heathman! I had read the other reviews before we checked in but I have to say if there were 10 stars available I would probably have rated this place as a 10!

We opted for one of their Symphony Suites and absolutely LOVED this one bedroom suite. It was so amazingly comfortable that we actually spent a lot of time in the suite when not visiting friends. Every change we had we changed into our PJs and laid around just relaxing. The windows opened in the living room and the bedroom so we had some really nice, fresh air coming in at all times and we slept like a baby!

The housekeepers are superb and ensured we always had what we needed. The bath towels are huge and thirsty. I'm mentioning them because they were one of the items that stood out as far as the suite is concerned. Also, they provide a beautiful french press and hot water kettle along with freshly ground coffee so you can press your own coffee...very tasty! They kept that restocked each of the 4 days we were at the hotel.

There is also a well stocked bar. When we checked in they gave us a little card that paid for the first $10 spent in the bar. Basically enough for one drink but it was a really nice gesture. We bought our own sparkling and still water to keep on hand.

The bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to get out of it. We slept a LOT while we were there and enjoyed every minute of it.

The coffee shop adjacent/hooked to the hotel was divine! They made the usual espresso drinks and sold a HUGE amount of high end chocolates...many I have never seen before. We bought several pieces along with some fresh caramels (which I'm still picking out of my teeth but they were so good). The restaurant in the hotel was SUPER pricey but we had breakfast there one morning and really enjoyed it.

There are plenty of places to eat around the hotel as well as a Nordstrom's, a Banana Republic, movie theater and other things to do.

I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. The rates are more than worth what you get in return. I/We can't WAIT to return!!

Room Tip: Opted for a Symphony Suite
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ScottyHouston,

I want to thank you, first and foremost, for your feedback and comments on your experience at The Heathman. We appreciate hearing back from our guests and want you to know that we have shared your comments with the whole staff. The photos you posted were great as well. I am so happy to hear you had such a fabulous stay with us and will be coming again next time you are in Portland. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Warm regards,

Seattle
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Not one of Portland's hip hotels, the Heathman has a greeter at the door dressed as, what is it, an English royal guard?? We had a great deal on a suite, so we went. My previous impression that the rooms are rather small and dark stays. On the other hand, we had two rooms, elegant and comfortable, spotless and a great bed. Service was efficient and friendly. We hotel hop in this frequent destination(Portland) and will stay here again. We choose among hotels on the www.travelportland.com site. Free parking and simple breakfast is always included, a huge benefit. Parking at the Heathman is $32/night.

Green Features: I think every hotel in Portland, OR is into environmentally friendly. It's Portland!
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in another type of room, the largest suite. We will go back to the other suite which can be closed off. There was a magnifying mirror 2-1/2 feet off the ground with no possible way to use it. I moved a table and chair to use as a cosmetic table into the bathroom. Worked great. The bed was comfortable, the service was the best. The drink lounge is the best and the music was wonderful. A great way to end an evening. We'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Select the suite that can be closed off the bedroom area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear CrownPacificGroup,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear you had a nice stay with us. I will have someone look at the placement of the mirror in the suite you stayed in; we want it convenient for everyone. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Portland.

Best regards,