“If I could I would move in! Its that amazing!”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #26 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I cannot rave enough about this hotel and my stay. I received this weekend as a gift from my niece for Christmas. My girlfriend and I live in separate states, so when we see each other we stay in hotels and spend a lot of time shopping and eating out. Usually we stay at 2 star hotels to and make our experiences outside of the hotel. This trip the experience included the hotel. We received the greatest service you could possibly receive from anywhere in every way. The staff was absolutely amazing, professional and yet fun, starting with the valet, room service, house keeping, up to the concierge. At 1am in the morning my girlfriend was not feeling well and needed an antacid. Within a minute of calling the front desk, we had a pack of tums brought up to our room. For the wealthy that stay in such places regularly, I imagine this type of service is expected and they may take this for granted but for someone like myself, this is the the absolute exception. I felt like the hotel was the vacation. The amenities in the room, the comfortable beds with down comforters, to turning down the beds at night while you are out to dinner. This hotel is pure luxury. Thank you to all of the staff for this amazing stay. I would like to add that the location to the max, shopping, Saturday Market and restaurants of all sorts makes this a complete package.

Room Tip: The breakfast is to die for! Also, the concierge are some of the friendliest in the city!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Dear Reese B,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It sounds like you and your girlfriend had a great weekend. I will make sure to share your comments with the staff. Hopefully you can make The Heathman Hotel your destination spot for all your "get away" weekends. Our concierges are the best in the city and would be thrilled to help plan your next weekend. We look forward to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for The Heathman Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2012

For the past 10 years my sister and I get together for a "girls week" at the Heathman in Portland. We never think of going anywhere else, because of the lovely experiences we have had and know we will have again at the Heathman. The staff is always gracious, knowledgable and impeccably polite, the rooms are comfortable and the restaurant is wonderful. it is in a great central location for shopping and many oth restaurants.
Speak with Conley at the front desk, she is a wealth of information about the hotel and the local area, and Josh at the front door will See too all your travel needs.
Hats off to management and staff to such a well run hotel

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Dear Terri D,

I am so happy to hear that you and your sister have been able to have a "girl’s weekend" for ten years and you chose to share it with us. We feel so honored to be a part of those great memories. I have passed on your kind words to Conley and Josh and of course the whole staff. We look forward to seeing on your next trip to Portland.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I live in Portland, and when guests come to visit, I always recommend the Heathman.

It's centrally-located, which is handy, but the things I love most about the hotel are its character (check out that lending library!), the customer service, and the exquisite rooms.

When we need a stay-cation, my partner and I go there to be pampered for a not-obnoxious price. The rooms sort of beg you to really BE in them, enjoy French-press coffee, lounge in thick robes, wallow in bed, dial up room service.

I'm a huge fan of this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear 1KMH1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am so glad to hear you were able to visit our library. It is a one of kind and we are very proud of it. We have a wine reception from 5:30pm-7:00pm Monday-Thursday in the library. We look forward to being your destination for your next stay-cation.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have to admit, I don't normally post reviews when I have a great experience. I'm one of those only post when things aren't up to par. But we just had such a great experience at the Heathman in Portland that I had to write about it.

This was our second time at the hotel and when we went to check in, their front desk people correctly pronounced my last name -- a Lithuanian name with too many vowels to make sense to most people. But these guys nailed it! And then they remembered that I need a room without any down comforter or pillows (bad allergy). Once they got our luggage set in the room, the bellhop actually got us an additional end table out of another room, so both my partner and I had room to work. This seemed above and beyond in terms of service.

We also ordered room service for dinner and the food arrived piping hot and beautifully seasoned. And I don't know how they do it, but our desserts stayed appropriately cold. What made our dinner complete, tho, was that we could make coffee in the french press that was in our room, so with dessert, we had coffee freshly made to our prissy specifications. I can't say enough how great this was for us -- especially because we are usually such snobs about hotel coffee.

We've stayed at two other historic hotels, but they don't compare to the service, appointments, and elegance of the Heathman. We will be back again and again! (Especially because we love those doormen in their livery!)

Room Tip: The rooms with Tempurpedic beds rock!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Coffeeachiever,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review. I have shared this with the entire staff. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. We have great employees in every single department and they are proud to know that their hard work is making our guests stay so enjoyable. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Having tried many hotels in Portland over past 9 years I had never stayed at the Heathman. I must say the service level and my large corner room are outstanding and who would of thought--a French press in the room for coffee--outstanding.Hosted a dinner in the restaurant last evening and it too was fabulous. I can't say enough good things. If there was one complaint the wireless is a little slow in our room, but it is free for as many devices as you have to log on.

Room Tip: I understand the basic room is smallish and would upgrade if your budget allows. If you are an Amex...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ljgok
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2012

Dear ljgok,

I am so happy to hear that you "found the one". Thank you very much for the great review. You mentioned the wireless speed; I wanted to let you know that we have a few options available. The free internet of course is available to everyone and for nominal fee you can upgrade your internet. We have the details at the front desk. We will let you know the options available next time you stay with us. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next stay if I can assist you further.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

I was in Portland for business and a friend recommended the Heathman. It was an excellent choice for us because we had several meetings at the University Club just up the street. The rooms are small as is typical of holder "historic hotels," and the bathroom is very small. They have a nice shelving unit in the bathroom to add space to sit items like a toiletry bag, but it is cramped as in brush your teeth and use the facilities at the same time. Very nice towels, high quality and not fake. Nice touches like an umbrella in the room -- comes in handy in Seattle. We had a meeting in the downstairs sitting area just off the lobby, which was great. We had to fetch our own drinks from the bar, as the lobby bar was not open, but it was not a problem. Staff were without exception friendly and helpful. Breakfast in the restaurant was marvelous: Salmon hash is a life altering experience.

Room Tip: Several bed types available. I went for firm regular mattress, but also have pillow top and feather...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Jack B,

Thank you for taking the time to review out hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed the staff, restaurant and your room amenities. I am sorry to hear that you had to fetch your own drink. It sounds like you were sitting in the tea court area of the lobby. We offer full service in there after 5pm each evening. We also have great live Jazz music Wednesday-Saturday. I hope you get to experience this on your next stay. Thank you again for leaving your comments.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Classy hotel in an excellent location in downtown Portland. Walking distance to shops and dining. Hotel staff is fabulous, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I stayed in a junior suite which is very comfortable and spacious. I was a solo traveler on business so no complaints about the bathroom from me. Love the lighting and backlit mirror. Great full length mirrors too! My room was wonderfully quite and private. You don't even need to leave the hotel for a great meal as the hotel restaurant is divine. Great little fitness room as well. Highly recommend for the business traveler for the convenience, location and price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear SF Traveler 333,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed dining at our fabulous restaurant. It was nice to hear you enjoyed the back-lit mirrors in the bathroom, that is one of my favorite items added in our remodel. I look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Portland.