“The epitome of comfort and hospitality”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had a marathon week of meetings in Portland last week, complete with 16 hour days and many presentations. The rooms are beautifully appointed, with clean, updated and classic decor. Each night, I was greeted with the comfort and elegance of this unique property, and the extra-special treatment from a fantasic staff. Every employee, from the bellman to the front desk to our waiter in the lounge, provided service with genuine care.

I also didnt have to leave the hotel to experience creative cuisine. I ate in the lounge, the hotel restaurant, and the bar. The mushroom risotto was out of this world, and the happy hour pricing in the lounge made it more than affordable to experience a value at happy hour.

The Heathman is in the heart of downtown business district and several theatres. This is the perfect hotel for both business and a special weekend of leisure.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MaryG907786
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear MaryG907786,

It sounds like you had a crazy week. I am so glad we could provide some rest and relaxation for you when you returned each day. I am a huge fan of the mushroom risotto as well, I am happy to hear you enjoyed the food so much. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to seeing you again. Hopefully on your next trip you can come and enjoy all the Heathman and Portland has to offer and not have to work. We can assist you with many activities to keep you entertained while on vacation. See you soon!

Best regards,

Linda Reagan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,229)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was in Portland for business and had a fantastic experience staying at The Heathman. The staff were helpful and nice. The bed was very comfortable, and the rooms/hotel was extremely clean. It's located in a great spot. I will definitely make sure to stay here on future trips to Portland.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Brett H
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Brett H,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My elderly mother and I stayed here for two nights just before Christmas. We booked a corner room so we could enjoy the Christmas lights on Broadway. The room was gorgeous-and I wish reviewers would quit complaining about the size of the rooms. This is an inner city hotel and an historic one at that. If you want large rooms go to one of the more cookie-cutter chains. The Heathman is charming and oh so comfortable. The corner room was well furnished, and well organised. The staff are available to help you with anything. From changing to the duvet to an non-down comforter, opening a bottle of wine, and finding extra coffee (which was delicious). Though everyone raves about the food, I think there are better restaurants in Portland (like the Urban Cafe), but our room service meal was perfectly acceptable and reasonable.

Room Tip: Unless you are from a rural farm, ignored the reviewers who complain about the noise. We were on the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LindaKayJ

Dear LindaKayJ,

It is so great to hear you had such a lovely stay and we could share in your holiday experience. Thank you for the great comments about your room and amenities. And thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Maybe you can make your trip to the Heathman during the holiday season a tradition.

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights for business trip for the third time in Portland. We get a corporate rate so I'm biased about the value.

Overall it's fantastic. The rooms are good but not very spacious so share a room with someone you like. The first and second time I stayed here my room had temperpedic beds and I'm not personally a huge fan. This last time I got a featherbed and it was fluffy and dream like.

Their lotions and soaps are top notch - important when your packing is restricted to a carry-on and you value the products you use on a daily basis.

Every member of staff I encountered was overly welcoming which is nice if you're stressed like I was and had helpful tips and tricks to navigating Portland.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Sarah E
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Sarah E,

I am so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay, even though you working. It is so important to us that our guests get a great night sleep, I am glad you were so comfortable in the featherbed. We will add that to your profile so you get that bed type every time you stay with us. We will see you again next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed a few nights at The Heathman at the start of a west coast road trip. I booked it online as it was the best value - cost under one fifty a night (in august). Great location, very friendly service. Lounge was great although service was a bit slow. There are many great restos in Portland, so I wouldn't stick with this one. Room was fantastic - roomy, nicely finished. Wireless internet seemed a bit slow. Bathroom was great - great personal care products as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nobleea
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We are Portlanders so we know this town. Our stay was for New Year's Eve in a Symphony Suite. This hotel often has very good special rates on their site if you book early, which we did. Our room was very nice, fairly small for a suite. Parking was $29 per night. Bathroom ample and fully supplied. One issue, the pillows were absolutely awful and our friends had the same problem. I think they were originally filled with wet cement and had been allowed to dry out. Need to fix it people.
The hotel ambiance is very cosy, old world and service first class. The food is excellent, we often dine there and the bar has a nice atmosphere.

Room Tip: Never mind the room, bring a down pillow !!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Worldtreader1
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Heathman is a very nice hotel in the middle of downtown. Location is really good. The room is decent size and very nicely done. The staff are really helpful. The valent parking is quite useful, food was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear AbhijitRayNoida,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for the kind words. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel. I hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.