“A wonderful stay at the Heathman”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved it. The location is fantastic; easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. (we even walked to the Rose Garden and back but we were feeling ambitious). The staff was very helpful, friendly and welcoming. We had a deluxe king room and I thought it was very tastefully decorated and spacious enough for 2 people. The bathroom was definitely small but that's to be expected in an older, charming building. The vanity area was large enough to compensate for the lack of space in the actual bathroom. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the linens were great, and we really would've liked to lounge around in it all day. Also, the toiletries were nice. We didn't take advantage of the restaurant or wine tasting but they looked great too; maybe next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Oatmealceiling,

It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel. Thank you for the kind comments. I hope you do get to visit the library and restaurant on your next visit. The library is a real gem and the restaurant is fabulous. We hope to see you soon.

Linda Reagan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,201)

Reviewed November 17, 2012

There were three issues with the hotel room which were problematic and, in my opinion, are basic and should have been addressed before allowing guests to use the room. 1) The vent in the bathroom is inoperable. The room is tiny. The bathroom is tiny too and has no windows. Therefore, ventilation is vital. 2) The lack of ventilation in the bathroom leads to the next issue--dank, musty, bad smell in the bathroom. I asked for the shower curtain to be changed before I left for the morning. When I returned in the evening the shower curtain had been changed, but the new one was still wet and still smelled. I asked for a dry shower curtain, but the new one also smelled musty/mildewy. 3) The curtain rod for one of the windows in the room was broken. The staff person tried to fix it (all the while in our room--awkward), but couldn't fix it. He finally said he had to return the next day to change the curtain rod. All of these issues should have been addressed before anyone was rented the room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank G M
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear G M,
I apologize for the experience you had in your room. We have a very strict inspection program here at the hotel and every room is thoroughly inspected prior to every guests arrival. It is disappointing to hear that these issues were not corrected or caught in the inspection process. I will look into how this happened.
I did want to mention also that we have many room types available of all shapes and sizes. I am not sure what room you stayed in this time but I am positive we can find a room that will be more comfortable for you if you choose to stay again.
Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your most recent stay in more detail.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2012

A small group of Middle Level educators that attended a great conference, and stayed in a fabulous hotel. Location was easy to walk to the local transportation, great recommendations on places to dine, and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for the street side room, great leaves to look at out the windows.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Ginger51697,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We enjoyed the Middle Level Educators group very much. We are so pleased to hear you had such a nice time in our hotel and in Portland.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Heathman is beautifully located in the heart of Portland and allows you to walk to some very interesting sights including dining options, theatres, parks, et al. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They informed me about a wine tasting event in the library in the hotel, which I did go to and enjoyed very much. It is an old world hotel which has its charms in terms of the quaint touches but this also means that the rooms are small, the bed dominates the room, etc. But those are small quibbles in an otherwise great experience. There are other small touches which made my stay really enjoyable.

Room Tip: Portland is a relatively quiet town and there is adequate sound-proofing, so even road facing rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear GoogleEyedTraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel so much and that you did get a chance to visit our spectacular library. I am not sure what room type you were in, but we do have several room types here of all sizes and shapes. Please feel free to contact me prior to you next visit and I will be happy to assist you in picking the perfect accommodations. Thank you again for the kind words.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We just came back from a 5-night stay at the Heathman, and I was very pleased.

Our first impressions were good. Arriving in a downpour, we were greeted by smiling bellhops and a friendly concierge who quickly checked us in. Our room on the 7th floor faced a side street, which all but eliminated street noise. The room itself was cozy and attractive, and offered some useful amenities. Each of the lamps had a plug in its base, convenient for charging cell phones, etc. (and much better than some places, where I've had to hunt for the one remaining free outlet), and there was free coffee and tea available above the minibar. The robes and slippers provided were comfy, and just right for lounging around in over breakfast. I especially liked that the hotel lends you an umbrella (with nicely understated logo), since it rained at least some of the time each day of our stay. My only complaint - our room connected to the room next to us, which was ok for most of the stay (thank you, quiet neighbors!), but revealed its downside (and the reason adjoining rooms are my pet peeve) when a new guest decided to carry on a long phone conversation, every word of which was clearly audible - along with her TV - through the un-soundproofed door. Perhaps there should be a box to tick that says "no connected room, please!". On a purely positive note, the housekeeping staff deserve enormous credit for keeping the entire hotel spotless and offering turndown service each night combined with a quick additional clean.

The location of the hotel really can't be beat. It's right in the middle of downtown Portland, easy walking distance to the Pearl and Chinatown, and not far at all from the major bus/tram lines across the Willamette. I loved having Cacao in the lobby, and though we didn't actually use it until the last day, the library was a nice sitting area. My one minor quibble with the facilities is with the business center. The computer I tried was incredibly slow, with a version of IE so outdated Google popped up a warning about incompatible browsers. The hardware seemed buggy, too, with a faulty mouse and frustratingly unresponsive keyboard. The equipment looked sleek and modern, so it would have been nice to have it function that way, too. Maybe one easy fix would be to open up the printer to wireless printing from guest devices - those of us who care about having the latest and greatest could just work directly from our laptops and cellphones, since printing is really the only service I ever need from business centers, anyway.

In general, we thoroughly enjoyed Portland, and our stay at the Heathman was a big part of that. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Salmon St. or the back, and try to get one without a door connecting it to its...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Emily H,
I am so excited to hear you had such a great arrival experience despite the downpour. It sounds like you had a nice time in Portland. I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with a noisy neighbor. I would be more than happy to place a note in your profile that you do not want a connecting room on your next stay. I have reported the issues you had with the business center computers to the I.T. Department. Thank you for letting me know about the issues, we definitely want the experience with all of our amenities to be a positive one. Thank you for the great feedback and I look forward to see you in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

For a taste of intimate old world charm and exquisite service The Heathman Hotel should be on everyone's "bucket list". The rooms are admittedly on the small size, but in no way dated. And the staff knows how to make guests feel special and most welcomed. Try this boutique hotel!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hgreenleaf2

Dear hgreenleaf2,

It is great to know you enjoyed the hotel so much. Thank you for the positive comments about the staff. They do value their guests and enjoy providing great service. I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Arrived at the Heathman for a short business stay. The staff was extremely helpful at every encounter. I stayed in a deluxe King. Perfect for me while working. The staff also showed me a few other room types for a longer stay I am planning later in the year. The bed was so comfortable and amazing linens made it hard to get up! I love all the artwork throughout the hotel and the library is amazing!
Thanks for an awesome stay, I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Akgirl89,
I am thrilled to hear that you will be coming back to stay with us again for a longer stay. We specialize in providing personal service to all of our guests. It is so great to have guests here for longer stays so we can get to know them and provide personalized great service throughout their stay. We will see you in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.