“Good value for a short stay”

Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel
Ranked #61 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
sydney, australia
“Good value for a short stay”
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We had a one night stay after flying in late at night. The convenience is appealing, pick up was a breeze and the staff very helpful and happy.

The room was on the club level and was clean and comfortable with plenty of room. The bathroom was adequate, a bit on the small size, but had everything you need. Bed was the usual Sheraton comfort bed. We had no problem with noise.

This is a good hotel to stay for a night or two prior or after flights, but I probably wouldn't stay here for an extended period.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear pipenlea,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property with other Tripadvisor users. I'm so pleased to hear your visit was a good one and hope you will consider our property and other Starwood Hotels wherever your travels may take you. Perhaps we will see you again in the future.

Glen Lewis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My wife and I make this our jumping off stay when flying off the next morning. The lobby and adjecent area are up to date, fresh, clean and calming. The check in staff are friendly and professional. The rooms are larger than many other hotels and always clean and well appointed. Beds are comfortable and the furniture does not look old and tired.
We eat at the resturant and have gotten to know the wait staff who have been there for years. The dining room and food are fine, but not exceptional. The bar will make your good Manhatton however!
The next day they drives to the airport.
We always enjoy our nights there and will be back! Definetly recommend stay here.

Dear OCGordon,

Thank you for the review and your loyalty to our property over the years. I am pleased to hear we are "always reliable" and you can count on us whenever you are traveling in and out of Portland. I look forward to your next visit. When your travels bring you back to the property, be sure to let the desk know you would like to say hi. I'd like to meet you and buy you a Manhattan at the bar.

Cheers!

Portland, OR
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The Sheraton is one of the oldest and most traditional of all the airport hotels close to PDX. Over the years the public rooms have been renovated and guest rooms refreshed.
I live in Portland and frequently stay at an airport hotel when I have a very early morning flight out of PDX (5:30-6:00A). I've stayed several times at the Sheraton over the years, and it fits the bill nicely because of 24 hour terminal shuttle and the availability of "park and fly" packages. There is stiff competition, however, from other properties that are more contemporary in design.

PLUSES;
1) Very close to PDX
2) Friendly staff
3) Attractive, well-equipped fitness room with treadmills, ellipticals, cycles, and weights. A small indoor splash pool is available, but it's too small to do any serious swimming.
4) Large comfortable guest rooms. Bathrooms, however, are a little small.
5) Complimentary internet access (but this is standard for all PDX airport hotels).

MINUSES:
1) The hotel is old and, unfortunately, all the renovations can't conceal this basic fact.
2) Not immediately accessible to a light rail stop (Cascades station about 3/4 mile away; PDX light rail stop in the terminal about 1/2 mile away). Other airport hotels may be a better choice if you plan on going into downtown Portland by public transit.
3) I'm not sure I received any particular benefit as an SPG Gold member--low floor overlooking heating and air conditioning equipment and ducts.

Overall, the Sheraton is a decent place to stay. It may be a little expensive for what you get compared to other airport hotels especially given its age and "traditional" (read "dated") design.

Room Tip: Ask for a "runway" room if you like to watch aircraft landing and taking off, but they mig...
Dear kiwitravelerpdx,

Thank you for staying with us and for your critique of our property. Our location is certainly convenient and our 24 hour shuttle service makes getting in and out a breeze. Although we are not right in the middle of Cascade Station Shopping Center, our shuttle will happily take you to and from there at any time. In regards to your comments on the age of the hotel, we are certainly not the youngest of the bunch at the airport, but we are proud of our property and the shape it is in. I wanted to make sure you knew, over the course of the next few months we are going to be putting some additional work into the property, including new corridor carpet. I hope you will come back to see the changes soon and utilize us whenever you are flying in and out of PDX. If I may assist you in any way, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This property couldn't be more convenient. The 24-hour shuttle is a BIG plus. The staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. The room service personnel are very polite. Bathroom remodel is a bit goofy...mirrors, lighting and electrical sockets aren't logical, but it wouldn't stop me from staying there again. Ask for the rooms at the back of the property; I'm told they are much quieter.

Room Tip: Rooms that are away from the lobby of the hotel are considerably quieter than those that are adjacen...
1 Thank caligal831
, General Manager at Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Caligal831,

I appreciate the nice comments regarding our personnel and location and for you taking the time to share your experience at our property with other Tripadvisor users. It's great to hear we were a good match for your travel needs while in Portland. I hope we get the opportunity to see you again in the future. In the meantime, if I may be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally.

Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Spent the night and parked our vehicle here prior to heading to Hawaii. The rooms are a touch pricey but the free parking while on the trip is worth it. They have terrific rooms and it is the closest hotel to the Portland airport. Prices in the bar/restaurant were great and the service was excellent.

Room Tip: We were in a ground floor room and it was still very quiet. The bed was excellent and the room was v...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear oarsman007,

Hope your trip to Hawaii was a great one! Thank you for starting it off with us and for taking the time to share your experience with others. Yes, the Park and Fly option is a very convenient and "low stress" way to start any trip, and with our location right next to the airport, makes the whole experience a breeze. I hope whenever your travels take you out of the Portland area, you will consider us as your overnight stop before hopping on a plane. I look forward to welcoming you to the property again soon.

Kent, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Cocktails beet and wine included in this club floor. 4th floor rooms have a nice view of the runway. Lounge looks like it used to be a suite then converted.hor deurve and cocktail hour as well as a cont breakfast
Rooms as fairy standard but comfy beds

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Robb T,

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our recently renovated Club Lounge. We are happy with the results and pleased many of our guests, just like you, have truly enjoyed the changes. I hope we will get the opportunity to see you again soon. If I may be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally.

Portland, OR
Reviewed May 30, 2012

For the past several years, my company has held its annual conference at the Sheraton. The staff are all extremely helpful and reliable, from the event coordinators to the waiters & bartenders (Tyron, who has bartended for us several years running, is the best!) We are part of the Portland music industry, and the Sheraton layout allows us to host artist performances without disturbing the entire hotel -- a problem we faced at other area hotels. The staff has always handled our menu requests with ease (including vegan & gluten-free), and our clients consistently rave about the food. In the six years that we have held the conference at the Sheraton, I have yet to come up with a request they couldn't handle -- this year, when the plug of a client's laptop power cord broke, our on-site contact had a replacement cord within 10 minutes! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The hotel provides earplugs for those sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank A A
Dear A A,

Thank you so much for your loyalty over the years to our property. We certainly appreciate your business and love having your group at our property. I am very pleased the staff accomodating your every need and did so with a sense of appreciation. I look forward to seeing you all again in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out, if I may do anything to assist you in the future.