“Elegant and Arty”

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I love this hotel. It is convenient to great restaurants, the Portland Art Museum, the symphony hall, and other attractions downtown. They have a lending library for guests stocked with books signed by the authors that they thoughtfully purchase in advance of the guest/authors' stay (they did this to me, placing the book in my room and asking me to sign it for them). The service, amenities (such as an iPod dock clock radio with fine sound), comfy pillows, and atmosphere (the hotel is filled with fine, real art, and they have an app with an audio tour) are all great. As is the artisan chocolate shop off the lobby. .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Yamachaser,
I am so honored to get a review by one of our wonderful authors. We are happy we could add your book to our special collection. It is nice to hear you had a chance to enjoy the fine art we are so lucky to display in our hotel. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future.

Best regards,
Linda Reagan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,228)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've stayed twice ad it is great. The hotel has great charm. The rooms are nice sizes and very clean. The stay is very friendly and te breakfast is very good. Also, good location in the center of the city.

Dear livinginlondon1344,
It is great to hear you enjoyed the hotel so much. We can’t wait to have you back as our guest the next time you are in Portland.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Heathman in mid September after winning a bid on priceline. Overall, I can say I was pleased as the priceline bid was half the price that the Heathman was publishing. Location is wonderful and you are close to everything. We did not try the restaurant/bar area. As we are in our younger 30's, there definitely was an older crowd/vibe. However, the menu looked fabulous - perfect for all of the foodies out there. We simply did not have time to try it out.

The chocolate shop next door - Cacao was wonderful. Perfect place to pick up a little gift/souvenier to take home.

We neded up getting upgraded to one of their suites with a music theme. Although the upgrade and additional space was nice, it only had a murphy bed. The 'bedroom' portion of the suite was blocked off and I assume sold to another person. While we loved the suite, sleeping 3 nights in a murphy bed really isn't the most comfortable (are any murphy beds comfortable?).

Staff was great and attentive to your every need. This definitely sets this hotel apart from other hotes I have stayed at. I found the bell hops to be the most informed about where to go and what to see.

Lastly, there isn't a lot of quick late night places to go near around. We had to walk a mile to get to the closest bar/restaurant serving late night food. Most delivery places stopped delivering around 9-10. Something to keep in mind.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Heathman to others as a great place to stay with a definite unique charm and excellent customer service.

Room Tip: The themed suites are wonderful and unlike any other hotel room. Ask if any upgrades are available!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Katyjoy32,
It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed our themed suite. There are 4 new suites and they are beautiful. Each one is unique and comfortable. I hope when you stay next time you can stay in one of the other suites. Also we have toppers to place on the bed if you like a softer bed. Please inquire when you make your next reservation. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

After reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor my husband and I decided to book The Heathman Hotel for our 4 night getaway. Everything about the hotel was perfect from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out everyone was friendly and professional. We stayed in one of the Symphony suites and were very please with the size of the room, the tasteful decor, the comfort of the bed and all the nice amenities from the robes to the extra large towels. I especially liked having a large bathroom vanity for all my make-up needs plus a second small vanity for my husband. We had breakfast several times in the restaurant and enjoyed their bistro menu and free entertainment at the lounge.
The location is also wonderful, only a couple of blocks from Pioneer Square and walking distance from the river front, Farmer's Market and lots of good shopping.
I would highly recommend this hotel to any one going to Portland.

Room Tip: The difference in price between a room and the symphony suite is not huge and in my opinion well wor...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Claucat,
It is so wonderful to hear you and your husband had such a nice stay. I am glad you enjoyed the staff, your room and the amenities. The live jazz in the tea court is a nice treat, the music is great and it is so cozy in the tea court. I am so happy you were able to join us for this event. Live jazz is offered Tuesday – Saturday nights. I look forward to having you as our guest soon and thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed at The Heathman in Portland consistently for the past 3 years, for both business and pleasure. Have had great stays in the past and wonderful service. Not last night. I checked into a room with a king sized bed that was big enough just for the bed. Tiny room, tiny bathroom. Clearly a hotel meant for hanging out downstairs in bar where there's more room. Had some drinks and dinner, went to bed. At 6AM this morning, the man in the room next to us started screaming on his phone non-stop for two hours. I called the front desk and asked them to please ask him to be more respectful of neighboring rooms, especially as such an early time of day. I was told they" would investigate and go from there." Nothing happened. He continued to scream and I never got the sleep in I was looking forward to. Before leaving, I decided to have lunch at the hotel. When I went to pay, I gave my waiter the valet ticket for car and asked if he could please help me get my car, he said yes. He returned with my valet ticket and a charge of $8 added to my lunch bill for valet. Having stayed in hotel, I was already charged $30 for valet. I explained this to the waiter and he barked at me: you didn't tell me that! And stormed off. He returned with a new bill without the $8 charge, then asked if I still wanted him to "fetch the car". Fetch? Not a word I did nor would ever use. I spent $250 on a room, $300 on meals and cocktails and $30 for parking to sleep in a closet, be woken up at 6AM and barked at by a passive aggressive, but mostly aggressive waiter. I used to love you Heathman Hotel of Portland, OR but you lost a at one time loyal patron. And gained a terrible review.

7  Thank nightrider2000

Dear Nightrider2000,
I am so sorry to hear about your most recent experience here at the Heathman Hotel. I apologize for the noisy neighbors during your stay and for the communication mix up retrieving your vehicle. I would love the chance to discuss these incidents with you personally. Please contact me at lreagan@heathmanhotel.com or call the hotel at your earliest convenience (503-241-4100). It sounds like you had many great stays over the past 3 years, I am sad to hear this most recent experience will detour you from being our guest. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Heathman Hotel is a perfect hotel for sightseeing in Portland. The rooms are comfortable and with the little extra flourishes in the room make it a luxurious place to stay. Check out the hotel's library with 1st editions signed by the authors.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Wehogirl,
I am happy to hear that enjoyed the hotel and Portland so much. Thank you for submitting such a nice review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as a recommendation from a travel website. Good choice! Service is outstanding! Rooms are small, very european so some people may not like that. There is art everywhere which is interesting. The rooms have French presses and Pete's coffee, hmmm! The toiletries are L'Occitane. This is a boutique hotel with service and luxury in mind and it's in a great location close to shopping.

• Stayed: September 2012
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear MDRTraveler,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us! We are a boutique, historic hotel and we are glad you appreciated the unique style and service this provides. We are also so glad you enjoyed the art! We pride ourselves on our collection and love when this is appreciated by our guests and visitors. We look forward to welcoming you back!

-Linda Reagan